BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Aftermarket Sway Bars?

06-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #1
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Aftermarket Sway Bars?

Has anyone swapped out the OEM sway bars for larger aftermarket units?

I peaked under front of car and it doesn't look like an easy job.

Also, suggestion in US or Canada suppliers?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #2
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogk View Post

I have the dinan swaybars, I got them from Harold at hpautosport (forum sponsor) and I'm really happy with them. I have the HP Autosport front endlinks and SPL rears. I have not yet swapped the rear bar but plan to. The front bar is not too bad, maybe 90 mins to 2 hours. I would for sure swap the rear endlinks (they are a hard plastic) when you do it but the bar I think is fairly marginal returns.

PS I liked them so much that I added Ohlins road and track coilovers to the car since getting the swaybars and now it's perfect 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #3
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
I have the dinan swaybars, I got them from Harold at hpautosport (forum sponsor) and I'm really happy with them. I have the HP Autosport front endlinks and SPL rears. I have not yet swapped the rear bar but plan to. The front bar is not too bad, maybe 90 mins to 2 hours. I would for sure swap the rear endlinks when you do it but the bar I think is fairly marginal returns.

PS I liked them so much that I added Ohlins road and track coilovers to the car since getting the swaybars and now it's perfect 👍🏽
In your M2 CS or M2 or M2C?
      06-04-2021, 11:39 PM   #4
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
I have the dinan swaybars, I got them from Harold at hpautosport (forum sponsor) and I'm really happy with them. I have the HP Autosport front endlinks and SPL rears. I have not yet swapped the rear bar but plan to. The front bar is not too bad, maybe 90 mins to 2 hours. I would for sure swap the rear endlinks when you do it but the bar I think is fairly marginal returns.

In your M2 CS or M2 or M2C?
OG M2 - I forgot to mention the reason for doing the rear endlinks is because they're a hard plastic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
OG M2 - I forgot to mention the reason for doing the rear endlinks is because they're a hard plastic.
Nice stance.
Appreciate 1
Poffman494.00
      06-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:

The front shouldn't much of a pain at all, but in the rear you need a lift since you have to lower the rear subframe (bar mounts on top of it unfortunately). The M2/M3/M4 all use the same setup regardless of their version.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The front shouldn't much of a pain at all, but in the rear you need a lift since you have to lower the rear subframe (bar mounts on top of it unfortunately). The M2/M3/M4 all use the same setup regardless of their version.
I am guessing/hoping the front will be fairly easy since I have had the front end apart a ton recently. The front is UNDER the subframe thankfully so looks like the brackets and end links and its out.

The rear.. yeah.. not so much. I did front and rear on my F32, both painfully above the subframe and did a DIY video on it. My guess for the F87 rear is it can be done similarly by gapping/sagging the subframe and working the bar out, but dont know that for certain yet.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:21 PM   #8
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I am guessing/hoping the front will be fairly easy since I have had the front end apart a ton recently. The front is UNDER the subframe thankfully so looks like the brackets and end links and its out.

The rear.. yeah.. not so much. I did front and rear on my F32, both painfully above the subframe and did a DIY video on it. My guess for the F87 rear is it can be done similarly by gapping/sagging the subframe and working the bar out, but dont know that for certain yet.
Yeah, according to a number of people and this video:

Seems changing the rear sway bar isn't worth the effort. I may just go with the M2 CSR front sway bar in the video.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:58 PM   #9
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, according to a number of people and this video:

Seems changing the rear sway bar isn't worth the effort. I may just go with the M2 CSR front sway bar in the video.
If you can get it.. I have been trying for all this week. Apparently you have to provide a ludicrous amount of proof you are offroad (race) only including a copy of a "racing license".

I have that from 3 dealerships now including the one linked in that video, though personally I wouldn't do business with them.

Still trying to find a a source.. being told these are BMW Corp requirements, no exceptions

Honestly angry about it. The bar is identical to the HR bar you can buy anywhere, and I also want the kidney screens.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you can get it.. I have been trying for all this week. Apparently you have to provide a ludicrous amount of proof you are offroad (race) only including a copy of a "racing license".

I have that from 3 dealerships now including the one linked in that video, though personally I wouldn't do business with them.

Still trying to find a a source.. being told these are BMW Corp requirements, no exceptions

Honestly angry about it. The bar is identical to the HR bar you can buy anywhere, and I also want the kidney screens.
Is this the same case from BMW Northwest and BMWpartswholesale as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #11
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Is this the same case from BMW Northwest and BMWpartswholesale as well?
I reached out to:

BMW Seattle - Cant do Motorsport parts
BMW NW/Fife - Can do the parts, same requirements, wouldnt do business with them regardless
BMW Monterey - Same requirements, they at least are talking to their Motorsport contact about this. They also say they have NEVER gotten a Motorsport order EVER.
BMWpartsdirect - Cannot order
GetBMWparts - cannot order

I reached out to AP in the UK as they list the parts, so maybe they can get them, no response so far.

Here is the specific requirements and the email I got from Monterey. (Fife didnt even bother, just sent back an all caps email that was rude and didnt provide any additional information.

Thanks for your order.
I see that you are ordering Motorsport Parts. For us to order Motorsport Parts for you we are contractually bound to get some information from you as follows. Once you can satisfy all of this and return the Waiver we can follow through with the order. The waiver is attached.

5) To prevent any risk related to the sale or installation of BMW Motorsport Parts, [BMW Dealer] agrees to obtain from every Motorsport Customer, in writing:

• Verification that the Motorsport Customer is licensed by SCCA, BMW CCA, FIA, IMSA or has equivalent experience 3 and is authorized to use Racing Vehicles in closed-course track racing;
• A Racing/Off-Road Parts Disclaimer, Waiver and Release (the “Disclaimer”) in the form attached as Exhibit D. [BMW Dealer] agrees to notify BMW NA of the name of those Motorsport Customers with whom it does business and maintain a copy of all Disclaimers at its principal place of business and make the same available for inspection at BMW NA’s discretion. Failure to obtain accurate information on the Disclaimer and maintain such Disclaimers for BMW NA’s inspection will disqualify [BMW Dealer] from the program;
• An acknowledgment that the Motorsport Customer understands and agrees that the Racing Vehicle is in a race configuration, is not a passenger car as that term is used in 15 U.S.C. § 1231 (c), and does not meet EPA, NHTSA, or any other applicable federal, provincial, or state safety and emission rules and regulations governing vehicles used on public roads;
• Certification that the Motorsport Customer will maintain usage of BMW Motorsport Parts for closed-course track racing purposes only, and will never modify or allow any Racing Vehicles to be modified for use other than on a track in a Motorsport activity; and
• An acknowledgment and agreement that the Motorsport Customer will not license or register the Racing Vehicle to be driven as a “street legal” vehicle and will not allow the Racing Vehicle to be driven on any street or public road.

It is a lot to do but it is what BMW requires.
We’ll hold the order till we have this information for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #12
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your info.

Yeah, so what was the point of that video then
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your info.

Yeah, so what was the point of that video then
I don't blame Farkle whatsoever and is a really great video imho. I bet he didn't know about these requirements, and even the dealerships are not to blame here. The rule from Motorsport is absolutely ridiculous, especially when things like the sway bars are literally the same you can buy commercially elsewhere.

THAT is something that we should be mad about but I don't even know where to lodge that complaint. The dealerships can't do anything about it.
Appreciate 0