BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Anyone else salty about the M2C

02-01-2019, 12:12 AM   #177
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

WhoTF leased an M2? No one because residuals were nuts bonkers stupid. So why are you looking at these made up numbers now? OG M2 was and still is a great value and has had normal depreciation as was expected.

The M2C is no different, just a higher entry price. It will depreciate the same.
Appreciate 3
D22M21373.50
      02-01-2019, 02:31 AM   #178
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
I honestly feel that an OG M2 with a stage 2 tune is the perfect balance of everything. The amazing sound and weight savings of the OG, with the power that it should have had from the factory.
This +100

If memory serves correctly even a stage 1 from Evolve tuning basically puts you in ballpark with an M2c.(Yes I know a tuned vs stock car isn't fair) but if you wanted that power, a simple tune will get you that.
There is video floating around of the Dyno graphs to see the differences.

As long as the tune is from a reputable tuner and the car is in good health,
no....it should not blow up lol.

Proud to be an original owner! The hype was worth it for this one!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:21 AM   #179
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
WhoTF leased an M2? No one because residuals were nuts bonkers stupid. So why are you looking at these made up numbers now? OG M2 was and still is a great value and has had normal depreciation as was expected.

The M2C is no different, just a higher entry price. It will depreciate the same.

Well I was kinda hoping it would defy gravity a little better. Still bought and didn't lease. Coming up on 3 years. A record for me. Might do the Dinan Big Turbo set up after the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #180
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
As long as the tune is from a reputable tuner and the car is in good health,
no....it should not blow up lol.
This is good to know as rumor has it hereabouts they tend to blow up.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #181
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

175 post later and NO one admitted that they're 'salty' about the M2C

What a shocker..

Next thread; "Who here believes that size doesn't matter?"

J/k

I'm salty and black-peppered but I can't afford to take the financial hit to trade up at the moment.. So I'll pretend like I'm not..
Appreciate 6
      02-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #182
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
175 post later and NO one admitted that they're 'salty' about the M2C

What a shocker..

Next thread; "Who here believes that size doesn't matter?"

J/k

I'm salty and black-peppered but I can't afford to take the financial hit to trade up at the moment.. So I'll pretend like I'm not..
I would only be salty if the M2C was the same price as the OG M2. I actually feel fortunate to get one of the last OG M2's because had I been in the market today I would have skipped the M2C for an M3/M4 as up here the rebates and discounts are bigger on those cars so all said and done the M2C isn't as good a value as the OG M2.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #183
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
the M2C isn't as good a value as the OG M2.
I respectfully disagree; the M2C is lot more vehicle for another 6k and that's not even considering inflation.

Not taking anything away from the M2, as it is a well-rounded package for the price but you can't deny that the crown jewel of any M car is its M power potential and that's where it was lacking.

The M2C fills that void in spades and still retains every aspect that was great with the original (minus the exhaust sound). What is there not to love beside the added cost..

I understand though; no one had a crystal ball to see into the future, so we couldn't of predicted that the S55 would eventually be shoehorned into the standard M2. So I'm not faulting anyone that opted for original, given the information we was privy to, at the time.

Absolutely no regrets, you wasn't born in an M2, you can upgrade anytime. So it's not the end of the world or any reason to be salty.
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
MDuckie93.00
      02-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #184
das_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M2

I have to admit, I was annoyed when it came out just after I picked up my 18' in June last year. Now I'm salty after seeing the SO M2C at SF BMW over on Howard St. while picking up my new M Performance spoiler. Anyways, today I'll be installing the oem wing mirrors and the spoiler. I still enjoy the car very much.
      02-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #185
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I respectfully disagree; the M2C is lot more vehicle for another 6k and that's not even considering inflation.

Not taking anything away from the M2, as it is a well-rounded package for the price but you can't deny that the crown jewel of any M car is its M power potential and that's where it was lacking.

The M2C fills that void in spades and still retains every aspect that was great with the original (minus the exhaust sound). What is there not to love beside the added cost..

