BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Mishimoto S55 oil catch can install DIY - Highly recommended!

08-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Mishimoto S55 oil catch can install DIY - Highly recommended!

It's that time again.. really excited to share out my latest F8X DIY from Mishimoto Automotive!

I am a big believer in having an oil catch can in any modern direct injection motor, like my earlier N55 and now the S55 in the M2C. While the residue build it MAY not be as bad as it was in the earlier e9X models with the N54 motor, I also feel its just a matter of time.

A good quality catch can is an easy install, and I really see as a no brainer to have in your car. Why WOULDN'T you do so, especially with the really important other benefit this kit brings! The OEM crank case breather hose is (in)famously brittle, and I have broken two myself. The corrugated plastic gets fragile due to engine heat, and can take the slightest touch to shatter.

Not only does the Mishimoto kit give you a baffled well designed catch can, but replaces the OEM hose entirely. You get high temperature hoses that will never break like the OEM.

I recommend doing this install on every single S55 (and N55 too for that matter) as cheap insurance. Avoid future engine deposits, which will prevent future valve cleaning and replace the failing hose timebomb.

Check it out, and very seriously consider doing this for your car.

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 3
F87source7251.50
Pottah203.00
EGbeater116.50
      08-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
It's that time again.. really excited to share out my latest F8X DIY from Mishimoto Automotive!

I am a big believer in having an oil catch can in any modern direct injection motor, like my earlier N55 and now the S55 in the M2C. While the residue build it MAY not be as bad as it was in the earlier e9X models with the N54 motor, I also feel its just a matter of time.

A good quality catch can is an easy install, and I really see as a no brainer to have in your car. Why WOULDN'T you do so, especially with the really important other benefit this kit brings! The OEM crank case breather hose is (in)famously brittle, and I have broken two myself. The corrugated plastic gets fragile due to engine heat, and can take the slightest touch to shatter.

Not only does the Mishimoto kit give you a baffled well designed catch can, but replaces the OEM hose entirely. You get high temperature hoses that will never break like the OEM.

I recommend doing this install on every single S55 (and N55 too for that matter) as cheap insurance. Avoid future engine deposits, which will prevent future valve cleaning and replace the failing hose timebomb.

Check it out, and very seriously consider doing this for your car.

Always love your videos man, you're one of the only bmw youtubers that does things like the book says (torque specs and coolant bleeding with the vacuum bleeder) and I respect that alot.

I wish the oil catch can in that particular area would fit the n55 m2 but it doesn't, the oil lines are in the way and I personally couldn't get anything to fit there. Also I pulled my inlet pipe to install an inlet last year and there wasn't a single drop of oil in the pipe, so for me I don't think an oil catch can would be effective - and I know other m2 guys have reported the same. That's probably because the valve cover has a second route for pcv vapors to escape into the head. The only way to truly 100% stop blow by is to tap and plug the head ports and force all the crank case vapors out of the pcv hose (otherwise even with an occ you will still have vapors going directly into the intake valves), but you should also install an oil filler cap vent in that case to ensure too much pressure doesn't build up.
      08-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Great vid, thanks for sharing and taking the time to do that!!
Appreciate 1