BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Issues 3>2 Downshifting 6MT

07-12-2022, 07:59 PM   #23
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Seems like the two quotes above suggest otherwise? Also, why the condescension? Maybe over your 60 track days you're able to better execute your downshifts before corner entry? Or maybe at the tracks you frequent, 2nd isn't necessary (definitely not needed at LRP)?

You're definitely right not to jump to spending money! fleetfoot go test it on the street (various settings on / off). Again emphasis on in a straight line which should be the goal anyhow. Try various shifting orientations (palm facing driver side, palm facing down, shifting more with fingers just under the shifter knob, etc). See if you find any improvement.

But regardless of your albeit limited experience vs the collective tracking community, the OEM mounts can accommodate enough play when under load that the gates effectively no longer "align".

I didn’t intend to be condescending to anyone so apologies if my writing came across that way. Just attempting to share my experience and provide a different viewpoint that it is in my opinion not a case of weak motor and / or transmission mounts but rather something OP is doing in order to save him some money. I think possibly the way I worded my initial response could have been more precise.

The point of mentioning my experience is that if there was an inherent problem with the stock mounts, then why wouldn’t I have experienced issues as well given the amount of time I’ve spent on track with sticky rubber, camber and stiffened suspension which can handle even higher loads? And I do track at multiple circuits that require 2nd gear, including Palmer and Thompson. I also didn’t encounter this issue from any of the other M2 drivers I’ve discussed things with. Unless some model years have different parts, which I don’t think is the case.

As you are suggesting, I’d also advocate for OP to first rule out something he may be doing. Then he can use his saved money on unneeded parts on something fun, like better tires.
      07-12-2022, 08:02 PM   #24
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I feel no difference in this quality with this transmission vs my Z4M or Mazda 3. In fact, it is much easier than with the Z4M.

Anyway, it is pretty much impossible for what you're saying to be true when auto rev match is enabled. The car has zero control of the transmission. You would think it's actually going to be easier to get past the gate, maybe the synchros somehow. I've never heard anyone else on this forum or the F8x forum say this.
IDK. Maybe it's the synchros, maybe my car is unique, maybe it's something I'm doing? But like I said, never had an issue when auto blip is off but the car has done this since new with auto blip on.

Last edited by dvas; 07-12-2022 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #25
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
The point of mentioning my experience is that if there was an inherent problem with the stock mounts, then why wouldn’t I have experienced issues as well given the amount of time I’ve spent on track with sticky rubber, camber and stiffened suspension which can handle even higher loads? And I do track at multiple circuits that require 2nd gear, including Palmer and Thompson. I also didn’t encounter this issue from any of the other M2 drivers I’ve discussed things with. Unless some model years have different parts, which I don’t think is the case.
I would say that there are a couple reasons you might not experience this but others and the OP can. First, you might be better at shifting when there is no lateral load on the car. This typically happens when you're late and in a turn and trying to grab a gear. Second, your mounts might be in better shape than OPs somehow or just the tolerances stack up better for your car.

I have seen this complaint on M cars a lot over the years. Denial into 2nd when in a turn is pretty common I'd say. I've heard occasionally it from E46 M3 owners, E92 M3 owners, Z4M owners, F8x owners, etc. I followed the Z forums the most and know that most people that encountered this denial were able to help it at least with the engine and/or transmission mounts. It was really prevalent on the Z4M, I even experienced it on the street. BMW just tends to use soft mounts for NVH and this is a possible side effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #26
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

Thanks for all the ideas and feedback. A few thoughts:
1) I'm going to hold off on motor mounts since I can focus on shifting in a straight line instead.

2) I've always shifted with a side grip, but recently moved to more of a top grip for safety reasons. However, I think the top grip could be part of the issue. Today I tried going back to a side grip, but applying the safe-shifting techniques (palm of hand, just fingers, pushing away, etc.). Also, I've been reading a lot about workplace ergonomics recently, and the side grip is a much more ergonomic arm position, so I suspect it might have better control.

3) My car is 5 years old now with 15,000 miles, and I've never changed the transmission fluid. On my other cars I typically swap fluid every 30,000 miles which ends up being every 2 years. But perhaps 5 year old fluid has degraded some, particularly after some track days? I've heard fluid expires in un-opened bottles on the shelf, so I assume it would expire in the transmission as well. I'm aware of the "lifetime fill" guidance from BMW. I don't buy it since shifts in my other cars always get smoother after a flush. I'm on the track this weekend, but planning to do a flush afterwards.
      07-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #27
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

Update after being on track this weekend: I didn't have any situations where I needed 2nd gear at Road Atlanta, so I wasn't able to try any alternate approaches there. But I did end up staying with a "top" hand grip while moving my elbow over to the armrest for shifts, and it worked perfectly all weekend going back and forth between 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

I think I may just avoid 2nd gear on the track going forward.
bentom2335.50
      07-18-2022, 08:40 AM   #28
alkatraz
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Garage List
Glad to hear it's not just me who's had this.

Exact same, only happens on the track under lateral load.

I'm going to try to downshift earlier before the turn in.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #29
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

If it helps:

Trouble finding 2nd gear under load https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739227
Appreciate 1
fleetfoot120.00