BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 Owner Experience Thread

03-24-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Bootmod3 Owner Experience Thread

I know there are a few other BM3 threads already but I hope to keep this one focused on owner experience and feedback. I have BM3 Stg2 installed for a week now and here are my quick thoughts so far. I have a Fabspeed Sport Cat installed since December. Stock everything else.

Power
On casual driving it feels completely stock in power and power delivery. There's definitely much more power and faster at WOT. I am not able to offer a fair assessment on power increase during WOT because the winter tires are still lighting up DSC at 75mph. Have to wait until summer tires to go back on to sample the tune's full power increase.

Throttle Response
Could not feel a difference from stock in each respective mode. Kind of disappointed about this...

Burble / Exhaust Runoff
It is extended from stock 1-2 seconds to 3-5 seconds. I personally like it but not sure how pedestrians would take it. I have kept a close eye on reactions and luckily no dirty looks yet.

Loud Cold Start
It's gone. I am happy (probably so are my neighbors).

GTS DCT
Hated it! Casual driving in auto mode, it is in two gears higher than what I think it reasonably ought to be. It goes up to 6th at 32mph and 7th at 40mph, stationing at around the 1200rpm range. It's like that in all three driving modes. Great for those that want to be hyper-miling but the rapid and frequent shifting annoys the crap out of me, not to mention the sound and power at that rpm suck. The up shift though is more crisp.

In manual mode, the up shift becomes less crisp. It suspends there for like half second before it up shifts. It's almost like it reversed the up shift characteristics between auto and manual mode. The delay though does seem lessened or perhaps even gone away when the car has been driven for awhile or fully warmed up.

Lastly it adds an 'M' to the gear indicator in manual mode (M1, M2...). I hated that, too, as it's just added noise to what is already an undersized indicator.

Install
Not bad but not great either. Having to locate a laptop with Ethernet port nowadays is a pain (VF uses USB port). Official install direction is fragmented and incomplete in the form of FAQ. There's a helpful instruction thread here that's much better than anything on their website but they should be the one authoring such document.

Customer Service Response
Fast. My ticket was attended to within a few hours

I hope other BM3 owners chime in to share their thoughts and compare notes
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 5
mrmjk125.50
SeanWRT3179.00
S1monQc223.50
ceedawg467.50
specka71.00
      03-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the review...
I am still trying to get up and running. Still have not got the communication going to get my set up activated.

But I can chim in on the GTS flash since I had it coded on my old M4 which I am going to go out on a limb and say it is just a canned file from the original BMW DCT file. It sux ass compared to what we are normally used to but we are creatures of habit and what we are used to is a tamed down package made for daily city drivability. If your first F8x was the M4 GTS you probably would not think as such. It does seem to be all backwards, the way it shifts when your not in the throttle.....it always short shifts up. Then when you in the throttle the shifts are at carried up to a higher RPM before completing. But what it does do is increase clamping power which is a good thing. Not sure if it is needed since the M2 rarely reaches 500hp compared to the S55 which is just getting warmed up there and the trans starts slipping at 600? Also when I was on the gas in the M4 in sport+ mode it used to have overly violent shifts, and the gTS flash changed that which I think assists in dependability under hard load driving.

Now I thought depending on the drive mode selected the shift crispness should change somewhat and it should be effected more by throttle input. If we are driving miss daisy then is probably shifts like a girl. if we are on the throttle like yesterdays GTLM then it should shift nice and crisp.

So is it the way the German car engineers feel a real performance DCT should be? Who knows....It should result in better overall performance I guess or they probably would not install it a std on their echelon cars
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      03-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Thanks for the review...
I am still trying to get up and running. Still have not got the communication going to get my set up activated.

But I can chim in on the GTS flash since I had it coded on my old M4 which I am going to go out on a limb and say it is just a canned file from the original BMW DCT file. It sux ass compared to what we are normally used to but we are creatures of habit and what we are used to is a tamed down package made for daily city drivability. If your first F8x was the M4 GTS you probably would not think as such. It does seem to be all backwards, the way it shifts when your not in the throttle.....it always short shifts up. Then when you in the throttle the shifts are at carried up to a higher RPM before completing. But what it does do is increase clamping power which is a good thing. Not sure if it is needed since the M2 rarely reaches 500hp compared to the S55 which is just getting warmed up there and the trans starts slipping at 600? Also when I was on the gas in the M4 in sport+ mode it used to have overly violent shifts, and the gTS flash changed that which I think assists in dependability under hard load driving.

