BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What will your first mod(s) be?

07-08-2018, 12:51 AM   #67
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

All you mentioning Ceramic, is this the new type of wax/sealant/coating I keep seeing Facebook ads on? Does it really work? I remember when I last bought my car, some guy tried to sell me on a sealant that he swore would last a few years, and I wouldn't need to wax my car every 6 months, etc...

This is legit now? How does it work?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 01:32 AM   #68
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport X1 View Post
As soon as I get it back in Canada from ED, straight to the shop for:
- Full Body XPEL Stealth
- Ceramic Pro
- Tint
- Non-RFT install

Shortly after that:
- Carbon Mirrors
- ModeCarbon Rear Lip Spoiler (like he sharp ones available on the M3)
- Front and Side Carbon Lips
When are you doing your ED? I'm there in 10 days.

Just looked up the Mode Carbon spoiler, hadn't heard of them. $400 is a pretty good price, seeing most of the others and the BMW one go for $600.

Do they have a Canadian distributor?

At first when I saw it, I thought it looked really tall, and I was worried it might be a bit too much... But it looks pretty similar in size to the BMW one, no?

Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      07-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #69
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
When are you doing your ED? I'm there in 10 days.

Just looked up the Mode Carbon spoiler, hadn't heard of them. $400 is a pretty good price, seeing most of the others and the BMW one go for $600.

Do they have a Canadian distributor?

At first when I saw it, I thought it looked really tall, and I was worried it might be a bit too much... But it looks pretty similar in size to the BMW one, no?
I'm actually doing ED next year, around June, but have fun! (I'm in no rush to get the car, especially in the midst of Canadian winter)

You're actually correct, they do look very similar. I was thinking more along the lines of a spoiler like the one they make for the F80 - but it doesn't seem like they have one for the M2 yet.

As for Ceramic coatings, they're essentially a harder, longer term wax. You apply it wet and it hardens over 48 hours to provide your clear coat with an extra layer of protection. Makes maintaining and cleaning the paint/other parts of the car a whole lot easier. Well-worth the investment if you're looking for a relatively care free solution to paint maintenance.

randyt224.50
Stylin.M2270.00
      07-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #70
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport X1 View Post
I'm actually doing ED next year, around June, but have fun! (I'm in no rush to get the car, especially in the midst of Canadian winter)

You're actually correct, they do look very similar. I was thinking more along the lines of a spoiler like the one they make for the F80 - but it doesn't seem like they have one for the M2 yet.

As for Ceramic coatings, they're essentially a harder, longer term wax. You apply it wet and it hardens over 48 hours to provide your clear coat with an extra layer of protection. Makes maintaining and cleaning the paint/other parts of the car a whole lot easier. Well-worth the investment if you're looking for a relatively care free solution to paint maintenance.

Nice! I've got an itinerary right now that's about 2000 KM driving in 7 days. Munich to Austria via Grossglockner pass, then over to Stelvio pass, then see the Neusch castle, then up to Stuttgart for Porsche Museum via the German alps, then up to the Ring for 2 days via the Black Forest road, and back down to Munich.

Yeah, that M3 one looks a bit more understated, which I like. Not as big of a flare and not as high it seems.

For the Ceramic coating, so realistically how long can you go without having to redo it? Vs. waxing every 6 months, in a perfect world.
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      07-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #71
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:

For the Ceramic coating, so realistically how long can you go without having to redo it? Vs. waxing every 6 months, in a perfect world.
Nobody gets six months from simple carnauba wax, unless you only wash your car every two months.

You MIGHT get that long out of a sealant (a synthetic polymer, as opposed to a naturally occurring substance like carnauba), if you are using your car at all.

A ceramic coating is purely synthetic - it is also a polymer. Think of it as a "super wax" - in effect, you are putting on a super thin (microns) layer of silica (glass for all intents and purposes) or other similar constituents, that forms a semi-permanent protective barrier on top of your paint. They are amazingly hydrophobic, and produce a fantastic gloss. They can last for years, with proper wash techniques. They will NOT protect against scratches and swirl marks very well at all, as much as the manufacturers will claim they will.

The lines between the three types of last step protection are becoming increasingly blurred - there are sealants with carnauba in them, coatings with wax in them.... some manufacturers claim to be coatings, when they are really in effect a sealant (see "Polish Angel" - which are excellent products!).

