View Single Post
      05-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #68
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
For those who missed the 'closed deck' rap battle.

In the past an epic-esque debate raged on this forum tackling the question whether the N55B30T0 engine powering the base M2 was 'open deck' or 'closed deck'.

I had my doubts about the accuracy of official initial BMW 'closed deck' information and explained on the forum why I believed the base M2 engine to be 'open deck'. To my eyes, there was a mismatch of information. By doing so I inevitably challenged the official initial BMW information stating 'closed deck' (threads: here, here, here and here). Some forum fellows kindly commented that I got it wrong ("rather weak conjecture" as someone coined it).

The discussion seemed to be sealed after 'closed deck' confirmation by e-mail by BMWNA (when inquired by some forum fellow in order to end the forum discussion for once and for all). This 'closed deck' confirmation didn't convince me and I persisted: 'open deck'. Some lost their temper and in some way or another blamed me for not being capable of handling the (alleged) 'closed deck' truth.

And later the final answer came through: BMWNA confirmed in the end that - as I had supposed - the M2 engine is effectively 'open deck'. All 'closed deck' references have vanished from BMW M2 press releases and the BMWNA website. And, some forum fellows of the 'flat earth society' who had been rather unkind with me without merit, went quiet.

Before - twice the mistaken 'closed deck' reference (former link, now dead: https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-models/m2.html):

After (former link, now re-allocated: https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-models/m2.html):

M2 Competition and M2 CS, on the other hand, feature an S55 engine = closed deck engine layout.
I remember this all too well. It got rather heated and quite a bit of name calling ensued. Truth be told, I was there out of curiosity and enjoying the debate, but also waiting for someone to step over the line and get banned.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50