Now I thought depending on the drive mode selected the shift crispness should change somewhat and it should be effected more by throttle input. If we are driving miss daisy then is probably shifts like a girl. if we are on the throttle like yesterdays GTLM then it should shift nice and crisp.

So is it the way the German car engineers feel a real performance DCT should be? Who knows....It should result in better overall performance I guess or they probably would not install it a std on their echelon cars
Here has been my experience. I had an M4 with Jb stage 1 and loved it. I ended up getting an X5 jb4 (long story) and liked how easily it was to use maps, logging, Bluetooth, and such. It was great for those cars but i learned not so for the M2.

I agree with OP for most of what was said. I went with BM3 because of the rave reviews the forum was giving for increased hp, reliability, oem like power delivery, customer service, customization and pricing. To let u know i have ER FMIC, catted DP, and chargepipes.

As respects to tuning, I did OBD flash unlock not by pulling out DME so not sure if there are different reactions to everything else or not.

I initially brought my laptop to tune stg 2 and agree instructions really leave a lot to be desired and added to install time and frustration. The actual flash process was quick but I found myself downloading 2 different set of agent zip files from different posts. I played around awhile and got stg 2 working. I honestly cant tell much butt dyno with or without the tune. My bro has a 435 with ER FBO, map 7 e30 jb4 and used to pull slightly. After I got my DP and bm3 stg 2, i was basically even to slightly faster (not by very much at all). The issue I am having is the misfire at around 6k rpm. I am waiting on my logs to be looked at as I know the colder spark plugs and tighter gap are recommended so hoping that is the issue. I seem to be only one not enjoying full stg 2. What i dont get is if its not the plugs isnt it the hpfp cutting out? If so, how is anyone running stg 2 or the E30 unless changing gears prior to 6k.

The other issue i had was i bit the bullet and bought the wifi agent. Again, i seem to be the only one posting real issues with it. When it arrived it said I needed to update the agent on the app. Turns out I had to tske out the memory card (micro) and download the latest version. Luckily walgreens was open as i had to go buy an adapter to fit the micro card into pc. Once i downloaded the file the pc said i had to format. Instructions dont mention anything about thst. Long story short, i spent about 8 hours on a saturday trying to get the thing to work. When i finally connected to bm3 servers the wifi agent and app are kind of whack. You need to be real close to your signal, it interferes with apple carplay, it sometimes freezes, it took me 2 days to figure out i was supposed to plug my phone into the agent and enable hotspot, and then i always seem to have to log back in whether online or offline and it doesnt save your login info. Really annoying.

At this point I can log on the wifi but i get an error flash when trying to switch stages so im left with whatever i tuned on the laptop at home. I contacted bm3 and supposedly an ios bm3 app update is pending with apple.

So in conclusion im not really happy with the whole process so far. Perhaps i have an incorrect tune or missing something as respects to login, wifi agent, etc but I wouldnt recommend bm3 as im out $900, frustrated to max, and havent felt much difference.
Appreciate 1
RedCarrot230.50
      03-25-2018, 02:58 AM   #4
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
I have BM3 stage1 with catted downpipe (by ER), everything else stock. One area I have different opinion is throttle response. I definitely feel better throttle response even in Comfort mode. I feel more lower range torque and less the affect of the turbo lag (though it's still there of course).

The GTS transmission flash...the first day I honestly thought there's something wrong with it. I shifts up so fast, it leaves me in 5-6th gear at 40mph. It took time to get used to it.

OP, did you remove the DCT flash? You talk about it in the past.

Overall I'm very happy with it, the flash + DP realizes the potential of this car in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by norberts View Post
I have BM3 stage1 with catted downpipe (by ER), everything else stock. One area I have different opinion is throttle response. I definitely feel better throttle response even in Comfort mode. I feel more lower range torque and less the affect of the turbo lag (though it's still there of course).

The GTS transmission flash...the first day I honestly thought there's something wrong with it. I shifts up so fast, it leaves me in 5-6th gear at 40mph. It took time to get used to it.

Overall I'm very happy with it, the flash + DP realizes the potential of this car in my opinion.
I'm surprised you guys are using the DCT in auto mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

I do use it on occasions such as stop-and-go traffic, stretch of road that has light after light, and while I am on a call. It has its place
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for your input, norberts. Interesting about our different observations but that's why I started this thread.

