BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

10-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #2685
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Not so good attempt at Misano Blue...

Name:  DSC_8242.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  884.1 KB
Appreciate 2
GimmeanM1448.50
Artemis29833.00
      10-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #2686
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
Awesome! I'll take it! ...thanks for doing this. I posted back when we found out about the colors on offer asking why no one gave us a render of Misano? When the M2C was thought to be the M2CS/M2CSL/M2GTS we got all kinds of renders! Now I have a wallpaper to look at!
      10-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #2687
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
You are a modest person.
      10-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #2688
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:

Attachment 2155767
That looks really good, but in my opinion closer to Jaguars ultra blue. You sir, created something that I would buy. ID have to give up the gold wheels though.

Still going with HS, gold wheels. Loving the idea of course chessboard CF roof. Kinda would like option to not have red calipers, but I would argue that I'm not one that blends in with the pack so it should be fine
Appreciate 1
Supadice1029.00
      10-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #2689
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Gold 763M wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Still going with HS, gold wheels.
Beware: IRL the gold-colored 763M wheels are a mix of silver and gold. No full gold color as seen on vintage BBS, Lotus, Renault Clio Williams, Subaru Impreza, etc.

IMHO 763M is one of the greatest BMW wheel designs of recent times, but personally not digging the gold finish. In my book, 'Jet Black' finish is better and 'Orbit Grey' finish the best.

Gold 763M:

AW + Gold 763M:

BSM + Gold 763M:

LBB + Gold 763M:

ChrisK renders:

10-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #2690
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The silver-gold is the draw for me. It's a little toned down compared to BBS gold wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:33 PM   #2691
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

I love the 763M wheels, but would it kill BMW to offer them in a classic silver finish?
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #2692
Phil-on-Cars
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 335i 6MT, 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
I love the 763M wheels, but would it kill BMW to offer them in a classic silver finish?
I just love the classic silver!!! Can someone let BMW know that classic silver 763 or classic silver wheel still have a large market??
Appreciate 1
Jarran10.50
      10-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #2693
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Here's another Misano Blue attempt. I was worried about the gold wheels but I sort of like them. For me, I would get the wheels in black.

Name:  IMG_0864m.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  943.9 KB

Last edited by cb804; 10-09-2019 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 3
QM287.00
devo755.00
      10-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #2694
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's another Misano Blue attempt. I was worried about the gold wheels but I sort of like them. For me, I would get the wheels in black.
I don't think the blue and gold looks bad. I would get tired of all the Subaru commentary. The other issue is the red calipers on the CS unless you go with CCB.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #2695
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Blue + gold isn't bad only when the blue and gold are deep.

Misano + 763 kind gold are sheer clown.
      10-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #2696
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
I don't think the blue and gold looks bad. I would get tired of all the Subaru commentary. The other issue is the red calipers on the CS unless you go with CCB.
Are you going with the CCBs? Supposedly $8k option and $16k replacement cost. Then some say they decrease value of used cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #2697
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Are you going with the CCBs? Supposedly $8k option and $16k replacement cost. Then some say they decrease value of used cars.
Quote:
If someone tells you ceramic brakes reduce the value of your car, it's time to politely excuse yourself and move on to something meaningful. I've had PCCBs (ceramics) on my last two GT3s and Turbo S. I would *never* return to steels.
I'm a fairly frugal individual and the thought of replacing CCB rotors makes me sick. Odd, I know, to speak of frugality when discussing a CS purchase. I'd likely spend the money on an Essex racing kit. Save almost as much weight, lower cost consumables, and similar cost. I don't think CCB diminish vehicle cost, but I due believe it narrows your audience for resale. This is based upon me shopping 991s and excluding vehicles with CCB.

I don't think I would track with CCB and will likely only do 1-2 sessions a year. The big appeal for me is the lack of brake dust. However, I can pay for someone to clean my wheels quite a few times for 8k.

In my mind I liken a CCB purchase to a timeshare purchase. It's not the up front cost that's an issue, it's the long term cost that doesn't really get discussed at the time of purchase.

kepler What is it about CCB that has you sold? I'm always open to others user experience and feedback. Do you mainly street drive, track. How often are you tracking the cars if you do? How many miles do you usually drive your cars before selling?

Edit: Interesting service https://www.rebrake.de/preise/

Not inexpensive by any means, but could be better than replacement discs if legit.

