BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > End of an Era - The Final Few EDs Comprehensive Compilation

06-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #199
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Travel restrictions on main post (first page) updated.

tl;dr: Travel ban to Germany (from US) extended to JUN-30.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #200
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall834 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzaz View Post
Thanks! I've never been and want to burn up 1200 miles so I can go to the ring.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
Two of those dates are Sundays...Welt is closed for delivery on Sunday, but guessing the issue is with your preferred date because they try to get that for your first.
Ah, makes sense... didn't even think of that. Although you'd think my CA would catch that? Anyway, he did reach back out Saturday so hoping we hear back from Raven today.

Also wasn't aware of the insurance stuff...good to know. I'll be looking through that packet when I get it! Thanks for all the tips!
Quote:

Thanks for the updates. I think Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Romania, Czech Republic are all good. While we're on insurance, remember that BMW changed carriers in 2017 or 2018 and the Ring is no longer covered. So you either buy track insurance or you take the risk!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #201
FreudeamFahren18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80, 2022 G80m

Hello everyone. This will be my second ED. I did one in 2017. F80 YMB. I drove over 1500 miles and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
This time we plan to travel to Northern Italy( Ferrari and Lamborghini) and also possibly Paris.
Within Germany, Other than Munich of course we plan to travel to Berlin, Wolfsburg(Autostadt), and Stuttgart (Porsche and Mercedes museums).
The trip is scheduled for 11 days.
This is hoping Covid-19 will not spoil my trip.

Build:
My 2021
HS/Blue Stitch
Exec
Black wheels
6MT
Delivery Date Aug 29
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #202
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreudeamFahren18 View Post
My 2021
HS/Blue Stitch
Exec
Black wheels
6MT
Delivery Date Aug 29
Added above! #12, all 6MT!!!
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #203
FreudeamFahren18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzaz View Post
Got my date today. 9/25. Hoping for afternoon- my flight arrives MUC at 9:40 am.
Thats very tight. Flight delay will mess you up. Better off arriving at least 1 day before delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #204
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thats very tight. Flight delay will mess you up. Better off arriving at least 1 day before delivery.
My flight arrives at 1:30 pm and they have me at 3:30 pm that day. Though they are trying to get me the following day!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #205
Buchloe_Burkard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Q7, 2020 M2C

Heard from Raven, was told that in case german entry restrictions for US citizens persists into late July, they will be able to postpone my ED to Aug or Sep. Unclear whether that means they will hold the 2020 car that is currently in Status 150 or will issue a 2021 VIN.

As of now, US is not on the July 1 list of non-EU countries whose citizens will be allowed into EU. Only the western Balkans countries (Serbia etc) are being discussed at the moment, some of which have < 25 active cases per 100k citizens (though it is unclear whether this is the main criteria). Hopefully situation in US will improve very soon.

Croatia is definitely OK for ED trip as far as insurance goes. In fact, all EU member states (continental Europe) are fine + Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We were supposed to swing down to Istria during ED, but decided to cancel and focus on countries that flattened earlier in the pandemic.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #206
ECAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Quote:
Hello everyone. This will be my second ED. I did one in 2017. F80 YMB. I drove over 1500 miles and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
This time we plan to travel to Northern Italy( Ferrari and Lamborghini) and also possibly Paris.
Within Germany, Other than Munich of course we plan to travel to Berlin, Wolfsburg(Autostadt), and Stuttgart (Porsche and Mercedes museums).

