BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Bleeding/flushing brake fluid

12-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
Ratkiller
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Bleeding/flushing brake fluid

I flushed the brake fluid twice now (Motul RBF 660) and I'm still experiencing a random mushy pedal under heavy braking when at the track. I'm thinking there may still be an air bubble somewhere in the system, possible the ABS. I recall some cars needing they ABS activated/opened to properly flush the system. Is this the case with the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 01:30 PM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

If its random or variable, I think that's the EBA, emergency brake assist.

When you brake hard like at the track, or even in the street sometimes, the ABS system thinks you're going to crash and brakes harder for you this makes the pedal drop and feel mushy.

M2c isn't a track car it's a road car so it has safety systems calibrated for the road which can be a pain sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Yes, you need to run an ABS cycle when you flush brake fluid to fully clear and bleed the system; there are handheld code readers that can do it, or ISTA. But then lots of people will tell you they don't ever do this and it works out 'just fine'.

Intermittent wierdness may also be related to brief fluctuations into higher heat range - either minor fluid boil, or pads getting into overheat stage. Can also be the brake assist noted above (but for me the brake assist feels like a harder pedal and more grab, not mushy).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I read on here cant recall where that you need to do a traditional brake bleed without a pressure container that attaches to the master cylinder.

Once you do that the pedal feels better. This is how I bleed all my cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #5
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkiller View Post
I flushed the brake fluid twice now (Motul RBF 660) and I'm still experiencing a random mushy pedal under heavy braking when at the track. I'm thinking there may still be an air bubble somewhere in the system, possible the ABS. I recall some cars needing they ABS activated/opened to properly flush the system. Is this the case with the M2C?

maybe it really is the fluid but you are sure its not this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1885341
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #6
Ratkiller
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
maybe it really is the fluid but you are sure its not this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1885341

This is worth looking into. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 08:09 PM   #7
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have noticed this brake behavior on both of my M2 cars a 17 and my current 21.
      12-06-2023, 01:32 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Yes, you need to run an ABS cycle when you flush brake fluid to fully clear and bleed the system; there are handheld code readers that can do it, or ISTA. But then lots of people will tell you they don't ever do this and it works out 'just fine'.

Intermittent wierdness may also be related to brief fluctuations into higher heat range - either minor fluid boil, or pads getting into overheat stage. Can also be the brake assist noted above (but for me the brake assist feels like a harder pedal and more grab, not mushy).
There's several "safety" brake functions at play, some of which we notice when driving hard or on track:

The pre-emptive brake assist is the one that primes the brakes when you come off the gas very quickly as it assumes an emergency event is happening, this give the tall firm pedal and agressive braking.

The EBA during braking is different, that senses hard braking but then it takes over to put the braking into the ABS zone for you, this results in a unnverving pedal drop sensation in certain situations.

3rd is the brake force distribution to try and keep the car straight under heavy braking, this is linked to the stability program too. You may notice or have to fight a weaving motion under heavy braking, but if you turn off DSC it goes away completely and behaves exactly like a "normal" car.

I've coded out the first two with esys, but the 3rd is beyond me. On a hot dry summer day drive I just turn of DSC and enjoy a more natural feeling car.

I reached out to David daap1193 but didn't get the time to sort it remotely, next year maybe...

Last edited by doughboy; 12-06-2023 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 06:59 AM   #9
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkiller View Post
This is worth looking into. Thanks!
yeah I have to get mine programed because braking is very inconsistant and that is why I mentioned it, it is very similar to what you are feeling. Sometimes the pedal is nice and firm, sometimes the brake point is a bit lower and gives me the feeling of being mushy. Its really fucking annoying. I thought something was wrong till I remembered that thread. Only problems is on track, never experienced it on the street and I had not really noticed it when I was a novice at track but now that I am going deeper in the brakes I can notice it and its super annoying (and in a way feels dangerous)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:01 AM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
There's several "safety" brake functions at play, some of which we notice when driving hard or on track:

The pre-emptive brake assist is the one that primes the brakes when you come off the gas very quickly as it assumes an emergency event is happening, this give the tall firm pedal and agressive braking.

The EBA during braking is different, that senses hard braking but then it takes over to put the braking into the ABS zone for you, this results in a unnverving pedal drop sensation in certain situations.

3rd is the brake force distribution to try and keep the car straight under heavy braking, this is linked to the stability program too. You may notice or have to fight a weaving motion under heavy braking, but if you turn off DSC it goes away completely and behaves exactly like a "normal" car.

I've coded out the first two with esys, but the 3rd is beyond me. On a hot dry summer day drive I just turn of DSC and enjoy a more natural feeling car.

I reached out to David daap1193 but didn't get the time to sort it remotely, next year maybe...
really interesting on the 3rd point, totally feel the weaving motion under heavy braking, it also drives me crazy
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
Ratkiller
Rep

"The EBA during braking is different, that senses hard braking but then it takes over to put the braking into the ABS zone for you, this results in a unnerving pedal drop sensation in certain situations."

This is it. This is what I'm experiencing. I've got to get this coded out asap.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21819.00