BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Slight steering play in M2C

08-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

My car only has 3K miles and driven conservatively. I checked all my tire pressures, never hit any pot hole or taken the car to track.

Suddenly out of now where there seems to be a little play in the on-center part of the wheel. This misleads and causes me to over turn the wheel when going on a curvy road since there is no heft for 3 degrees of left or right turn of the wheel. Basically feels loose in the center. When the wheel is turned more than 3 degrees either side, I can feel the heft as if the steering engages.

Is this normal part of the M2C character? Or is something off? Did any of you feel the same? Is it related to the differential or do I need a software update? TSB?

Only thing I noticed was that one of the tires was cooler comparatively. See attached picture.
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

Suddenly out of now where there seems to be a little play in the on-center part of the wheel.

Is this normal part of the M2C character? Or is something off?

It's totally normal; the EPS is "active" so when it's not required, it loosens up the slack and can feel sloppy but that's by design not a defect.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ring4/EEpdEE0c
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:17 AM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I think you would have to drive another one to know the truth 100%. Subjective opinions on the steering vary greatly. It's *probably* normal, but hard to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

There have been reports of steering racks going bad too. Does it knock when you go over little bumps at low speed especially when turning?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
There have been reports of steering racks going bad too. Does it knock when you go over little bumps at low speed especially when turning?
Thanks, I will pay more attention when I drive my car next time. Knock meaning like a vibration?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Links to these reports?
      08-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

My M2C has 1,200 miles... there is no play or loose feeling in the steering, on center, or anywhere else.

If my M2C steering started doing what you describe, I’d take it in for service ASAP.

My 2001 Subaru Wagon beater has play in the steering, but this is expected, as it has 212,000 miles.

Last edited by natmad; 08-04-2019 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Sppelliinngg
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
My 2001 Subaru Wagon beater has play in the steering, but this is expected, as it has 212,000 miles.
For years Subaru mounted their steering racks to the frame with clamps that had rubber bushings, and these would allow the rack to shift if you ever turned the steering hard to one side and hit the stop. It was bad enough to totally wipe out the precision of a front end alignment. I don't know if they still do this, but it was a real design flaw.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      08-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
7200km so far and absolutely no play in steering, no matter what position
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Links to these reports?
I read it in the M3/M4 forum. Some people were having a knocking sound from the front left side of the car over small bumps at low speed. Some found play in the steering rack others found slack in other suspension components. I read it awhile back so I don't have a link.
The bottom line is if you believe there is slack in the steering then the car should go in for a safety inspection to rule out anything obvious or dangerous.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      08-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

^^ That sucks. I’ve had 3 vehicles back in the day, (I bought new) that did that. 2 vdubs and 1 Subaru that clunked during low speed turns. It got on my nerves so bad I sold 2 of them. I cannot describe how much I hated it. I cannot deal with this if it’s a problem with the M2. Good that it sounds very rare.
      08-05-2019, 02:50 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

No play in mine at all OP.

What steering mode do you use? Does the feeling change if you change mode?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #13
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

I also feel some vibrations on normal smooth road. I think my wheels are out of balance or misaligned. There's also a slight pull to the left.

I did notice that one of the other wheel has a missing weight. Not sure how this might have happened.
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      08-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
No play in mine at all OP.

What steering mode do you use? Does the feeling change if you change mode?
Sport mode steering !
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #15
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I tested mine in every mode today. Zero sneeze factor. I’d get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #16
Edo135
Rep
Drives: 2021 m135i xdrive f40

Quote:
I also feel some vibrations on normal smooth road. I think my wheels are out of balance or misaligned. There's also a slight pull to the left.

I did notice that one of the other wheel has a missing weight. Not sure how this might have happened.
Quote:

OP I have the same play in the center as you, either in comfort, sport or sport plus setting. Also, you're weights are correct, I have 2 on the left wheel and 1 on the right one. Is yours a my2020 like mine? If so could it be the latest steering software calibration that's causing that? I'm telling you this because I read somewhere on the forum that with this last software update the steering feedback got worse.
Anyway i think I'll take her to my dealer for a check.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdoM2 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

OP I have the same play in the center as you, either in comfort, sport or sport plus setting. Also, you're weights are correct, I have 2 on the left wheel and 1 on the right one. Is yours a my2020 like mine? If so could it be the latest steering software calibration that's causing that? I'm telling you this because I read somewhere on the forum that with this last software update the steering feedback got worse.
Glad I'm not alone on this! Thanks for your reply .

I have a MY2019 and dealer performed a differential update on my 1,200 mile service. I think they might have updated something in that service which is triggering the loose steering.

Did you go through the same type of service?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
Edo135
Rep
Drives: 2021 m135i xdrive f40

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I have a MY2019 and dealer performed a differential update on my 1,200 mile service. I think they might have updated something in that service which is triggering the loose steering.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad too ! No I did my 1200 miles service but they didn't update any software on the car, because I think that being the my2020 it already had the latest softwares from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #19
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad too ! No I did my 1200 miles service but they didn't update any software on the car, because I think that being the my2020 it already had the latest softwares from the factory.
Thanks! I will take my car back and have them check again.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Mind posting a few pictures of your tail lights in this thread?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post25111178

Curious how the new blacklines look on the MY20 models and I have yet to see a good quality photo.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #21
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Mind posting a few pictures of your tail lights in this thread?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post25111178

Curious how the new blacklines look on the MY20 models and I have yet to see a good quality photo.
Here you go

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1628298
      08-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #22
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Those photos have already been posted. I think it would be good to have a photo taken straight on in complete shade and one in complete sun with the cars at the same distance away.
Appreciate 0