BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Interview with FvM about the M2C

08-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
The original text is in german, so I made a translation of the text using www.deepl.com (a mind boggling translator using artificial intelligence... you may thank me later for the tip ). It is interesting to read what he has to say about (and what the explanations are):

- suspension
- weight
- OPF (on various motors)
- factory installed M Performance parts (or better why not)
- sound
- regulations
- many more...

It gives an interesting insight about "how" he is thinking...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
In our interview, M boss Frank van Meel answers the most important questions about the new BMW M2 Competition with 410 hp.

The BMW M2 Competition provides many answers, but of course there are also some exciting questions about the new compact sports car from Garching. We sat down with the expert for all questions about BMW M and asked Frank van Meel for an interview. The head of M GmbH answers our questions about the engine, the petrol particle filter, the higher weight and the general positioning of the vehicle.

We have already discussed in our driving report how the M2 successor with 410 HP strong biturbo six-cylinder S55 and some further improvements drives and whether it rightly bears the name Competition.
Click here!

BimmerToday.de: Before we come to the new M2 Competition, I have two short questions about the original M2: How satisfied are you with the previous M2 sales figures?
Frank van Meel: We are extremely satisfied, the sales figures have steadily increased. It is well known that we had longer delivery times in the beginning, but we managed to get these times under control by expanding our production. We have already sold more than 25,000 M2 and demand remains high. We are now moving seamlessly into the M2 Competition and the goal is to build on the success of the previous M2.

BimmerToday.de: The previous M2 has received a lot of praise, but certainly not only. Which aspects of M2 have triggered criticism among customers?
Frank van Meel: There was both a and the topic of purist furnishings. This is exactly what makes the car stand out, which is why many customers wanted it the same way, but it was still somewhat spartan. What was mainly seen critically was the lack of double-legged exterior mirrors. We deliberately did without it, but the feedback from many customers was that this design feature of all M models is also part of the entry into the M family. We have reacted to this.

BimmerToday.de: So the engine power was not a point of criticism?
Frank van Meel: The engine performance was never a point of criticism. The car is not so much characterized by absolute engine performance as by driving dynamics, precision and agility - and there was no criticism. However, we have also noted that there are certain tendencies in the competitive environment to exceed the 400 hp mark. We reacted proactively and integrated the new engine into the car to reach over 400 hp.

BimmerToday.de: So far the Competition models were offered as Competition package in addition to the standard model. The new BMW M2 Competition is different because it is positioned as an independent model. Besides, there is no longer an ordinary M2. How did these decisions come about?
Frank van Meel: We will no longer offer competition packages, but competition models. Because we don't see any special equipment here, but a completely new, independent car with more power, more driving dynamics as well as interior and exterior contents. We also had to address the issue of emissions. If we had modified the previous M2 engine in the direction of RDE, we would definitely not have been able to offer more power, even less. That's why we decided to flee to the front and immediately set our sights on the 400-horsepower mark, i.e. we took the engine from M3 and M4 and brought it into the M2. The engine is OPF-compatible and is already in use in the M4 with OPF. In the M2 Competition we positioned it with 410 HP.
With 40 hp more and more torque we had an engine that fits perfectly for a competition model. If we had kept the old positioning, we would have had to throttle the engine further, which was out of the question. The 410 HP are a super combination with the new chassis and the overall vehicle concept. At the same time we want to keep the respect distance to M3 and M4. Therefore, in this case we had to make an exception to the rule and only offer the M2 as a competition, although its price is only slightly higher than the previous M2. So we decided to make only one car, but to make it affordable and not split it, because in this case it would not really have made sense.

BimmerToday.de: 410 hp is a lot for the compact class, but we know the basic engine S55 with at least 431 hp. Why was the output reduced when the end of production of the M4 is already in sight?
Frank van Meel: Honestly, respect for the larger models plays a role here, because they are simply different price categories and you have to pay for performance. If we had brought in more power, the car would have been more expensive, closer to M3 and M4 and thus dropped out of the sweet spot. But the M2 is supposed to be an achievable entry into the M high performance segment.
There is also a technical background, because for a lot of power we also need a lot of air. We have already increased the air intake area of the M2 Competition by almost 20 percent and also improved the cooling capacity for the drive by 20 percent. That's why we can drive more power than before, but for 431 hp we would have to have even bigger inlets in the front and at some point this doesn't fit the overall concept anymore.