Build:
My 2021
HS/Blue Stitch
Exec
Black wheels
6MT
Delivery Date Aug 29
Saw your other thread. My understanding is that the August warning is for Germans and has nothing to do with us. The current info in this thread for though June 30 should be valid. I'm booked for Aug 11th and in the same boat as you. I think we'll be ok but just need to be patient. Congrats on the car!
      06-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #207
FreudeamFahren18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECAM3 View Post
Quote:

Build:
My 2021
HS/Blue Stitch
Exec
Black wheels
6MT
Delivery Date Aug 29
Saw your other thread. My understanding is that the August warning is for Germans and has nothing to do with us. The current info in this thread for though June 30 should be valid. I'm booked for Aug 11th and in the same boat as you. I think we'll be ok but just need to be patient. Congrats on the car!
Congratulations. You are 2 weeks ahead of me. Fingers crossed everything works out.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #208
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchloe_Burkard View Post
Heard from Raven, was told that in case german entry restrictions for US citizens persists into late July, they will be able to postpone my ED to Aug or Sep. Unclear whether that means they will hold the 2020 car that is currently in Status 150 or will issue a 2021 VIN.

As of now, US is not on the July 1 list of non-EU countries whose citizens will be allowed into EU. Only the western Balkans countries (Serbia etc) are being discussed at the moment, some of which have < 25 active cases per 100k citizens (though it is unclear whether this is the main criteria). Hopefully situation in US will improve very soon.

Croatia is definitely OK for ED trip as far as insurance goes. In fact, all EU member states (continental Europe) are fine + Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We were supposed to swing down to Istria during ED, but decided to cancel and focus on countries that flattened earlier in the pandemic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECAM3 View Post
Yes, the current warning is for Germans traveling outside the EU zone...basically, if you leave, you may not make it home. Right now, the US scenario is a little unnerving. However, I'd imagine the Europeans want Americans to get back in asap as we generally spend a decent amount. I originally thought they would open for us by mid-June. Now, I'm thinking early July is not likely. Mid-July is still a good, solid maybe. August I think is quite likely and September is quite good.

Having said that, my bigger concern is that they are testing on departure/arrival and by some fluke instance I get corona right before my trip (and after I've purchased the car). I may have to go into a cocoon for 2 weeks before.
Appreciate 1
ECAM324.00
      06-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #209
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
Raven emailed me with my delivery date of September 7th, Monday (which happens to be Labor Day). Same as others, we will have to see if we can make into Germany. Now to book some tickets and do some planning. Unfortunately, my wife is not comfortable going so most likely my oldest daughter and me on the trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:14 PM   #210
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Thanks for pulling this together.

I locked in an allocation in January for a May 2020 M2C build with a May 26th ED (originally).

Due to covid delays, I moved to June 23rd delivery with the car in production last week (June 8th).

Now Raven has me at July 23rd pending German tourist visas.

My order is Hockenheim, Black (w/ blue stitching), 6MT, exec package and black wheels.

The new site should be helpful - https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/DEU.

Fingers crossed for all of us.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #211
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post

I locked in an allocation in January for a May 2020 M2C build with a May 26th ED (originally).

Due to covid delays, I moved to June 23rd delivery with the car in production last week (June 8th).

My order is Hockenheim, Black (w/ blue stitching), 6MT, exec package and black wheels.

auggiem3 Can't say I'm surprised to see you going in on this too! Welcome and congrats! You've been added to the top...number 13! Thanks for the link. Apparently, Americans are allowed into Portugal. Two week quarantine in Portugal...I guess I could!
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      06-16-2020, 05:14 AM   #212
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Added above! #12, all 6MT!!!
Amazing how you guys all get 6MT's. Here in Europe I'd say that easily >90% are DCT.
Appreciate 2
Fugly M35254.00
MinionM3493.50
      06-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #213
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

auggiem3 Can't say I'm surprised to see you going in on this too! Welcome and congrats! You've been added to the top...number 13! Thanks for the link. Apparently, Americans are allowed into Portugal. Two week quarantine in Portugal...I guess I could!
How's the collar bone? Did you ever post the ice driving thread?
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35254.00
      06-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #214
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't yet! I was so focused on getting all my insurance claims sorted that I sort of forgot about it for a while. Then I kind of thought it was stale because it's not winter anymore. I'll try and get that up at some point here in the next month or so. Collarbone is getting better, not 100%, but slowly recovering. I can do almost everything I want, but lingering issues. They have me using an ultrasonic "zapper" as I call it to speed the healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
Amazing how you guys all get 6MT's. Here in Europe I'd say that easily >90% are DCT.
13 now! 100% in this thread. I think this mainly has to do with the end of ED and the kind of customer that attracts. The M2 is also a car where you're not really buying it for practicality...especially if you have a family.