Interesting comment about supplying CCB for one axle of a new version of a well know German model. https://thebrakereport.com/surface-t...-ceramic-tech/

Last edited by medphysdave; 10-09-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #2698
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep

Quote:
I'm a fairly frugal individual and the thought of replacing CCB rotors makes me sick. Odd, I know, to speak of frugality when discussing a CS purchase. I'd likely spend the money on an Essex racing kit. Save almost as much weight, lower cost consumables, and similar cost. I don't think CCB diminish vehicle cost, but I due believe it narrows your audience for resale. This is based upon me shopping 991s and excluding vehicles with CCB.

I don't think I would track with CCB and will likely only do 1-2 sessions a year. The big appeal for me is the lack of brake dust. However, I can pay for someone to clean my wheels quite a few times for 8k.

In my mind I liken a CCB purchase to a timeshare purchase. It's not the up front cost that's an issue, it's the long term cost that doesn't really get discussed at the time of purchase.

kepler What is it about CCB that has you sold? I'm always open to others user experience and feedback. Do you mainly street drive, track. How often are you tracking the cars if you do? How many miles do you usually drive your cars before selling?

Edit: Interesting service https://www.rebrake.de/preise/

Not inexpensive by any means, but could be better than replacement discs if legit.

Interesting comment about supplying CCB for one axle of a new version of a well know German model. https://thebrakereport.com/surface-t...-ceramic-tech/
My last post should've left out the second sentence. I love PCCBs but I have no experience with the CCBs offered by BMW. I do find it nuts, though, that someone would think that having CCBs reduces the value of your car. I'd love to see those data. It sounds like something someone who doesn't have CCBs says to make himself feel better - sour grapes come in many flavors. At least in the Porsche world, there are many who treat the absence of PCCBs as a deal-breaker.

If you're a track rat and have to replace brakes regularly, steels are the way to go. Although there are after-market ceramics (at least for Porsche) that are far less costly than those from the factory. The braking power of the PCCBs is impressive; they are really sharp, so much so that it initially takes some adjustment on the driver's part. And, if you're a road driver, as I am, they last forever. Then there is the reduction of unsprung weight - the best kind of weight to reduce. Many enthusiasts get hung up on HP, when the power-to-weight ratio is where the focus should be. The absence of brake dust is a bonus, as is the appearance as the huge speed-yellow PCCBs just look fantastic. But again, this is all from a Porsche perspective.
Appreciate 4
Poochie9107.50
MDuckie96.00
Tornado1M1222.50
devo755.00
      10-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #2699
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
I do find it nuts, though, that someone would think that having CCBs reduces the value of your car. I'd love to see those data. It sounds like something someone who doesn't have CCBs says to make himself feel better - sour grapes come in many flavors.
Welcome to an anonymous, online forum; where most of the arguments are based on sheer emotion rather than actual reasoning

I get the same asinine pushback when I mention that electronic Adaptive Suspension is superior than static dampers. You know because BMW just loves to waste resources on unsubstantiated technology, rather than save a buck, if they can.
Appreciate 2
MDuckie96.00
devo755.00
      10-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #2700
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Quote:
Reminds me of when my father baught is used SL55 AMG and was jumping trough the roof when he learned that another owner had to replace a shock at 100k km and it cost 10k cad. I was like duuh its a 180k cad msrp car, what did you expect..

If you option 8-10k cutting edge brakes on your car, don't expect the replacement parts to be worth no more than standard. Just don't option them if you don't think you can cope with the maintenance.

I think there is a trend thats been going on for a while, you see more and more ppl leasing/buying things (cars) that they could not really afford to keep going in the long term.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #2701
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It's interesting. I was 100% going to avoid checking the CCB option but the recent post got me doing a bit of research. I'm reconsidering my stance. In my research I read that Porsche folks do seem to get some resale value out of PCCB, but BMW folks do not. BMW now has the option to use steel rotors if CCB is too costly to replace. Essentially leaving you with a 2nh option and gold calipers.

The rebrake tech is interesting and sound logic is being used. At a cost of 5k to return rejuvenate your rotors this makes things more palatable. Especially since I drive about 7500mi/yr. CCB would likely last me a while.