I understand though; no one had a crystal ball to see into the future, so we couldn't of predicted that the S55 would eventually be shoehorned into the standard M2. So I'm not faulting anyone that opted for original, given the information we was privy to, at the time.

Absolutely no regrets, you wasn't born in an M2, you can upgrade anytime. So it's not the end of the world or any reason to be salty.
I'm not a BMW guy. I came from a Golf R and before that cars like STI, Mustang GT, EVO, etc. Seeing I'm not a BMW fanboy the S55 engine is not a holy grail thing to me as I use my car as a daily driver and as far as I can see the S55 is much more complex and will not be as reliable as the N55. The fact that the M2C is slightly quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile isn't really that significant to me considering on a daily drive I rarely use the full capability of the N55 as-is. If you track your car on a regular basis I can understand maybe you would value the S55 more but that's not me anymore. The modding factor really doesn't apply to me either as I didn't mod my Golf R and if I do mod this car it's not likely until the warranty runs out so the higher ceiling of the S55 again isn't really a big deal to me.

Like I said I would opt for an M3/M4 over an M2C because I'm at the stage of my life where I appreciate better interiors and adjustable dampers over what the M2C offers which is still the same cheaper 2-series interior, same non-adjustable dampers, and almost the same appearance as what I already have for a lot less money as regardless of MSRP I wasn't going to get the same deal on an M2C as I got on my LCI M2. I legit don't care about the M2C and as far as I'm concerned the only thing's it offers I wish was available on my car is the M-style mirrors and HS.
Appreciate 3
specka71.00
Jcon157316.50
      02-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #186
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

when they develop an s58 and then put it an m2 body I will feel.salty about that
but the saltymess will be pretty diluted by then
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #187
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
How about that ridiculous oil cooler?

I certainly don't love the placement.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #188
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post
Quote:
How about that ridiculous oil cooler?

I certainly don't love the placement.
Yes, totally agree.

However, it seems like a design compromise which allows for better cooling in exchange for vulnerability to damage.

It's placement is nothing new, as it's a staple of contemporary M engines, which that started with the F10 M5.

I wouldn't exactly dismiss the vehicle's potential just based on that but it certainly raise concern.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #189
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I was always told that M cars are M cars because of their handling capability, not power?

But I get that we seem to be another HP race...I mean the next M3 will potentially have a 500hp trim...with AWD.

I'm excited for that S58...the B58 already appears to have implemented the A2W cooler much better and doesn't look like an after thought where it currently sits in the s55.

All I can say is if any current owners regret their decision I feel bad for you. You made a costly mistake in your eyes.
Appreciate 1
D22M21373.50
      02-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #190
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, totally agree.

However, it seems like a design compromise which allows for better cooling in exchange for vulnerability to damage.

It's placement is nothing new, as it's a staple of contemporary M engines, which that started with the F10 M5.

I wouldn't exactly dismiss the vehicle's potential just based on that but it certainly raise concern.
I agree, it's just so frustrating they can't create a proper protective shield.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #191
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:

Very well put.

The competition was criticized for being heavier and less musical. But what's more true is BMW simply didn't try to reduce weight with OG in the first place. The competition just has a more powerful engine that weighs more and the chassis software tweaks accordingly, and carries everything else over, which is hardly anything to blame it for.

Some interesting fact - M3 (S55) is less than 100 lbs heavier than a 335i (N55), but M2C (S55) is close to 300lbs heavier than a M235i (N55). The numbers may be not accurate but you get the idea. What special treatment the F80/82 receives that F87 does not outside of the apparent carbon roof and carbon driveshaft (not anymore since 2018/10) is beyond me.