I'm not a detailer by trade, but I am fortunate enough to have my driving buddies ask me to detail their cars - I get to spend time with some gorgeous machines, and the local animal shelter benefits from the proceeds that I receive from the process. I am doing a 911 turbo on Friday/Saturday, and then I get to do a McLaren 570S Spider on Sunday!

I NEVER use a carnauba wax, now - the longevity just isn't there, and that carnauba "gloss" is achievable using other, much longer-lived, products.

If you are looking at using a polymer sealant, look at Jescar's Power Lock - it goes on easily, wipes off so easily it's a joke, and actually will last four to six months on a daily driver.

Ceramics work, but they are not the be-all, and end-all. I feel that the promise of five years+ of wax-free car care is misleading - they will promise multiple years of protection, but ONLY if you apply the top-up stuff regularly, which is more or less a silica coating in itself, and this won't protect your car against swirls or scratches, either. Your coating itself won't protect against swirls and scratches, so after a year or two, your paint surface is going to need repoishing anyways, negating that mega-year protection that you just paid $1500 or more, for. That said, if you plan for two, maybe three years for a coating, then you will love it. The paint will have a fantastic gloss, and stay cleaner more easily.

Just don't pay $1500 for the multi-layer, five, seven year, "lifetime"... or whatever they are claiming, coating. It's not a scam, per se, as the stuff works, but I fail to see how one could get more than three years out of it. And that $1500 (or more) doesn't even include the (required!) paint correction PRIOR to application. $1500+ for just the application of a ceramic coating is NUTSO.

just my two cents.

Last edited by TTBear; 07-10-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 8
M-Pilot4859.00
Lotus99628.00
mikeahso411.50
DARKMTTR229.00
Sideshow269.00
TProfit81.50
M2COMP497.50
Stylin.M2270.00
      07-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #72
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

TTBear Wow, Amazing explanation. Thank you. You don't happen to live on the West Coast of Canada, do you?

I'll be getting the HS colour, so hopefully a bit more forgiving in swirls and scratches.
I haven't even got a clue how much a ceramic coating will cost from local detailer, but it sounds like it would be $1000 plus from what you're saying... I wouldn't do it myself.

I wonder about point even if it would be worth spending that much for a ceramic coating, on HS. On black, perhaps I could see it being worth it, because of how much it'd pop. With Silver, maybe I'll just save the $ and get regular sealant / wax applications.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 2
DARKMTTR229.00
TTBear416.50
      07-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #73
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
TTBear Wow, Amazing explanation. Thank you. You don't happen to live on the West Coast of Canada, do you?

I'll be getting the HS colour, so hopefully a bit more forgiving in swirls and scratches.
I haven't even got a clue how much a ceramic coating will cost from local detailer, but it sounds like it would be $1000 plus from what you're saying... I wouldn't do it myself.

I wonder about point even if it would be worth spending that much for a ceramic coating, on HS. On black, perhaps I could see it being worth it, because of how much it'd pop. With Silver, maybe I'll just save the $ and get regular sealant / wax applications.

Thoughts?
You are most welcome . Just hope it made sense, and helped in some way!

Whatever you do, don't get the paint protection package from ANY dealer - it won't even be a ceramic coating - more often, it will be a crap sealant, that they will insist is "topped up" every year. Very, VERY much not worth it.

Using a coating can be worth it on any colour! It's not just for shine. There are very important UV protectants incorporated into any good last stage protection products. UV is as detrimental as any other factor in the degradation of your paint!

If you don't go with a ceramic coating, then stick with a great sealant. The one I mentioned above is EXCELLENT, and so easy to apply/remove, it's laughable.

If you can apply a wax, you can apply a coating. The paint preparation isn't hard (hey, if I can do it, a mentally challenged garden slug would stand a fair to middling chance of success ). For the $1000 you might spend on ONE application of a ceramic coating, you could have a skookum polisher, all the foam pads, microfibre cloths, and polishing products you'd need to maintain your car for years! it's actually very rewarding.

Good luck with you choice! At the end of the day, just make sure that you DO use a protective product, and maintain it well. I am about to trade in my M235i, after almost four years, and the paint is literally better than most cars on the showroom floor (which isn't actually saying all that much.... dealer paint prep is usually pretty abysmal....)
      07-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #74
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Nobody gets six months from simple carnauba wax, unless you only wash your car every two months.

You MIGHT get that long out of a sealant (a synthetic polymer, as opposed to a naturally occurring substance like carnauba), if you are using your car at all.