Edit: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=Ccb

I found this thread very helpful. I believe anyone that gets CCB should keep track of rotor initial weights. I'd go as far as to get my dealership to weigh them before taking ownership of vehicle. Even limited track days could significantly reduce life expectancy. Getting a set of steel rotors and pads for any track use could be a wise purchase.

Last edited by medphysdave; 10-10-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:11 AM   #2702
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
My last post should've left out the second sentence. I love PCCBs but I have no experience with the CCBs offered by BMW. I do find it nuts, though, that someone would think that having CCBs reduces the value of your car. I'd love to see those data. It sounds like something someone who doesn't have CCBs says to make himself feel better - sour grapes come in many flavors. At least in the Porsche world, there are many who treat the absence of PCCBs as a deal-breaker.

If you're a track rat and have to replace brakes regularly, steels are the way to go. Although there are after-market ceramics (at least for Porsche) that are far less costly than those from the factory. The braking power of the PCCBs is impressive; they are really sharp, so much so that it initially takes some adjustment on the driver's part. And, if you're a road driver, as I am, they last forever. Then there is the reduction of unsprung weight - the best kind of weight to reduce. Many enthusiasts get hung up on HP, when the power-to-weight ratio is where the focus should be. The absence of brake dust is a bonus, as is the appearance as the huge speed-yellow PCCBs just look fantastic. But again, this is all from a Porsche perspective.
I concur.

Unsprung weight loss is the best. I have read data indicating unsprung weight equates to saving 3, even 4, times the same static weight. The lack of brake dust alone is worth the price of admission to many and most certainly me. And, yes the monster yellow calipers and equally monster rotors are impressive. Matched with yellow seat belts; sex. As you said, the lack of PCCBs on a GT car, moreso the RS is a deal breaker for many. I have been fortunate to own a few 911s and three GT3s. This is my first GT3 with ceramics and will never go back to iron brakes. Agreed, if you track regularly irons are likely the better choice. Disabling TC and other nannies and PCCBs are fine for repeated track use as computer braking intervention is what shortens any rotor's life expectancy. I would estimate a 20% ROI on PCCBs in the Porsche world. I will certainly consider CCBs on the CS if the total price of admission is what I consider to be reasonable. Reasonable to me is <$85k; which is unlikely imo.

Last edited by devo; 10-11-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #2703
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I will say that a 2 series with factory CCB will likely be very rare. The CCB calipers are the same as the red calipers that will come on CS. They use the same size disc as well. Weight savings comes from the disc alone. If/when a full floating 2 piece rotor becomes available there will be a middle ground for weight savings. I'm not advocating which option is best. No wheel dust would be nice.

Even limited track days can reduce CCB life. I'm guessing that spirited canyon or mountain road carving would not generate the same disc heat due to lower entry speeds and likely shorter braking periods.

The downsides of CCB like lack of initial bite when wet/cold, squealing, etc seem to be easily mitigated with a little knowledge about the product.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #2704
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I will say that a 2 series with factory CCB will likely be very rare. The CCB calipers are the same as the red calipers that will come on CS. They use the same size disc as well. Weight savings comes from the disc alone. If/when a full floating 2 piece rotor becomes available there will be a middle ground for weight savings. I'm not advocating which option is best. No wheel dust would be nice.

Even limited track days can reduce CCB life. I'm guessing that spirited canyon or mountain road carving would not generate the same disc heat due to lower entry speeds and likely shorter braking periods.

The downsides of CCB like lack of initial bite when wet/cold, squealing, etc seem to be easily mitigated with a little knowledge about the product.
I want the gold wheels, so I think I'm "stuck" with the red calipers.

I think the gold on gold looks a little weird. So I'm basing my decision on solely the colour of the calipers. I want the CCBs, but I've never tried them so I don't know what I'm missing which will help in my case. I'm also getting Manual.

The things we say to justify these things to ourselves!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #2705
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Would we expect the adaptive suspension to have a separate tune for CCB equipped cars? I would expect yes with the significant decrease in weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #2706
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
I want the gold wheels, so I think I'm "stuck" with the red calipers.

I think the gold on gold looks a little weird. So I'm basing my decision on solely the colour of the calipers.
For the love of all that's good, whichever brakes you choose, do *not* choose them on the basis of color. Select the brakes that make best sense for your driving interests (or your pocket). You can always have the calipers painted to relieve any visual distress you may experience.
Appreciate 2
Artemis29833.00
Tornado1M1222.50