E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > That's it... I want a temp gauge!

08-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
cassey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

There were MT cars that were built without a tachometer. You just have to "feel" the shift points. I've also driven a car with a broken speedometer. You just get used to it.
      08-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #24
Captain Oblivious
My car is for sale
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly for max fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Do you have a MT or AT? If someone has never known sat in an E9x and driven the MT how would they correctly correlate the proper shift point to RPMs without a tach? At this stage there's no reference point, so they cant use the engine sound. How would a deaf person be able use the MT? Would you remove the AT from their options list?
Are you telling me you stare at the tach on every shift? Or that you've never shifted a car with music playing loudly while looking at the road? Do you have any feeling in your feet? Are you really saying that you can't shift a car without a tach or engine noise? You've never driven an old manual junker without a tach?
      08-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #25
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oblivious View Post
Are you telling me you stare at the tach on every shift? Or that you've never shifted a car with music playing loudly while looking at the road?"
Oblivious. Appropriate.

You did not read my reply thoroughly. The scenario I presented is shifting in a vehicle with no feedback and/or previous reference point.

Quote:
Do you have any feeling in your feet? Are you really saying that you can't shift a car without a tach or engine noise?
You mean "without a tach and engine noise"? Only if I already had another point of reference (speed, vibration, etc), which means Ive driven the vehicle before. All vehicles are different. The variation of rpm curves, gear ratios, differential and even tire sizes determines the optimum shift points.

Do you have a pyschic connection with all vehicles you have never driven? What if the vehicle is a 7 speed? What if its a truck with 10 or more? Youve driven all these before or do you expect everyone to believe you are yoda?

quote=Captain Oblivious;5752641]You've never driven an old manual junker without a tach?[/quote]

Ive driven an MT with no clutch. Yes, it can be done. Sure you can "feel" your way through it but its hard on the synchros. I also knew the vehicle and where the RPMs would match gears. 1st gear was an event..

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #26
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
If a driver who claims to be good at MT and cannot shift the car without visual confirmation from the tach, such drivers should not even claim to be good MT driver. The only time one should rely on the tach is when he or she is unfamilar with a new car and need to experiment when to shift.
Is that not the scenario I presented?

Quote:
What happens if the tach breaks down?
"Oh no, sorry honey I can't drive you to the grocery store because the tach in my car no longer works..." You mentioned about deaf people not able to drive MT because they can't hear engine noise. Can you hear the sound of yoru engine when you accelerate / rev up your car?
Is there a reading comprehension issue here? How would a deaf person introduced to a new vehicle, be able to establish an alternate reference without first referencing the tach? Speed and/or vibration are the only other ones available, but if you dont know what speed/vibration correlates to RPMs then how do you know if you are shifting too soon or too late beyond a stall or over-rev respectively?

Quote:
Most newer cars are relatively quiet and you can't really hear anything coming from the engine during normal driving conditions.
This is completely exaggerated. I don't care if its a Rolls, you can still hear the engine during acceleration/deceleration unless you are deaf.

Quote:
If that is the case, individuals cannot operate a quiet MT car if there is no tach present.
Sure they can, if the can first establish an alternative reference point.

Quote:
Perhaps you should go back and relearn how to drive a MT car and follow the Captain's advice.
You need to be cautious to whom you offer "advice". Perhaps you should take a reading comprehension class..

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #27
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
I use a ScanGauge-II mostly for coolant temp and my real speed not the lie on the speedo.

http://www.scangauge.com/
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #28
Captain Oblivious
My car is for sale
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly for max fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Oblivious. Appropriate.

You did not read my reply thoroughly. The scenario I presented is shifting in a vehicle with no feedback and/or previous reference point.
That is what I was getting at: even without a tach and engine noise, I feel that I still have enough feedback to shift. Regardless, I don't want to argue, let's just agree to disagree.

Or maybe (in character): WAIT, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS?
      08-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #29
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is what I was getting at: even without a tach and engine noise, I feel that I still have enough feedback to shift.
So do I and I understand and agree with that point. The issue however is how to first establish that alternative (relative to a tach) feedback without a tach. Its possible through alot of experimentation but will tend to be very hard on the transmission.