A ceramic coating is purely synthetic - it is also a polymer. Think of it as a "super wax" - in effect, you are putting on a super thin (microns) layer of silica (glass for all intents and purposes) or other similar constituents, that forms a semi-permanent protective barrier on top of your paint. They are amazingly hydrophobic, and produce a fantastic gloss. They can last for years, with proper wash techniques. They will NOT protect against scratches and swirl marks very well at all, as much as the manufacturers will claim they will.

The lines between the three types of last step protection are becoming increasingly blurred - there are sealants with carnauba in them, coatings with wax in them.... some manufacturers claim to be coatings, when they are really in effect a sealant (see "Polish Angel" - which are excellent products!).

I'm not a detailer by trade, but I am fortunate enough to have my driving buddies ask me to detail their cars - I get to spend time with some gorgeous machines, and the local animal shelter benefits from the proceeds that I receive from the process. I am doing a 911 turbo on Friday/Saturday, and then I get to do a McLaren 570S Spider on Sunday!

I NEVER use a carnauba wax, now - the longevity just isn't there, and that carnauba "gloss" is achievable using other, much longer-lived, products.

If you are looking at using a polymer sealant, look at Jescar's Power Lock - it goes on easily, wipes off so easily it's a joke, and actually will last four to six months on a daily driver.

Ceramics work, but they are not the be-all, and end-all. I feel that the promise of five years+ of wax-free car care is misleading - they will promise multiple years of protection, but ONLY if you apply the top-up stuff regularly, which is more or less a silica coating in itself, and this won't protect your car against swirls or scratches, either. Your coating itself won't protect against swirls and scratches, so after a year or two, your paint surface is going to need repoishing anyways, negating that mega-year protection that you just paid $1500 or more, for. That said, if you plan for two, maybe three years for a coating, then you will love it. The paint will have a fantastic gloss, and stay cleaner more easily.

Just don't pay $1500 for the multi-layer, five, seven year, "lifetime"... or whatever they are claiming, coating. It's not a scam, per se, as the stuff works, but I fail to see how one could get more than three years out of it. And that $1500 (or more) doesn't even include the (required!) paint correction PRIOR to application. $1500+ for just the application of a ceramic coating is NUTSO.

just my two cents.
I completely agree with TTBear.
Ceramic coating will be best for some one who loves to retain the gloss shiny look on their car but cannot afford time to get it properly waxed and polished.

It is true that you can spend same amount of money to get years of supply and equipment of professional grade job of polishing. For someone who enjoys to spending time to do such task and regularly detail their car with proper technique will not need such application.

Ceramic coating do resist to swirls and micro scratches, and UV. But it is not swirl&scratch proof. Doing proper polishing job with appropriate compound will just do a job to remove any existing swirls and micro scratches anyways. They will NOT protect against any impact damage that is strong and deep enough to damage the bottom line of clear coat.
With that said, I would recommend anyone to spend money on PPF before doing any ceramic coating. PPF does provide a permanent protection against any paint damage (although it will not give you any shiny and glossy look that ceramic coat gives).
Appreciate 1
TTBear416.50
      07-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #75
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Nice! I've got an itinerary right now that's about 2000 KM driving in 7 days. Munich to Austria via Grossglockner pass, then over to Stelvio pass, then see the Neusch castle, then up to Stuttgart for Porsche Museum via the German alps, then up to the Ring for 2 days via the Black Forest road, and back down to Munich.

Yeah, that M3 one looks a bit more understated, which I like. Not as big of a flare and not as high it seems.

Sounds like a great trip! I can't wait to do it too. If you don't mind me asking, is it your M2C that you're doing ED for?

And I think TTBear explained Ceramic coatings quite thoroughly!
I plan to do Xpel full body paint protection film with one layer of ceramic pro over that. Should provide the adequate protection and cleanliness I'm looking for!
      07-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #76
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Great trip plans, will be one to remember.