BimmerToday.de: What role does the Otto particle filter play? To what extent does it damage the performance and above all the sound? How can this be compensated?
Frank van Meel: Depending on how exhausted an engine is, a particle filter can impair performance. If an engine is already at its absolute limit and an OPF is retrofitted, the changed exhaust back pressure requires compromises in performance. Since our engine can basically deliver more power, the OPF does not interfere in this case. Acoustics is an issue, because an OPF in the exhaust system provides a certain additional damping. We have gone from a single-entry exhaust system on the previous M2 to a dual-entry exhaust system with flap control, nevertheless the M2 Competition is somewhat more reserved acoustically than its predecessor. However, I have to say that we are satisfied with the sound. For us, as for all other manufacturers, it was the first time that we had to realize such a changeover in such a short time, ready for series production and homologated, that was already a challenge. We are very happy about the sound we have achieved.

BimmerToday.de: We have a stiffer front end around the engine, with the additional strut brace there are also new components and the steering characteristics have also been adapted. But the chassis components themselves have remained unchanged?
Frank van Meel: The suspension components themselves have remained unchanged because we had already installed an M3 chassis anyway, which in this segment is more valuable than all our competitors' offers. Thanks to the more direct connection and the stiffer front end, we were able to adjust the steering characteristics, to which we have also adapted DSC and the active M differential once again.

BimmerToday.de: There is still no adaptive chassis for the M2 - why not, even though the components are practically on the shelf thanks to the M3 and M4?
Frank van Meel: Here too, price accessibility plays the main role, as does the distance to the M3 and M4. the M2 Competition is positioned as a purist driving machine in which we leave out many optional topics and concentrate on the essentials. What you see is what you get: Wide track, 19 inch series, not too many, price-driving extras. So neither carbon roof, nor regulated dampers, no carbon-ceramic brakes. These are all topics reserved for the higher classes. And when I look at the price points of these components, some of these options each cost more than 10 percent of the basic vehicle price - that doesn't make sense at some point.

BimmerToday.de: The optional Track Package is only available with DKG, why is there no comparable offer for friends of handsets?
Frank van Meel: The Track Package is aimed at customers who previously had a handset. It includes the DKG, the sport brake and the Vmax-raise. With the Track Package we simply offer a price advantage for customers who want to have these three options. The remaining components, with the exception of the DKG, are also available for the handset, because of course you can also go on the race track without the DKG.

BimmerToday.de: Is the BMW M2 Competition possibly the last M with manual control or can you let the fans of manual transmissions breathe a sigh of relief?
Frank van Meel: At some point the handset will actually die out, at the latest with autonomously driving cars a handset will no longer function. But that will not be the case tomorrow, so there will still be a hand control tomorrow. As BMW M, we are of the opinion that there are rational and emotional points of view. Rational we say as engineers that a DKG with a slightly higher weight offers faster shifting times, less fuel consumption and an additional gear, which is why we would actually no longer need a manual switch. In contrast to this, however, there is the emotional point of view: many people simply want a hand control. Of course, we are the last to refuse the customer's request. You can see over the years that the demand for manual switches has decreased, but I honestly have to say that we have more than 50 percent manual switch customers in our main market USA and there are also many customers for manual transmissions in the rest of the world. That is why we keep manual switches on offer as long as customers ask for them.

BimmerToday.de: That means that the hand control train for the next generation of M3 and M4 has not yet departed?
Frank van Meel: I leave that to the customer. And no, the train didn't leave as long as customers ask for it.

BimmerToday.de: A lot of accessories for the M2 Competition have already been introduced, including some carbon components for a few kilograms less weight. Why are these components not included in the normal price list, for example as lightweight or carbon packages, and could they then also be ordered ex works as retrofit accessories?
Frank van Meel: Because we deliberately didn't want to integrate this into the work. This is because these parts are extremely expensive and few customers will choose them. It would be uneconomical to integrate this into a plant with carbon components and paintwork. We have therefore decided to leave it at the retrofit solution. If you want, you can treat yourself to what only very few customers are likely to do with an M2.

BimmerToday.de: The overall weight is slightly higher than before. Is it just the OPF or are there other backgrounds?
Frank van Meel: There are several reasons in total. On the one hand, of course, the OPF, but also the dual-flow exhaust system and the engine itself are slightly heavier than before. The cooling is heavier because we have to cool much more. Another topic is the increased standard equipment, for example LED headlights, large navigation system, sound system, front parking aid. That doesn't sound like much, but all in all, that's just a few kilos.

BimmerToday.de: All in all, do you think that you can have even more success on the market with the M2 Competition than with the previous M2, although it is already in the second half of its life cycle?
Frank van Meel: Demand has continued to grow to this day. We want to build on this success story. It's not like we needed the competition because the demand went down or because we had to increase.