Quote:
Regardless, I don't want to argue, let's just agree to disagree.
Agreed.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #30
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

How many bmw's have you guys that are arguing against a temp gauge owned? How many were past warranty? Every, repeat, EVERY BMW I've owned has needed a cooling system overhaul at one point. I was baffled by the lack of a dipstick since I do most of my own maintenance. However, the missing temp gauge blew my mind. Seriously, cars that are high performance, tend to run hotter than the average car, and have plastic cooling systems known to grenade without warning and they delete the temp gauge? Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
How many bmw's have you guys that are arguing against a temp gauge owned? How many were past warranty? Every, repeat, EVERY BMW I've owned has needed a cooling system overhaul at one point. I was baffled by the lack of a dipstick since I do most of my own maintenance. However, the missing temp gauge blew my mind. Seriously, cars that are high performance, tend to run hotter than the average car, and have plastic cooling systems known to grenade without warning and they delete the temp gauge? Crazy.
+1 my E46's coolant expansion tank cracked last week. Cheap plastic parts in a cooling system just fail out of the blue.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #32
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Rich, is that "scangauge" pretty accurate? Real time info? Where do you have it in the car? Is it wireless? Looks like a cool toy for only $169.

Just looked at their website. Looks like it is corded, but still not bad! I'd like to know where you have yours mounted.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #33
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Rich, is that "scangauge" pretty accurate? Real time info? Where do you have it in the car? Is it wireless? Looks like a cool toy for only $169.

Just looked at their website. Looks like it is corded, but still not bad! I'd like to know where you have yours mounted.
Its on top of my rear view mirror now, but I have moved it a few times last time I had it on top of my center channel speaker on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #34
micah
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
Its on top of my rear view mirror now, but I have moved it a few times last time I had it on top of my center channel speaker on the dash.
If you have a chance to post a picture of that, I'd appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #35
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
It's a moot point, really. Every BMW built since the early 90s have a coolant temp gauge that's BUFFERED. Meaning that once it reaches operating temperature, it stays DEAD CENTER regardless of how hot the engine and coolant temperature really is, until it's about to go kaboom. So even if the coolant temperature gauge is present, it's USELESS. At least right now BMW doesn't pretend to care what the customer need to see, and just gives you two warnings: Your engine is about to blow up, and your engine is PAST blowing up, which serves the same purpose as the buffered coolant gauge ANYWAY.

Which leads me to believe the next step for BMW would be to buffer the oil temp gauge as well or remove it all together, given how many people b*tched and complained that their oil temp gauge is at 260 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #36
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep

So if the scan gauge reads the info from OBDII is it real temp?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #37
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I use a ScanGauge-II mostly for coolant temp and my real speed not the lie on the speedo.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Ordered.

Txs ... about exactly what I wanted - and more.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #38
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

My car is an 07 and has a temp gauge. Are you saying yours does not?

When your car gets too hot it automatically goes into limp mode so I don't see the issue here???
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #39
micah
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Ordered.

Txs ... about exactly what I wanted - and more.
Just noticed amazon.com is selling this for $10 off the ScanGuage.com site price, with free shipping if you're an Amazon Prime (maybe even if you're not)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #40
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
Just noticed amazon.com is selling this for $10 off the ScanGuage.com site price, with free shipping if you're an Amazon Prime (maybe even if you're not)
Amazon.com won't sell to Canada (amazon.ca does but SG not listed).

I also checked ebay. No big deal.

Quote:
My car is an 07 and has a temp gauge. Are you saying yours does not?

When your car gets too hot it automatically goes into limp mode so I don't see the issue here???
Most E90 N52 does not have a temp gauge. And when they do, it is not a "real one". Read above.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #41
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
If you have a chance to post a picture of that, I'd appreciate it.
Here is it mounted on the dash and im still looking for the other pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #42
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here are some other ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #43
micah
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are some other ones.
Thanks, I was wondering if I could make it fit with the premium package mirror, and you have proven it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #44
Saintor
Banned
Rep

My temp stays around 175-205.... I thought it would be higher than that.
Appreciate 0