BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > EVO M4 CSL REVIEW (spoiler alert, he likes the M2 CS better )

10-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

EVO M4 CSL REVIEW (spoiler alert, he likes the M2 CS better )

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m4-coupe/2...sl-2022-review
Appreciate 5
      10-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

IMO this cars importance is demonstrating that BMW can still turn out some highly capable cars even when the fastest "ring" time is never really their objective. Sadly, trying to show they can compete with P-car laptimes even though they are seriously different cars. Seems to me the CSL would not have given up much if they went with some carbon rear seats that could be tolerated for short periods of time. Like the M2 and the GTS the enthusiasts will certainly squeeze out even more from the chassis.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Lol on the spoiler alert. Both great cars. Both very different cars. If you want nimble and a rocket ship, possible manual, get an M2 CS.

If you want rocket ship that's faster, automatic and a bigger car, get the M4 CSL.

Both cars are great. One is $50g plus more though. Tough choices.
F87EVO4062.50
      10-03-2022, 12:57 AM   #4
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Lol on the spoiler alert. Both great cars. Both very different cars. If you want nimble and a rocket ship, possible manual, get an M2 CS.

If you want rocket ship that's faster, automatic and a bigger car, get the M4 CSL.

Both cars are great. One is $50g plus more though. Tough choices.
Best explanation
      10-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
At the price point, the reviews on the new Z06 look like it will be a mighty competitor to the CSL. Closer comparison with only 2 seats, although the BMW does have more daily cargo capacity.

Nothing really fits the CS 6MT space, except the M2C.

The CSL is more special than the Z06, but I just read on MT that it's better than the Viper ACR and Ford GT. That is a big statement.

Dedicated sports/track car, I'd probably go Z06 at the price point. Usable daily with an auto, I'd go M5 CS.

That said, I don't blame anyone who is getting a CSL. You'll be the only one in town with such a cool car.

We are splitting hairs on some of the greatest cars ever made.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4062.50
      10-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Bought the digital version of it . Ill stand to this :

Perhaps my expectations were set too high after the brilliant M2 CS and flawless M5 CS.
Perhaps the conditions and the tyre fitment eroded too much of what makes the CSL special.
For me, though, the M4 CSL feels like a car that doesn't quite come together. It's funny, those other recent CS models seemed to change very little over their Competition siblings yet delivered a completely different and much more complete driving experience. The CSL feels different, that's for sure, but in this instance there's a nagging feeling that it's less than the sum of its considerable parts.

It got 4 stars out of 5 .
The M2 CS back then got 5 out of 5.

MadBimmeRad
Everything happens for a reason
Attached Images

RideM317.00
CarJunkie2618.50
      10-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #7
NYNick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

I picked up my car after the annual service at the dealer yesterday. The sales kid was drooling. He could care less about the M4 CSL, the M5 CS or the upcoming M2. He couldn't stop gushing about my car.
Appreciate 3
RideM317.00
JPMD171.00
      10-05-2022, 08:15 PM   #8
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
At the price point, the reviews on the new Z06 look like it will be a mighty competitor to the CSL.
BMW should hope no one compares the CSL to a Z06. The Z06 is a serious machine. The CSL appears to be a poor value except for BMW collectors and fans. I have no doubt it's great, but it's not really comparable to a GT3 or Z06.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 09:58 PM   #9
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
At the price point, the reviews on the new Z06 look like it will be a mighty competitor to the CSL.
BMW should hope no one compares the CSL to a Z06. The Z06 is a serious machine. The CSL appears to be a poor value except for BMW collectors and fans. I have no doubt it's great, but it's not really comparable to a GT3 or Z06.
I think the one thing I give BMW credit for, it's sticks to its formula of M-ifying regular cars. That's it's game and will always be it's game.

The GT3 and Z06 are both dedicated sports cars, and Porsche has largely stuck to its game by improving the 911.

But Chevy made the Z06 a direct rip off of Ferrari mid engine cars like the 458 Italia. The corvette is now a mid-engined, DCT car developed to sound like a Ferrari.