In my opinion, the entire M lineup for 2 series is to be blamed for the weight, the M2 OG just hide it a little bit with a less powerful and lighter engine is all.
      02-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #192
shredandburn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z06 M7, 2022 Ram TRX

I got my 18' M2 with MPE and all c/f details shipped to me in December from a dealer 500 miles away because I liked it that much better than the M2C that was available from the BMW dealer 2 blocks from my house. I come from Z-06 and Viper and mostly all American muscle except for my 07' 911 turbo. I was thinking new Z-06 then as I previously posted my 14 year old son says lets go check out the M2 (he loves the tuner cars sti, wrx, brz ) and I knew I loved the look of the M2 so off we go. I test drove the owners 17' performance edition and after 5- 10 minutes I knew I was getting one. They didn't have a new 18' with 6 speed so they were trying to get me in the M2C but I just didn't care enough about the differences. I knew I wanted white with all c/f goodies and MPE with three pedals. I love the 18' wheels and blue calipers so much more than the M2C win win for me.

I also knew the 18' M2 nor the M2C would be like the animals I've been used to driving but the refinement and balance I felt was like no other....

What we are observing here on these forums is purely human nature and the I'm not satisfied unless it's the latest and greatest or the truly misinformed who buy into a lot of hype. Not just this debate but the whole consumer world.

Enjoy what you have and what you like AND be grateful to even have the chance to have this or any other 60k plus vehicle for that matter.

God Bless and have a great day !
Appreciate 8
heavyD^23688.50
ShelJW359.50
MR_M2519.00
randyt224.50
trey1001125.00
Jcon157316.50
      02-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #193
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_m2 View Post
I have to admit, I was annoyed when it came out just after I picked up my 18' in June last year. Now I'm salty after seeing the SO M2C at SF BMW over on Howard St. while picking up my new M Performance spoiler. Anyways, today I'll be installing the oem wing mirrors and the spoiler. I still enjoy the car very much.
I'm glad you're still enjoying your car. Look on the bright side, with the introduction of the M2C, we finally have a way to get the cool M mirrors and they're a direct bolt on

I know it's silly to some but it's nice that they're available. I look forward to seeing some pics of your completed project in the cosmetic section.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #194
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_m2 View Post
I'm glad you're still enjoying your car. Look on the bright side, with the introduction of the M2C, we finally have a way to get the cool M mirrors and they're a direct bolt on

I know it's silly to some but it's nice that they're available. I look forward to seeing some pics of your completed project in the cosmetic section.
Actually the S55 M3 is the same if not a few #'s lower than a 335. There clearly was an effort to decrease the weight of the M3 or at least offset any required weight gain due to the S55 and other components.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:31 AM   #195
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Actually the S55 M3 is the same if not a few #'s lower than a 335. There clearly was an effort to decrease the weight of the M3 or at least offset any required weight gain due to the S55 and other components.

I think you got us mixed up with someone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #196
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post

I think you got us mixed up with someone else.
Yep - meant to respond to seanWRT a few posts up.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #197
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Very well put.

The competition was criticized for being heavier and less musical. But what's more true is BMW simply didn't try to reduce weight with OG in the first place. The competition just has a more powerful engine that weighs more and the chassis software tweaks accordingly, and carries everything else over, which is hardly anything to blame it for.

Some interesting fact - M3 (S55) is less than 100 lbs heavier than a 335i (N55), but M2C (S55) is close to 300lbs heavier than a M235i (N55). The numbers may be not accurate but you get the idea. What special treatment the F80/82 receives that F87 does not outside of the apparent carbon roof and carbon driveshaft (not anymore since 2018/10) is beyond me.

In my opinion, the entire M lineup for 2 series is to be blamed for the weight, the M2 OG just hide it a little bit with a less powerful and lighter engine is all.
S55 itself weighs only 2kg/4.4lbs more than the N55. Most of the extra weight comes from other areas. Bigger brakes and the dual pipe exhaust system alone add close to 70lbs together. 788M wheels add another 10+ lbs. And then there is the extra weight that comes from the additional cooling, M sport seats etc that account for the remaning ~30lbs extra weight (The weight difference between US spec M2 and M2C is ~110lbs, source). In other words, for example, people in Europe can configure their M2C with blue brakes, 437M wheels, OG M2 seats and save significant amount of weight.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #198
das_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:

Alright, finished project -

Altra265.50