BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

UUC to BMW SSK

whats good ya'll? Searched for this and wasn't able to get the answer I wanted. I've had my UUC SSK on my car since October and since it just feels like shit! I can never get into R or first almost all the time and its knotchy as fuck! I've spoke to Rob at UUC in the past and he seems to feel that there was an install error somewhere. I was thinking of going back to my oem or getting a BMW SSK. Sometimes I just want to drive my mothers clk sometimes, its that bad! Thoughts? Suggestions?
Myles

Last edited by SixBanger; 05-08-2010 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Some people love the UUC. Some love the B&M. I tried the B&M, and it was too extreme for me - not as extreme as you're describing, but still too sticky in and out of 2nd. Then I tried the BMW SSK and I'm happy.

But you said maybe the UUC is installed wrong. So I don't know...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Some people love the UUC. Some love the B&M. I tried the B&M, and it was too extreme for me - not as extreme as you're describing, but still too sticky in and out of 2nd. Then I tried the BMW SSK and I'm happy.

But you said maybe the UUC is installed wrong. So I don't know...
I'm between a rock and no where! This is soo frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

bmw performance ssk is great!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

"...and its knotchy as fuck!"

That's an endorsement in my book. Had the UUC Evo SSK for 6 years in the E46 and have it on the way with the DSSR for the 1er.

BMW's and the Dinan BMW rehash were just to middle of the road for me. Had a B&M on order out of curiosity but it got backordered and cancelled - so UUC.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
"...and its knotchy as fuck!"

That's an endorsement in my book. Had the UUC Evo SSK for 6 years in the E46 and have it on the way with the DSSR for the 1er.

BMW's and the Dinan BMW rehash were just to middle of the road for me. Had a B&M on order out of curiosity but it got backordered and cancelled - so UUC.
Let us know if you can get the DSSR to fit properly without it contacting the shifter carrier in reverse and first. You'll be the first I've heard of to do this on the 135i!

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Let us know if you can get the DSSR to fit properly without it contacting the shifter carrier in reverse and first. You'll be the first I've heard of to do this on the 135i!

Jack
It will be the third install I know of. What are the signs of the contact? Hang ups, friction, noise, not going into or coming out of gear properly, excess vibration? The 2 installs I have had information on are from people I know who are recomending the set up. The installer I'm using was selected because I have heard it is not an easy install. Yet he has not done this set up specifically before. But has a lot of SSK/BMW history. When I told him I was ordering the B&M he was dissapointed and ultimately pleased we'd be doing the UUC.

Now I hope it wasn't a mistake. I really liked the UUC Evo/DSSR in the E46. I had withdrawls driving the 1 home from the dealership after I left the 3 with them.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I have the UUC w/DSSR. Once in a while it's a bit tough getting into first gear, but the stock lever was the same. Over time, that "issue" has faded a bit as well. It's pretty rare that it happens nowadays. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
It will be the third install I know of. What are the signs of the contact? Hang ups, friction, noise, not going into or coming out of gear properly, excess vibration? The 2 installs I have had information on are from people I know who are recomending the set up. The installer I'm using was selected because I have heard it is not an easy install. Yet he has not done this set up specifically before. But has a lot of SSK/BMW history. When I told him I was ordering the B&M he was dissapointed and ultimately pleased we'd be doing the UUC.

Now I hope it wasn't a mistake. I really liked the UUC Evo/DSSR in the E46. I had withdrawls driving the 1 home from the dealership after I left the 3 with them.
Not going into first and second gear properly.

Let us know how you get on.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=uuc

That thread describe my experience with UUC and their DSSR (with Pics).
I'm waiting on Rogue to release their SSK and hope that it'd be better quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
EngPhys09
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i SRM

I have had my UUC Evo 3 on my car (128i) for almost a year now. I absolutely love it.
The install was so easy, honestly the hardest thing I ran into was jacking the car up high enough (first time) and taking off the stupid OEM shift knob.

I've been looking at getting a DSSR and also making some of my own DSSR metal bushings (access to a machine shop helps). To my knowledge UUC doesn't off a DSSR for the 128i yet.
      05-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
jwellsiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i SG 6MT

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
I have the UUC + DSSR and it is awesome. BRR in Los Gatos did the install. I hated it the first week, but then I added a weighted knob and after another week of driving it was perfect. It doesn't feel notchy at all to me, but more of a "click". Very easy to put into any gear, but feels nicely "gated" between 4 and 5 and 3 and 2. I haven't driven other SSK's, so I can't compare.

However, this setup comes out to something like $700 (including install). That $$$ might be better spent on suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsiii View Post

However, this setup comes out to something like $700 (including install). That $$$ might be better spent on suspension.
Not an 'either or'... BOTH!

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

+1 for BMW's SSK - it really is excellent.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Not going into first and second gear properly.

Let us know how you get on.

Jack
It's in.

No binding, clearance or tolerance issues. Shifting is very-very precise, deliberate and smooth. Just enough resistive feedback to know it is in gear solidly. Not 'notchy' as described negatively by others but almost as if it were magnetic at each gear so it gives a bit of resistance and then is sort of 'magnetically' sucked into gear. Just the reverse on the way out of each gear and a short throw to the next gear - each with a consistent feel whether up or down.

In neutral the shift knob sits perfectly centered.

It's even better than the EVO I had in the E46. But that may be because I'm comparing a SSK that is hours old to one I had for at least 5 years.

But I know I love it........

Oh...

I also ordered the UUC RK Shadow shift knob but forgot it uses the BMW blue as it's accent color - they were backorderd on the matte steel one. I'm doing a red on black thing and all my roundels are now red and black - including the steering wheel emblem. So the blue sticks out. I'll keep the stock knob since it's not exactly ugly. So I'll be selling the RK Shadow. If anyone is interested just PM me.
Attached Images

Last edited by rsjean; 05-11-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

A few days into the new UUC SSK and hundreds of shifts later - still flawless. Positive shifts, smooth with just the right amount of feedback. No hesitation or binding on really really fast shifts. No odd noises or vibrations. Allows the right facing palm technique for 3rd-4th shifts to keep from ever having the 3rd-2nd mishap. A comfortable throw in all gears up or down.

And feels like it will last forever.

Appreciate 0