I honestly didn't spend more than couple minutes in Comfort mode after the flash just like I almost never did before the flash. I will try that later. In Sport and Sport+ modes there wasn't a discernible difference in throttle response from the flash to me. I felt a small improvement from the sport cat that I have had for 4 months.

Also interesting you are in slightly lower gear than what I experienced with GTS flash in auto mode. I was hawkeye-ing it time after time in all 3 modes that it shifted to 6th at 32mph and 7th at 40mph, basically dwelling in the 1000 to 1500rpm range compared to the normal 1600 to 2000rpm range. It behaved exactly like my MK6 GTi in normal mode which drove me absolutely bonkers. I flashed it back to the regular DCT program couple days ago. Not sure I had discussed the GTS prior to this thread. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else? Or maybe I am just losing it... lol
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Having read my posts, people might think I'd be biased reviewing BM3. But I will be not. I've been all fair and honest to community, even that could mean to bash every vendor in the business which I did. So see this.

My history with BM3 dates back in late 2016 when I first picked up M2.

At the time, BM3 was in its very infancy and bench flash had been the only way. There was no local bench tuner I was confident working with, plus my ambition with M2 was never to make high hp, so I decided to just do FBO on the conservative Dinan Stage One.

Until a local friend became the BM3 dealer in early 2017. Then I was in.

License purchased, DME unlocked, 4M original file read and sent to PTF. Took one day to receive the STG2 map from Canada as I'm on the other side of Pacific Ocean. Map install was a 15 min thing though. BTW, I asked upfront to retain everything stock except for power.

As one of PTF's first few M2 customers globally, I was ready to be testing with them for who knows how long. And I like it.

OK, Car on the road.
The good:
1) Power bump was noticeable.
The bad:
1) M2's OEM burble was altered and hidden mode burble was gone.
2) RPM trembles at 3000~5000 on partial throttle.

Reverting burble back to stock took two revisions.
A Taiwan M2 guy shared the same RPM tremble issue with me. We went back and forth with Halim for like one month to have it eventually ironed out.

Then the OTS performance.
Stock
1/4 mile - 12.5~12.7@112mph
100-200kph (62-124 mph) - 10.7~11s

FBO Dinan Stage One
1/4 mile - 12.5@113~114mph
100-200kph (62-124 mph) - 9.7~10s

FBO BM3 OTS STG2
1/4 mile - 12.3~12.5@115mph
100-200kph (62-124 mph) - 9.5s

We've tested many other setups with multiple M2s. Know the car very well. Need a new thread for that

In Q3 of 2017, I installed Stage One Turbo and ordered custom tune. Halim dialed in my car in three revisions with his custom editor. I liked V3 very much and was on it for a couple months before put it on a dynojet. The result was a disappointing 380whp with a strong top end, though dyno was arguably conservatively reading as a M4 base did 390whp the same day. However great power under the curve it shows, 380whp in peak on bigger turbo was a joke. It had to break 400 regardless. BTW, real world performance of 380whp map wasn't bad at all. Actually very strong.

FBO STG1 Turbo on V3
380whp@6300rpm
1/4 mile - 12.1~12.2@116-117mph
100-200kph (62-124mph) - 8.7~8.9s

I also should mention switching map for oversea customer like me is a pain. I am probably the all time leader in failed flash attempt from BM3 user base. One of my local buddy is a close second though

Custom tuning continued. Halim backed out for other priorities and Dzenan took it over with BM3 editor. At the moment he struggled, working around top end boost restriction with M2 ROM. There were 4 or 5 revisions where I only found OTS power. Frustrating...Until Nov 2017, they made a breakthrough with BM3 editor, finding a lot of new tables. And eventually my car was properly tuned, the way I want - a progressive boost map that shines at middle and top end.

Of course we dynoed it again. Saw it ruthlessly put down 410+whp, eclipsing a M4 zcp (396hwp) the same day same dyno. Needless to say I'm very satisfied with the outcome. See more here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1454381

In early 2018, after a couple month testing, I formed a new vision how I want power delievered. So I asked Halim nicely to build a map with WinOL. And my map request was literally rpm by rpm specific. These days PTF guys have been super busy with port flash, which is understandable. I gave it a couple week wait. The result is a new map that is smoother, more responsive and even stronger, to my full satisfaction.