I'm sure it's a great car, but in pics and in the spec sheet, it looks like a dollar store knockoff for the Ferrari people wish they could buy. Heck with the ADMs for the Z06, go get a used 458. At least you get the real thing.
Appreciate 1
chris7197393.50
      10-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I think the one thing I give BMW credit for, it's sticks to its formula of M-ifying regular cars. That's it's game and will always be it's game.

The GT3 and Z06 are both dedicated sports cars, and Porsche has largely stuck to its game by improving the 911.

But Chevy made the Z06 a direct rip off of Ferrari mid engine cars like the 458 Italia. The corvette is now a mid-engined, DCT car developed to sound like a Ferrari.

I'm sure it's a great car, but in pics and in the spec sheet, it looks like a dollar store knockoff for the Ferrari people wish they could buy. Heck with the ADMs for the Z06, go get a used 458. At least you get the real thing.
I see what you mean. I think you're right in a way as well.

To me, once you rip the rear seats out of a 4 seat car, you're going for something really hardcore. I don't know if I see room for this version of a CSL to exist when the CS occupies almost the same niche. The GTS was more like what I expected this CSL to be.

I guess I'm just saying that if you remove the rear seats and charge this much it better be an absolute monster. Doesn't seem like it's lived up to it based on the initial reviews.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4062.50
      10-06-2022, 04:05 AM   #11
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
Bought the digital version of it . Ill stand to this :

Perhaps my expectations were set too high after the brilliant M2 CS and flawless M5 CS.
Perhaps the conditions and the tyre fitment eroded too much of what makes the CSL special.
For me, though, the M4 CSL feels like a car that doesn't quite come together. It's funny, those other recent CS models seemed to change very little over their Competition siblings yet delivered a completely different and much more complete driving experience. The CSL feels different, that's for sure, but in this instance there's a nagging feeling that it's less than the sum of its considerable parts.

It got 4 stars out of 5 .
The M2 CS back then got 5 out of 5.

MadBimmeRad
Everything happens for a reason
Well my friend, it seems I'll have a 4.5-star rating on aggregate
F87EVO4062.50
      10-06-2022, 04:08 AM   #12
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
yes sir ! which is awesome . Waiting to see your spec !!!
      10-06-2022, 04:09 AM   #13
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I picked up my car after the annual service at the dealer yesterday. The sales kid was drooling. He could care less about the M4 CSL, the M5 CS or the upcoming M2. He couldn't stop gushing about my car.
It's funny you say that. I was at the local Porsche dealership some time ago to test drive a 911 GTS. No sooner had I pulled in, two mechanics and a SA came almost running to see the M2CS - and this was against a backdrop of a 911 Carrera GT being in the service centre.
F87EVO4062.50
      10-06-2022, 04:18 AM   #14
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
yes sir ! which is awesome . Waiting to see your spec !!!
FBG with stripes and full carbon seats

July-ish next year

I'm thinking, maybe, I'll get wider rims (305s at the back and ~275 @ the front)

Won't know till I see the car
      10-06-2022, 04:50 AM   #15
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

July-ish next year

I'm thinking, maybe, I'll get wider rims (305s at the back and ~275 @ the front)

Great choice , love launch spec limited edition cars. Iconic
Wait until you see the car , imo ive seen it in your spec irl , and it looks awesome!
Attached Images

Jimjamz4603.50
      10-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #16
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

July-ish next year

Great choice , love launch spec limited edition cars. Iconic
Wait until you see the car , imo ive seen it in your spec irl , and it looks awesome!
You just made my day

Especially knowing I've secured the right number plate for both cars (///M TOWN for the M2CS, and ///M4 CSL for his bigger brother)
F87EVO4062.50
      10-06-2022, 08:59 AM   #17
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You just made my day

Especially knowing I've secured the right number plate for both cars (///M TOWN for the M2CS, and ///M4 CSL for his bigger brother)
Wow ! I wish we could choose our own number plate here as well ! Congrats lucky man !
      10-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #18
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You just made my day

Wow ! I wish we could choose our own number plate here as well ! Congrats lucky man !
Thank you very much my dear friend, those who know me personally would consider me the luckiest man alive - emphasis on alive

There is a much bigger story about this journey than I'm permitted to tell anyone just yet.