BimmerToday.de.: Let's conclude with the name of the vehicle: The BMW M2 Competition already contains the word "competition". Who do you see as the most important competitor?
Frank van Meel: Actually, there isn't. We have brought a chassis and driving dynamics from a higher vehicle class into this segment. I think that's a unique offer. In terms of price and segment, the classic competitors are vehicles from the AMG A 45 via the Audi RS 3 and TT RS to the Porsche Cayman.

BimmerToday.de.: Thank you very much for the informative interview!

Source: https://www.bimmertoday.de/2018/08/0...2-competition/

Last edited by ///M Houbi; 08-08-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 6
AlpsRider2865.00
Robin_NL8717.00
ChrisK4449.00
Davil6524.50
cptobvious2531.50
Spare°257.50
      08-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Außerdem gibt es noch einen technischen Hintergrund, denn für viel Leistung brauchen wir auch viel Luft. Wir haben beim M2 Competition die Lufteintrittsfläche bereits um knapp 20 Prozent vergrößert, auch die Kühlungskapazität für den Antrieb um 20 Prozent verbessert. Daher können wir auch mehr Leistung fahren als bisher, aber für 431 PS müssten wir noch größere Einlässe in der Front haben und irgendwann passt das nicht mehr zum Gesamtkonzept.
Quatsch...

Danke für den link.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
...eine der ganz besonders interessanten Passagen!

(...one of the very interesting parts!)

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quatsch...

Danke für den link.

Cheers
Robin
I think that can be taken with a grain of salt. We know why it doesn't have more horsepower...M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
There are more than one thing he said which are quite suspicious... :/
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      08-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

just open in chrome browser and it will translate,

have fun reading broken english
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
There are more than one thing he said which are quite suspicious... :/
like what
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

This interview answered quite a few questions looming at the back of a lot of enthusiasts' mind. Very good read, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Translated link:

https://translate.google.com/transla...n%2F&sandbox=1
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
StLuis51458.50
      08-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
You rock, dude! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #11
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Interesting comments on the exhaust sound. Biggest question for me is how it will sound with the m exhaust. I think the comment that they are satisfied with the sound after limited production time is a bit tongue in cheek.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #12
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

This statement says a lot to me about how he thinks and runs M.

“Buyers vote with their wallets for manual transmissions. Now, being an engineer, I would say from a rational standpoint that even though the manual gearbox is lighter than an automated gearbox, it uses more fuel and is slower, so it doesn’t really make sense . . . But from the emotional standpoint, a lot of customers say, ‘I don’t care, I want to have one.’ As long as we have these take rates on M2, and also the M3 and M4, we’re going to offer manuals, because we listen to our customers. Even though as an engineer I’d say we don’t necessarily need one. If demand is so high, then why not fulfill it?”
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Robin_NL8717.00
      08-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
This statement says a lot to me about how he thinks and runs M.

“Buyers vote with their wallets for manual transmissions. Now, being an engineer, I would say from a rational standpoint that even though the manual gearbox is lighter than an automated gearbox, it uses more fuel and is slower, so it doesn’t really make sense . . . But from the emotional standpoint, a lot of customers say, ‘I don’t care, I want to have one.’ As long as we have these take rates on M2, and also the M3 and M4, we’re going to offer manuals, because we listen to our customers. Even though as an engineer I’d say we don’t necessarily need one. If demand is so high, then why not fulfill it?”

Agreed. Basically, he's a businessman, and like all good businessmen, he's willing to do anything, ANYTHING, so long as it results in higher revenue and margins. (I say this as when I'm not being an M2 fanboy, in my alter-ego I too am a businessman willing to do anything to get customers to give me their hard-earned money for my products.)

What this tells us is that BMW M will do whatever we want them to do... so long as we vote with our wallets. All the discussions on the threads we come across bemoaning the fact that the M2C has heavier wheels or that the M2C gained 150 pounds relative to OG M2... in the end all that griping will have zero effect. BMW M will do whatever the most profitable segment of customers demand. And the fact is that the M2C is in incredible demand, in spite of all the flaws that our hard-core, fanboy community has identified and go on endlessly about.

I keep seeing mention of different M2C's arriving at dealerships and being marked up by $4,500 or $5,000 in this forum, and how those cars get immediately sold. What that should tell all of us is that the market has spoken, the market loves this car, and our griping just isn't going to change S***. Companies don't make changes to their successful products. They only make changes when those products begin to lose market share and lose their profitable customers.
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8717.00
seis-speed2430.50
Davil6524.50
      08-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Agreed. Basically, he's a businessman, and like all good businessmen, he's willing to do anything, ANYTHING, so long as it results in higher revenue and margins. (I say this as when I'm not being an M2 fanboy, in my alter-ego I too am a businessman willing to do anything to get customers to give me their hard-earned money for my products.)