Last edited by M3_WC; 07-15-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00
      07-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #77
RideZX6R
The Stig's southern cousin
Rep
Drives: SS1LE 427, E92M3, Ram, EV6

• APEX wheels in 1/2 to 1in wider variety with a 265 or 275 series tire up front and 285 or 295 out back (maybe in 18s if they'll fit over the brakes) - Probably an R-Comp tire for track days
  • Raybestos Track Pads
  • Powerstop Z26 street pads if the factory pads dust a bunch
  • 5% tint on all windows / 30% on windshield
  • weathertech liners
  • JB4
  • BMS meth kit (with the 3 gal M4 GTS style reservoir if it'll fit)
  • Custom tune
  • perhaps a rear seat delete?
  • LW battery

Probably about 5-6k but it should be an absolute hoot and shave about 50-75lbs off the car while making 150whp over stock
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #78
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
2) Acexxon Rear Reflector (slat version) loved them on my M2.
Does anyone know if the Acexxon rear reflector set for the M2 will fit the M2C? I don't think the reflector dimensions have changed at all, have they? I may buy a set now while I anxiously wait for my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #79
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Does anyone know if the Acexxon rear reflector set for the M2 will fit the M2C? I don't think the reflector dimensions have changed at all, have they? I may buy a set now while I anxiously wait for my car.
It should, that part of the M2/M2C hasn't changed.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #80
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

All the car needs is MCS coil overs, track pads, track wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #81
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Almost more interesting is this question:

- do the F87 LCI tail lights include reflectors or not?

Because if they do not include reflectors (which i think they don‘t) replacing the side/back reflectors with something like acexxon will be illegal in countries like switzerland or germany.

Imagine you park your car somewhere in the dark and some stupid ass hits your parked car. Have fun dealing with the insurance if they see removed reflectors IF the taillights themselves have no integrated reflectors already...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #82
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

1. Tint
2. GTHAUS exhaust
3. Lowering springs
4. JB4
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #83
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

Quote:
Quote:

just my two cents.
I was planning to have ceramic coating first and then apply PPF like suntek or Xpel on top, is that a good idea or bad. Thanks for great explanation.
Appreciate 1
TTBear416.50
      07-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #84
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I'm not sure about the order of these items:
1. Tint
2. PPF or other
3. Obtain Winter Wheels
4. Get my audio equipment into the car. I know I'm going to need a new sub enclosure and likely racks n things since the mounting stuff from my 340 won't fit. The MusicarNW wizards will figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #85
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
I was planning to have ceramic coating first and then apply PPF like suntek or Xpel on top, is that a good idea or bad. Thanks for great explanation.
PPF goes on first then ceramic coating can be applied.
Appreciate 1
M2COMP497.50
      07-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #86
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
Quote:
Quote:

just my two cents.
Yes, absolutely you can. I did a full, 30 hour detail on my Huracán, applied Wolfgang Uber Ceramic to it, and then had XPel Ultimate applied to the entire car, then applied Ceramic on top of the PPF. The end result was spectacular!

https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...tml?highlight=

There are a few guys that suggest that the film won't adhere as well to the ceramic coating, but that just isn't true. My XPel guy stated that he noticed NO difference.
And you definitely CAN apply ceramic on top of PPF. XPel states this in their FAQ section on their web site! Good luck
      07-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #87
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Yes, absolutely you can. I did a full, 30-hour detail on my Huracán, applied Wolfgang Uber Ceramic to it, and then had XPel Ultimate applied to the entire car, then applied Ceramic on top of the PPF. The end result was spectacular!

There are a few guys that suggest that the film won't adhere as well to the ceramic coating, but that just isn't true. My XPel guy stated that he noticed NO difference.
And you definitely CAN apply ceramic on top of PPF. XPel states this in their FAQ section on their web site! Good luck
This is from their FAQ.

Waxes, sealants and protectants are typically designed to reduce the surface energy of the paint, making them easier to clean etc. A reduction in surface energy will reduce the film’s ability to adhere to the paint and could cause long term adhesion issues. Because of this, we generally recommend removing these types of products before installation. If these types of coatings are to be used, we recommend applying them AFTER installation of our paint protection film.
Appreciate 1
TTBear416.50
      07-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #88
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Yes, absolutely you can. I did a full, 30-hour detail on my Huracán, applied Wolfgang Uber Ceramic to it, and then had XPel Ultimate applied to the entire car, then applied Ceramic on top of the PPF. The end result was spectacular!

This is from their FAQ.

Waxes, sealants and protectants are typically designed to reduce the surface energy of the paint, making them easier to clean etc. A reduction in surface energy will reduce the film's ability to adhere to the paint and could cause long term adhesion issues. Because of this, we generally recommend removing these types of products before installation. If these types of coatings are to be used, we recommend applying them AFTER installation of our paint protection film.
Sure, I am aware of this.

I am just reporting on what I, and others have done, with great results. I have done this on numerous cars, with no adherence issues at all, after several years, following application of PPF.

Thank you, though.

Last edited by TTBear; 07-17-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0