Performance:
FBO STG1 Turbo, custom tune
410+WHP@6200rpm
1/4 mile - 11.9x@119mph
100-200kph(62-124mph) - 8.4Xs

Let me rate BM3 as following.
Platform - 4/5. The idea of map delivered thru cloud server is kind of unreasonable. Outside of that, it's been good.
OTS map - 4.5/5. I reviewed tons of logs from almost every vendor in the business. BM3 is one of the best and it continues to evolve. I didn't give a 5/5 because some of the tuning strategies with OTS, I don't like.
Support - 4/5. People have been saying lightening fast replies, robot, never sleep etc. But personally, I know how it feels to wait and follow up.
BM3 editor - 3.5/5. True tuners keep saying they don't like it. But when you get used to it, it's not that bad.
Data Logging - 4.5/5. I very much like the way it presents data, much better than JB4. I use laptop, though they really need to improve agent device if they want to sell, it's just lame.
      03-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
Quote:

Thanks for your input, norberts. Interesting about our different observations but that's why I started this thread.

I honestly didn't spend more than couple minutes in Comfort mode after the flash just like I almost never did before the flash. I will try that later. In Sport and Sport+ modes there wasn't a discernible difference in throttle response from the flash to me. I felt a small improvement from the sport cat that I have had for 4 months.

Also interesting you are in slightly lower gear than what I experienced with GTS flash in auto mode. I was hawkeye-ing it time after time in all 3 modes that it shifted to 6th at 32mph and 7th at 40mph, basically dwelling in the 1000 to 1500rpm range compared to the normal 1600 to 2000rpm range. It behaved exactly like my MK6 GTi in normal mode which drove me absolutely bonkers. I flashed it back to the regular DCT program couple days ago. Not sure I had discussed the GTS prior to this thread. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else? Or maybe I am just losing it... lol
Hovering around 1000 RPM sounds like it would put you in a situation where you might lug the engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hovering around 1000 RPM sounds like it would put you in a situation where you might lug the engine?
It's at 1000rpm only when I maintain at the lower speed of each shift point, say, 32-33mph or 40-41mph for examples. IMO I believe anything lower than 1500rpm in this engine is lugging it. Even in my 6.2L Vette (manual) I never let it go below 1500 rpm in casual driving. It actually doesn't help mpg at all because the engine is operating below its optimal efficiency range. All in all there are plenty to hate and not one thing to like about the GTS DCT flash, IMHO.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

So I've had BM3 on and off since 2017. Here's my timeline:

First, had the DME removed and unlocked for another stage 2 tune that uses the Frieling USB/OBDII cable and iFlash Software.

Then got the DME removed and unlocked AGAIN for bootmod3, stage 2 and custom tune.

Then had the DME unlocked via OBD Unlock for another stage 2 tune that uses the Frieling USB/OBDII cable and iFlash Software (same tune as the first one).

Then FINALLY and currently, had the DME unlocked via OBD Unlock for bootmod3 currently stage 2/stock tune, eventually custom I think.

Power: It's incredible, car pulls way harder and smoother all the way through to redline. Can't deny the increase in power. This is with the OTS maps and the custom tune. Custom tune made 403 whp and 465 lb-ft tq on 91 octane with just bolt on mods.

See build here with custom tune:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1437086

Platform: I think it's cool and it reminds me of the Cobb Accessport that I had with a previous car. Works well, flashing from the cloud was interesting it never failed for me but now they've introduced offline flashing so should be solid with that. Any tuner can create a map for you if you have BM3 which is great, and there are many features that others don't offer. Datalogging is great!

Support: As SeanWRT said, I've had my fair share of waiting as well, all the crazy reviews that they never sleep and stuff I don't see it that way exactly. But they are busy. Once they help you, it's usually a favorable outcome! Platform is always improving which is good.

I have a manual transmission (6MT FTW) so I can't comment on the DCT flash. But when flashing between stock tune and stage 2 tune, you feel the power difference for sure. BUT you gotta give BMW credit as I think stock tune is amazing lol. It's really smooth and still fast as hell! I always enjoy driving the stock tune as well.

