BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Visiting BMW Museum & Nurburgring + Swiss Passes HELP

04-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Visiting BMW Museum & Nurburgring + Swiss Passes HELP

Hi All,

So planning a road trip in a couple of weeks around Europe so a couple of questions:

1) To those who have collected from the Welt/visited BMW museum, which hotels are decent to stay at nearby?

2) Worth seeing the Welt & the museum? (depending on time)

3) Sort of prep I need to do before I go on the ring? FYI First timer on a track

4) The website is fairly clunky, does anyone know if I can just show up there and pay to drive around or do I need to book it in advance?

Last edited by Aim.F32; 04-28-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim.F32 View Post
Hi All,

So planning a road trip in a couple of weeks around Europe so a couple of questions:

1) To those who have collected from the Welt/visited BMW museum, which hotels are decent to stay at nearby?

3) Sort of prep I need to do before I go on the ring? FYI First timer on a track

4) The website is fairly clunky, does anyone know if I can just show up there and pay to drive around or do I need to book it in advance?
Check the ordering section. Lot of great threads there about ED. But here are some quick answers that I can help with from our F80 ED.

1. Hilton Munich Park. IMHO the best one for affordability, access to the city center (walking distance through the beautiful park they have in Munich), and easy access to the Welt.

2. Absolutely worth seeing the Welt and the Museum by the Welt. Make the time to see them, do not cut this out. Check the opening times beforehand. As for guided tours, only the Factory guided tour is worth it IMO. Although be aware that it is at 11 for English so you want to schedule your pick up time for before or after.

3. Be aware your insurance will not apply at the ring. Research online on the official ring website about the tourist drives. Pre buy the ticket if you can. Drive slow, let other cars pass, don't be a hero, especially since this will be your first time on a track (which is scary to think about, *shudders*). If you wreck it's on you (BMW won't cover it) and you have to pay whatever clean up/recovery costs the ring will charge you.

4. See notes above. But yes you can buy on site or online.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
nomoracin761.00
      04-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Quote:
Hi All,

I just wanted to add to your second question above.

Both the Welt and museum are a must if you are a BMW fan. In addition, I would try to book a plant tour - where the 3 Series are assembled.

Finally, BMW AG recently opened up their Group Classic Museum for tours as well. It's located a short distance from the Welt.

We have done 2 MTour European Deliveries. On our last trip in 2017, BMW AG gave us a tour of their Group Classic museum before it was opened to the general public. It houses many of their past prototypes as well as the M1, McLaren F1, etc. (https://www.bmw-welt.com/en/experien..._fuehrung.html)

Aside from taking delivery of our cars at the Welt, this museum was the highlight of our time in Munich.

Below is photo link to our 2017 MTour. If you click on Day 1, you will see the day of our delivery at the Welt.

https://scarfonephoto.smugmug.com/BM...-Tour-May-2017

Enjoy your trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Check the ordering section. Lot of great threads there about ED. But here are some quick answers that I can help with from our F80 ED.

1. Hilton Munich Park. IMHO the best one for affordability, access to the city center (walking distance through the beautiful park they have in Munich), and easy access to the Welt.

2. Absolutely worth seeing the Welt and the Museum by the Welt. Make the time to see them, do not cut this out. Check the opening times beforehand. As for guided tours, only the Factory guided tour is worth it IMO. Although be aware that it is at 11 for English so you want to schedule your pick up time for before or after.

3. Be aware your insurance will not apply at the ring. Research online on the official ring website about the tourist drives. Pre buy the ticket if you can. Drive slow, let other cars pass, don't be a hero, especially since this will be your first time on a track (which is scary to think about, *shudders*). If you wreck it's on you (BMW won't cover it) and you have to pay whatever clean up/recovery costs the ring will charge you.

4. See notes above. But yes you can buy on site or online.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I can vouch for Scout13. I crashed a Peugeot 306 GTI 6 at the ring in 2006 and insurance didn't cover it. Don't believe anyone who says you are covered for crashes because it's a toll road. They are lying! I had to pay 2400 Euros and I left my banged up car in the recovery yard near the Ring.

Enjoy!
      04-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
I can vouch for Scout13. I crashed a Peugeot 306 GTI 6 at the ring in 2006 and insurance didn't cover it. Don't believe anyone who says you are covered for crashes because it's a toll road. They are lying! I had to pay 2400 Euros and I left my banged up car in the recovery yard near the Ring.

Enjoy!
That blows! To be fair, the older BMW Insurance for ED for US customers used to cover it. They switched insurances back in 2016 and the new specifically excludes it now.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:

Enjoy!
That blows! To be fair, the older BMW Insurance for ED for US customers used to cover it. They switched insurances back in 2016 and the new specifically excludes it now.
Probably had a few customers who totalled their car soon after ED
      04-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I may leave nurburgring until I've had a couple of tracks under my belt...
      04-25-2019, 03:59 AM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
I may leave nurburgring until I've had a couple of tracks under my belt...
A month ago we were there: I drove one lap VLN layout: GP Strecke + NS so now my (VL)N sticker is 'valid' ), but/and still lots of UK people on track.

