BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

If you have sat in/driven the car...

How is the visibility forward, specifically through the top zone of the windshield? A pet peeve of mine with very many if not most sport(y) cars these days is their bunker-box forward visibility. While really low greenhouses look cool on concept cars they're a PITA to live with. I like to be able to see some sky when driving, not just the road ahead, and even though I am only 5'11" some recent sitdowns (Mini, MX-5) were not good in this regard. (Honda is one company that actually gets this right.)

Love to hear from others on how this aspect of visibility looks to be with the 1 coupes (and please mention your height - thanks).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I drive E87 130i and am 6'1" - I have no complaints with the forward visibility which will be identical to the coupe.
      01-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'm 5' 11'' with a longish torso and had no problem with visibility or with head clearance when I sat in one at the dealer's.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Rephlex, I am 6'1" also - glad to hear you have no issues with the visibility - what about just plain ole head room and shoulder room - how does it feel to you?

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGrande View Post
Rephlex, I am 6'1" also - glad to hear you have no issues with the visibility - what about just plain ole head room and shoulder room - how does it feel to you?
Again, no problems. It isn't that small a car. I have a sunroof too, and children with child seats in the rear sometimes. Driving position is excellent. As with most BMW's the seat is quite low so this helps (for instance, compared to a Golf).
      01-20-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rephlex View Post
Again, no problems. It isn't that small a car. I have a sunroof too, and children with child seats in the rear sometimes. Driving position is excellent. As with most BMW's the seat is quite low so this helps (for instance, compared to a Golf).
That sounds re-assuring! Thanks and enjoy!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
How's the room in the rear for your children when they are in their cars seats? My daughter uses a booster seat, so I would like to know how tight it will be in the back.

Glad to hear the seating position up front is fairly low.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
How's the room in the rear for your children when they are in their cars seats? My daughter uses a booster seat, so I would like to know how tight it will be in the back.

Glad to hear the seating position up front is fairly low.
No problems at all - it even takes adults!

Just to clarify mine is the 5dr hatch and I answered originally about room/visibility up front as it is identical to the coupe. I'd assume the coupe is more cramped in the back.
      01-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
No problems at all - it even takes adults!

Just to clarify mine is the 5dr hatch and I answered originally about room/visibility up front as it is identical to the coupe. I'd assume the coupe is more cramped in the back.
Thanks, I'm sure ingress and egress will be more difficult with the coupe, but I would expect the actual seating room to be comparable.

BTW, I saw the pics of your hatch, and I think the CF accents, especially the front splitters, look great. I can't wait to see what is released for the coupe. I'm all about subtle CF accents.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post

BTW, I saw the pics of your hatch, and I think the CF accents, especially the front splitters, look great. I can't wait to see what is released for the coupe. I'm all about subtle CF accents.
Thanks :smile: I'm quite pleased they have a subtle effect that is appreciated by those in the know and ignored by everyone else :wink:

I reckon you should be in luck, the BMW CF parts are in the UK accessories catalogue. They are made for BMW by an aftermarket supplier; the quality is good and they are a fraction of the price of near identical parts from other aftermarket companies. The 135i is already on sale here so you will probably be able to order from Europe if they appear.