What I hate most? Burble. I just cannot stand it. The first time I got BM3, they claimed it was completely stock, however my burble was far from stock. Every time I let off the throttle or downshift, 5+ gunshot pops. Annoying. Never actually FULLY got that fixed. PTF custom tuned my car. As my custom tune was made in a different editor (by Halim) other than BM3, when they (Dzenan) transferred it to the BM3 editor some things got messed up like some torque tables and whatever. But then Dzenan did fix the burble to my liking, and I felt the map wasn't the same and kinda just ended it there and then eventually lost BM3 per the timeline above. And now today after OBD Unlock, their V4 maps burble is way too long/loud, it's 100% an aggressive burble map and they don't just have regular burble. I don't know how anyone likes this lol but actually driving with it is so childish and ricer to me. Supposedly they're going to be creating sliders where the user can make adjustments to burbles themselves, which would be cool. It'll definitely cause their support to get better as well as I'm sure lots of tickets are related to stupid burble.

I have the wifi agent to use, I think it's insanely easy to use (I've also changed a lot of the settings in it as well), not sure why the user earlier above had issues with it. It works flawlessly and easy to update (their instructions could be improved upon as at the time it seemed there were 2 ways of updating the agent) but I was able to do so. I prefer the iPhone app, so the agent is a must. Currently, the iPhone app hasn't been updated to support OBD unlock so I've been using a laptop which works well too but hopefully soon I can use my phone again.

Overall, I think it's a great platform. Their OTS maps are great (other than burble), you either just flash the map and forget about it or proceed with custom tuning that's optimal to your modifications and liking. Support can be improved, and for the most part I think using the platform is straightforward (compared to other tunes on market, BM3 easier for sure) but I can see how some confusion can be caused which is why I created an instruction:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1474469

I think I will continue with BM3, in the end it's just a platform it's not necessarily a tune. Their OTS tunes work great, but I'm a believer in custom tuning for your specific car, custom is not required at all fyi. Once you have a tune to your liking, you're pretty much done! Cool thing is you can datalog to monitor or if you want to check stuff/improve. There's also a built in code reader! So it's like having everything you want in one package.

Just need these burbles back to civil levels!
Appreciate 3
SeanWRT3179.00
FSociety3812.50
specka71.00
      03-26-2018, 05:26 AM   #12
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
So I've had BM3 on and off since 2017. Here's my timeline:

First, had the DME removed and unlocked for another stage 2 tune that uses the Frieling USB/OBDII cable and iFlash Software.

Then got the DME removed and unlocked AGAIN for bootmod3, stage 2 and custom tune.

Then had the DME unlocked via OBD Unlock for another stage 2 tune that uses the Frieling USB/OBDII cable and iFlash Software (same tune as the first one).

Then FINALLY and currently, had the DME unlocked via OBD Unlock for bootmod3 currently stage 2/stock tune, eventually custom I think.

Power: It's incredible, car pulls way harder and smoother all the way through to redline. Can't deny the increase in power. This is with the OTS maps and the custom tune. Custom tune made 403 whp and 465 lb-ft tq on 91 octane with just bolt on mods.

See build here with custom tune:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1437086

Platform: I think it's cool and it reminds me of the Cobb Accessport that I had with a previous car. Works well, flashing from the cloud was interesting it never failed for me but now they've introduced offline flashing so should be solid with that. Any tuner can create a map for you if you have BM3 which is great, and there are many features that others don't offer. Datalogging is great!

Support: As SeanWRT said, I've had my fair share of waiting as well, all the crazy reviews that they never sleep and stuff I don't see it that way exactly. But they are busy. Once they help you, it's usually a favorable outcome! Platform is always improving which is good.

I have a manual transmission (6MT FTW) so I can't comment on the DCT flash. But when flashing between stock tune and stage 2 tune, you feel the power difference for sure. BUT you gotta give BMW credit as I think stock tune is amazing lol. It's really smooth and still fast as hell! I always enjoy driving the stock tune as well.

What I hate most? Burble. I just cannot stand it. The first time I got BM3, they claimed it was completely stock, however my burble was far from stock. Every time I let off the throttle or downshift, 5+ gunshot pops. Annoying. Never actually FULLY got that fixed. PTF custom tuned my car. As my custom tune was made in a different editor (by Halim) other than BM3, when they (Dzenan) transferred it to the BM3 editor some things got messed up like some torque tables and whatever. But then Dzenan did fix the burble to my liking, and I felt the map wasn't the same and kinda just ended it there and then eventually lost BM3 per the timeline above. And now today after OBD Unlock, their V4 maps burble is way too long/loud, it's 100% an aggressive burble map and they don't just have regular burble. I don't know how anyone likes this lol but actually driving with it is so childish and ricer to me. Supposedly they're going to be creating sliders where the user can make adjustments to burbles themselves, which would be cool. It'll definitely cause their support to get better as well as I'm sure lots of tickets are related to stupid burble.