I also think COVID has something to do with it. Personally, I wouldn't be able to have a stick (single quiver, daily driver this will be) if I knew my traffic were going to ratchet right back up to where it was. I am almost 100% certain that is not the case, as I'll likely not be in the office 5 days for a while. My company already said we're not going back until January. When we do, it will be on some sort of rotation. Then, as everyone else is doing the from home thing and the economy is still not great, it will take some time to get as bad as it was. After the financial crisis, it took about 5-7 years for LA traffic to get back to where it was pre-crisis. If it takes even half as long this time, I'll likely be on to my next vehicle before I have to deal with the ire of a stick in LA traffic.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 06-16-2020 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
MinionM3493.50
auggiem3295.00
      06-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #215
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helles View Post
Unfortunately, You have to be a member for 6 months when you take delivery in order to qualify for the rebate. I had missed the deadline this round
Unless this changed in last ~8 months or so, this isn't true. I joined 2 weeks before my ED pickup date, and was able to provide a copy of the delivery paperwork from Germany, after getting back to the States as the extra supporting documentation they needed - received my $500 rebate about 2.5 months after application.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #216
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Unless this changed in last ~8 months or so, this isn't true. I joined 2 weeks before my ED pickup date, and was able to provide a copy of the delivery paperwork from Germany, after getting back to the States as the extra supporting documentation they needed - received my $500 rebate about 2.5 months after application.
I think it changed 01/01/2020.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #217
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
I think it changed 01/01/2020.
^This!!
      06-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #218
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't yet! I was so focused on getting all my insurance claims sorted that I sort of forgot about it for a while. Then I kind of thought it was stale because it's not winter anymore. I'll try and get that up at some point here in the next month or so. Collarbone is getting better, not 100%, but slowly recovering. I can do almost everything I want, but lingering issues. They have me using an ultrasonic "zapper" as I call it to speed the healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
13 now! 100% in this thread. I think this mainly has to do with the end of ED and the kind of customer that attracts. The M2 is also a car where you're not really buying it for practicality...especially if you have a family.

I also think COVID has something to do with it. Personally, I wouldn't be able to have a stick (single quiver, daily driver this will be) if I knew my traffic were going to ratchet right back up to where it was. I am almost 100% certain that is not the case, as I'll likely not be in the office 5 days for a while. My company already said we're not going back until January. When we do, it will be on some sort of rotation. Then, as everyone else is doing the from home thing and the economy is still not great, it will take some time to get as bad as it was. After the financial crisis, it took about 5-7 years for LA traffic to get back to where it was pre-crisis. If it takes even half as long this time, I'll likely be on to my next vehicle before I have to deal with the ire of a stick in LA traffic.
What part of LA you in? I'm in the South Bay and the same thing crossed my mind about traffic! My e92 M3 is a DCT but I just got done Turing it into my track toy and bought a different daily - the M2C will become my daily - hoping the same for traffic around LA with the 6-Spd...

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35254.00
      06-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #219
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionM3 View Post
What part of LA you in? I'm in the South Bay and the same thing crossed my mind about traffic! My e92 M3 is a DCT but I just got done Turing it into my track toy and bought a different daily - the M2C will become my daily - hoping the same for traffic around LA with the 6-Spd...
South Bay as well...PV. Normal commute is to Downtown LA!
Appreciate 1
MinionM3493.50
      06-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #220
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

When do we start planning the work around?

Hypothetical - Spain takes tourist visas so you fly into Spain, clear customs and take a train to Munich.

Or, can we say it's a commerce trip since we are buying a car and taking delivery in Germany (rather than a tourist visa)?
Appreciate 0