What this tells us is that BMW M will do whatever we want them to do... so long as we vote with our wallets. All the discussions on the threads we come across bemoaning the fact that the M2C has heavier wheels or that the M2C gained 150 pounds relative to OG M2... in the end all that griping will have zero effect. BMW M will do whatever the most profitable segment of customers demand. And the fact is that the M2C is in incredible demand, in spite of all the flaws that our hard-core, fanboy community has identified and go on endlessly about.

I keep seeing mention of different M2C's arriving at dealerships and being marked up by $4,500 or $5,000 in this forum, and how those cars get immediately sold. What that should tell all of us is that the market has spoken, the market loves this car, and our griping just isn't going to change S***. Companies don't make changes to their successful products. They only make changes when those products begin to lose market share and lose their profitable customers.

Well said.
Sadly BMW //M is not like TVR or Lotus or Caterham but on the other hand you get a more practical, a more well rounded sporty vehicle and which is build to last(understatement).

BMW //M cars are a compromise, they always have been.

But Frank van Meel telling us in M2C there are still too little front openings for cooling the S55, hence they are stuck with only 410 HP instead of 431HP(EU spec M3/4) is just utter nonsense.

It's the M2/3/4 hierarchy that makes //Marketing decide as we all know.

Cayman as from an engineering standingpoint, setup/mid engine/size/chassis is a better sportscar than 911 but 911 is King so 911 gets the real deal/engine (GT3) vs Cayman GT4(souped up normal 3.8)
Porsche is doing the same thing.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
dmboone254972.00
      08-08-2018, 02:23 AM   #15
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
In the end, FvM made sure we can now throw a lot of money in the direction of the M2 and M2C. The M Performance parts fulfill almost everyone's wishes.

The only thing - and I am sure they hate it as well - is the fact that the M2C is limited by local emissions rules in Europe and therefore sounds shit and is tuned down.

I am just wondering how much the sound differs between a US car and EU car.

The cooling is interesting... If you stop the M2, the cooling fan keeps running quite long and makes a lot of noise, more than on the M2. Especially in 36 degrees sunshine in the south of Spain. Quite similar to the current M5 which takes about 5-10 min before it stops blowing.

MR
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-08-2018, 02:54 AM   #16
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
In the end, FvM made sure we can now throw a lot of money in the direction of the M2 and M2C. The M Performance parts fulfill almost everyone's wishes.

The only thing - and I am sure they hate it as well - is the fact that the M2C is limited by local emissions rules in Europe and therefore sounds shit and is tuned down.

I am just wondering how much the sound differs between a US car and EU car.

The cooling is interesting... If you stop the M2, the cooling fan keeps running quite long and makes a lot of noise, more than on the M2. Especially in 36 degrees sunshine in the south of Spain. Quite similar to the current M5 which takes about 5-10 min before it stops blowing.

MR
If since the thermal mass of the system is higher it may need to run the fan longer to get to the same temperature.

That, and the code for the S55 DME is probably minimally changed, so any existing behaviors from M3/M4 are carried over where safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #17
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Technically 410HP is maximum because of cooling problems

So this car never happened lol.

Look at that revcounter going berzerk!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #18
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Added to post #1, translation of the entire interview using deepl.com (not crappy google trans...)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #19
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Will there be a 'regular' M2 alongside a M2 Competition (à la M5 / M5 Competition) with the next generation?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #20
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Anyone else get the feeling he wants to axe the manual asap? He came from Audi and you saw what happened to their S and RS models - auto only!

Interesting interview but it left me feeling the day when DCT will be the only option will be here very soon.
      08-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #21
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Manual is dead. DCT is dead. Auto will be the one and only future... :/
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Anyone else get the feeling he wants to axe the manual asap? He came from Audi and you saw what happened to their S and RS models - auto only!

Interesting interview but it left me feeling the day when DCT will be the only option will be here very soon.

He basically thinks it is an inferior model that Americans buy despite it’s inferiority, seems somewhat dismissive? The M2 in NA saved the manual for other vehicles and other markets. Unfortunately, the head of M does not seem enthusiastic about 6MT, as soon as the take rate drops manual will be gone.

I would love to see MPG: 6MT vs DCT over a three year stretch. Many 6MT F80 owners post very impressive mileage.
Appreciate 0