I have the wifi agent to use, I think it's insanely easy to use (I've also changed a lot of the settings in it as well), not sure why the user earlier above had issues with it. It works flawlessly and easy to update (their instructions could be improved upon as at the time it seemed there were 2 ways of updating the agent) but I was able to do so. I prefer the iPhone app, so the agent is a must. Currently, the iPhone app hasn't been updated to support OBD unlock so I've been using a laptop which works well too but hopefully soon I can use my phone again.

Overall, I think it's a great platform. Their OTS maps are great (other than burble), you either just flash the map and forget about it or proceed with custom tuning that's optimal to your modifications and liking. Support can be improved, and for the most part I think using the platform is straightforward (compared to other tunes on market, BM3 easier for sure) but I can see how some confusion can be caused which is why I created an instruction:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1474469

I think I will continue with BM3, in the end it's just a platform it's not necessarily a tune. Their OTS tunes work great, but I'm a believer in custom tuning for your specific car, custom is not required at all fyi. Once you have a tune to your liking, you're pretty much done! Cool thing is you can datalog to monitor or if you want to check stuff/improve. There's also a built in code reader! So it's like having everything you want in one package.

Just need these burbles back to civil levels!
Sounds great and good power for 91.

Can’t you chose how aggressive the burble is via the app? I’m yet to chose what tune to go for (bm3 or mhd) so not quite sure how the burble settings work.
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      03-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Great reviews, guys. I've been silently lurking and reading up on what mod path to take and know that BM3 is in my future, but I like to read-up as much as possible about things before jumping in and I have been disappointed by the lack of documentation and general knowledge available (that I can read in one place without having to follow numerous threads and FB posts) for me to drink in BM3.

You can go to a site like Hondata for tuning Acura/Honda and they have their own forum community with countless enthusiasts sharing best practices and help from one another on tuning. They also have a page with manuals that explain how everything works in detail. I can't seem to find that for BM3.

I'm also not a fan of excessive burbles; in fact would go so far as to say I could care less if the car didn't burble at all. All I care about is obtaining more power, so the frequent posts I see about "please add more burbles" scares me. I hope they add a feature to independently choose the burble level or even tune them out if the user wants.
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      03-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #14
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

For me I did the latest OBD Unlock process and OTS 91oct map. The car runs fantastic and the process was very easy! Similar to Cobb Accessport except you need a laptop. Process maybe take 5min total once you have all the proper software downloaded.

My only disappointment is the stock burbles are COMPLETELY gone. Traction mode also does nothing either. This is pretty disappointing for me.

Anyone know how to get them back?
Appreciate 2
S1monQc223.50
NO_USER_537.50
      03-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
Quote:
Manual DCT would not upgrade the fun of my bump ridden 10 minutes daily commute ...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #16
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Hey guys really appreciate the candid reviews and feedback. We're certainly listening and responding to your feedback by changing process, changing UI screens, making things simpler and easier while adding more features every day.

GTS TCU flash isn't a cup of tea on the M2 for most people for daily driving. Those looking to push power though like it as clutches end up holding better in the long run due to maximized line pressure and that's really the situation when it comes to the M2 that we recommend it. Otherwise, S55 is really the only one perfectly suited to the TCU flash. Custom TCU flashing is something we have on the table to look at once DME work load tapers off.

As for lack of instructions, duly noted. We always felt though that if we need an instruction guide for any feature that we may have complicated things out a little too far if you've been with us for some time you'd know that many of the screens have changed, especially activation wise, to make things more straightforward and remove chances of mistakes. With OBD unlock starting beginning of February a few things came up due to how screens/buttons came up that were causing confusion and we changed them eliminating that.