As already stated:
http://nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also as I am planning to traverse through various passes through switzerland/italy in the last week of May, anyone from the Swiss region know if Grimsel/Gotthard/Offen or Fuorn /Maloja passes are open? How do I get upto date information on this?
      04-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Cannot recommend Hotel Anna enough! I'm there once a year and it's an absolute highlight.

https://www.annahotel.de/en/gallery.html
Appreciate 1
Aim.F32304.00
      04-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also as I am planning to traverse through various passes through switzerland/italy in the last week of May, anyone from the Swiss region know if Grimsel/Gotthard/Offen or Fuorn /Maloja passes are open? How do I get upto date information on this?
Here you go: https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/
Appreciate 1
Aim.F32304.00
      04-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Probably had a few customers who totalled their car soon after ED
A US citizen totalling an M car during ED: yup, that has already happened in the past.
      04-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #14
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Thanks for this!
      04-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Quote:
Here you go: https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/
I always keep an eye on this website for planning my mountain trips in the Alps and Dolomites (up to date info):
https://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenpaesse
It's in German but easy to understand. Use Google Translate in case of doubt.
      04-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Hi All,

I stayed at the Leonardo (they give you free garage parking) just down the road from BMW classic. You can walk to the welt through the olympic park which is neat, plus you can visit the classic. It's surreal to see that archway after years of seeing it in black and white with planes sitting out front. Nobody driving by gave a damn.

Museum Yes, Welt - just get the car and go. But if you can swing classic tour tickets that was a religious experience.

Not much you can really do on ED but bring tracwrap to protect front paint. Don't overdrive the car, take it easy and no tunnel vision when a renault hatchback blows past you...

Can't help much here but my understanding was they had public days anyone can get on track.
Attached Images

Last edited by Proctor750; 04-30-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #17
skibrian213
Rep
Drives: 2017 Toyota Tacoma OR DCSB

Just got back from a 4/15 ED, we stayed at Hotel Europa. Super close, walking distance to all the old town Munich, free breakfast, free underground parking, and best of all cheap! Highly recommend it.

Re: the Nurburgring, I agree, the website is difficult. I basically just followed all the noise from the 911 GT3s and found the entrance. There's a little booth you buy your pass from. Based on the 1.5 hours I sat in line, buy the ticket early and go back up the road, there's a little pull off where cars line up so they can get in the line coming down the hill...moves WAY faster thru the roundabout onto the track. Definitely agree with above posters, stay right, be humble, let people pass on the straights. I was getting passed by e36s and mini coopers but hey, better than crashing (did pass an F82 M4!). Was my first time on a track as well but I couldn't be more happy I did it. Would have been even more fun if I could go more than 5500rpm, more than 1/2WOT and faster than 106mph!

Enjoy your trip! FYI if you're down in Bavaria, the road going east from Lindau as well as the Oberjoch pass have some incredibly fun switchback sections, M2c really shined
Appreciate 1
Aim.F32304.00
      05-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibrian213 View Post
Just got back from a 4/15 ED, we stayed at Hotel Europa. Super close, walking distance to all the old town Munich, free breakfast, free underground parking, and best of all cheap! Highly recommend it.

Re: the Nurburgring, I agree, the website is difficult. I basically just followed all the noise from the 911 GT3s and found the entrance. There's a little booth you buy your pass from. Based on the 1.5 hours I sat in line, buy the ticket early and go back up the road, there's a little pull off where cars line up so they can get in the line coming down the hill...moves WAY faster thru the roundabout onto the track. Definitely agree with above posters, stay right, be humble, let people pass on the straights. I was getting passed by e36s and mini coopers but hey, better than crashing (did pass an F82 M4!). Was my first time on a track as well but I couldn't be more happy I did it. Would have been even more fun if I could go more than 5500rpm, more than 1/2WOT and faster than 106mph!

Enjoy your trip! FYI if you're down in Bavaria, the road going east from Lindau as well as the Oberjoch pass have some incredibly fun switchback sections, M2c really shined

Thanks for your response! Glad you had a good time!!

Luckily, I've had my run in service done so can stretch its legs a bit more. My car currently has 5000miles and this road trip is going to add another 2k haha.

Just need to book this trip ASAP!
      06-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #19
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So in currently planned to go on the following passes:

- Switzerland: Grimsel, Furka & Gotthard Pass

- Italy: Maloja, Stelvio/Umbrail

Any other passes you guys would recommend?
      06-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #20
alavigne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

- San Bernardino Pass (https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/TripRe...#SanBernardino)

- Splugenpass (https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/TripRe...up/?p=main&n=7)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #21
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Some pics from the trip
Attached Images