But when it comes out, if it comes out, it'll blow many minds.

When that happens, you just have to watch the movie to learn about, and appreciate, it in its fullest capacity 😉😉
F87EVO4062.50
      10-06-2022, 09:10 AM   #19
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is a much bigger story about this journey than I'm permitted to tell anyone just yet.

When that happens, you just have to watch the movie to learn about, and appreciate, it in its fullest capacity 😉😉
I wish it comes out , can't wait !! In the movie , tag the M2 CS owners from Bimmerpost in the end ! Lol !
      10-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #20
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I wish it comes out , can't wait !! In the movie , tag the M2 CS owners from Bimmerpost in the end ! Lol !
You will be the first to get a mention as shall all my M2CS brethren here

Let me say this, for me (and I sincerely hope many others), owning a BMW is more of a spiritual motoring journey than a Rolex or Cartier moment.

I love BMW precisely because it is BMW and not a Porsche - I'm attracted to the raw, rough and rugged nature of BMW. I'd liken it to seeing a lion in the wild, as opposed to seeing a lion in a zoo.

I want that awe inspiring adrenaline infused rush of watching a lion in the jungle and BMW does that for me perfectly around the windy roads in the local Hills - it interests me not so much for it's performance in a closed circuit going round and round at high speed like a hampster wheel on steroids. I like the real world appeal in a car, and any track prowess is a bonus on top.

Watch this space towards the middle to end of next year for the real story, if allowed to be uttered out loud 😉
F87EVO4062.50
      10-06-2022, 10:10 AM   #21
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "MadBimmeRad;29409957"

Let me say this, for me (and I sincerely hope many others), owning a BMW is more of a spiritual motoring journey than a Rolex or Cartier moment.

I love BMW precisely because it is BMW and not a Porsche - I'm attracted to the raw, rough and rugged nature of BMW. I'd liken it to seeing a lion in the wild, as opposed to seeing a lion in a zoo.

I want that awe inspiring adrenaline infused rush of watching a lion in the jungle and BMW does that for me perfectly around the windy roads in the local Hills - it interests me not so much for it's performance in a closed circuit going round and round at high speed like a hampster wheel on steroids. I like the real world appeal in a car, and any track prowess is a bonus on top.

Watch this space towards the middle to end of next year for the real story, if allowed to be uttered out loud 😉
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "MadBimmeRad;29409957"

You said it all my dear friend. I feel you and i wish i could express myself in English as good as in my Greek language , but i feel you , i understand what you say , you have passion .. real passion , this is easy for anyone i believe here to feel by the way you re expressing yourself about BMW ! I hope my friend Artemis could see this thread and im sure if you are willing as well , to be an admin here on Bimmerpost . We want people like you here !! Just sayin..

In the meantime ,i'll keep hoping for the movie or what it would be !
      10-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #22
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

But when it comes out, [...]
You said it all my dear friend. I feel you and i wish i could express myself in English as good as in my Greek language , but i feel you , i understand what you say , you have passion .. real passion , this is easy for anyone i believe here to feel by the way you re expressing yourself about BMW ! I hope my friend Artemis could see this thread and im sure if you are willing as well , to be an admin here on Bimmerpost . We want people like you here !! Just sayin..

In the meantime ,i'll keep hoping for the movie or what it would be !

I'm honoured my friend

I have no objection to being in any position that adds value to this forum, me dear friends, and fellow BMW lovers like you

Also, you do perfectly well with English - it is with our hearts that we speak, you and I, not with our tongues - that which comes from the heart is a universal language and needs not any interpretational skills
F87EVO4062.50