We're planning to write a user guide soon outlining all features available so far and maintaining that going forward. There are a handful of us here not an army of people so things do get harder but we're working on adding two more people in support to scale better so we can keep pushing on with features as currently the same people developing features in the app/web and OTS maps are the same supporting it. So far we've kept our heads above water but running on 4-5 hours of sleep at times can get hard, but we've managed it while hoping to keep everyone we work with answered to in as timely a manner as we possibly can, often times weekends included That obviously isn't sustainable given the sheer size of requests we get but we're trying our best

Installation wise, most people by far we work with don't frequent the forums. We wish they did as there's lots of info on here and on the facebook page and it'd reduce questions to support but that's life. Our tech support system has generated over 3000 tickets, there are over 3600 BM3 users, and you can see how at times we can get overloaded.

Huge thank you and to everyone giving BM3 a shot and sticking with us through revisions as we work to add new features and improve wherever improvements are required. I'd like to invite you to join the bootmod3 enthusiasts facebook group. Its really fun and lots of great discussion happens outside of exhaust burble

All the best!
Appreciate 6
      03-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      03-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #18
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Sounds great and good power for 91.

Can’t you chose how aggressive the burble is via the app? I’m yet to chose what tune to go for (bm3 or mhd) so not quite sure how the burble settings work.
Soon you will be able to change the burble settings, I think PTF is working on the "sliders" right now! Hopefully soon!! You should get BM3 or wait for that feature if you want to, to help your decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Great reviews, guys. I've been silently lurking and reading up on what mod path to take and know that BM3 is in my future, but I like to read-up as much as possible about things before jumping in and I have been disappointed by the lack of documentation and general knowledge available (that I can read in one place without having to follow numerous threads and FB posts) for me to drink in BM3.

You can go to a site like Hondata for tuning Acura/Honda and they have their own forum community with countless enthusiasts sharing best practices and help from one another on tuning. They also have a page with manuals that explain how everything works in detail. I can't seem to find that for BM3.

I'm also not a fan of excessive burbles; in fact would go so far as to say I could care less if the car didn't burble at all. All I care about is obtaining more power, so the frequent posts I see about "please add more burbles" scares me. I hope they add a feature to independently choose the burble level or even tune them out if the user wants.
Well I don't think the community of M2 owners tuning their cars is as big as say Honda or the Subaru platform (tons on info on the Cobb Accessport). But there's certainly a lot of great info for us M2 owners. Yeah, I think the burble user adjustment feature should be out soon, so that we don't have to actually mess with the tuning tables! I really need that, because burbles is just getting out of hand haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post
For me I did the latest OBD Unlock process and OTS 91oct map. The car runs fantastic and the process was very easy! Similar to Cobb Accessport except you need a laptop. Process maybe take 5min total once you have all the proper software downloaded.

My only disappointment is the stock burbles are COMPLETELY gone. Traction mode also does nothing either. This is pretty disappointing for me.

Interesting, we're at opposite ends. You have 0 burbles and I have too many burbles LOL.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
evoq00770.50
      03-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

Having to locate a laptop with Ethernet port nowadays is a pain (VF uses USB port).
i use this and leave the obd2 to ethernet cable plugged into it, then stash that bundle in my glove box.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HMU0...a-195027879195
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      03-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #20
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
Quote:

Having to locate a laptop with Ethernet port nowadays is a pain (VF uses USB port).
i use this and leave the obd2 to ethernet cable plugged into it, then stash that bundle in my glove box.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HMU0...a-195027879195
Interesting. Thanks, good to know! I actually tried an Ethernet/USB Type-C dongle that did not work and gave up on adapter after that
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #21
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post

I'm in the same boat on version 4 stage 1 91 octane maps. Disabled ASD in the diagnostics as directed as another method to try and still nothing. I'd like to have the stock burbles back at the minimum. And maybe a tad bit louder and more pronounced GTS startup roar!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #22
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
I'm in the same boat on version 4 stage 1 91 octane maps. Disabled ASD in the diagnostics as directed as another method to try and still nothing. I'd like to have the stock burbles back at the minimum. And maybe a tad bit louder and more pronounced GTS startup roar!
I want that exactly, maybe a touch more burbles than stock. And a LOUD GTS Start Up Roar (just that .5 second blip on initial start up right after pressing the start button). VF-Engineering has the GTS Start Up perfected, when I had their tune...man starting the car was always fun, so loud and instant. People turned their heads, even scared my mom lol. A true roar. I'm trying to get that recreated with a custom tune.
Appreciate 2
R0ME0519.50