06-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #72
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
Here's a video of a 7:55 BTG run by a manual M2 in traffic on a partially damp track. I would say that 7:52 is certainly achievable. I never understand why 1M owners get so upset that there are newer, faster cars available. I have no plans to sell my M2, but considering that over here we got a little over 300 1Ms, and you can currently have one for around half of what they sold for new (with very low mileage), I'm kind of glad I don't think it's a hedge against inflation. Used 1Ms were selling for well over MSRP here only a few years ago, but prices have certainly crashed and I've seen a lot more of them come up for sale since the M2 has hit dealerships.
You might want to check your stats.

I currently saw 19 1Ms for sale in Australia on carsales.com.au with the cheapest car at ~$64k and the average price somewhere in the $70s. Very low mileage examples (which you reference) are easily in the $80s. If I researched correctly, 1Ms were just shy of $100k fully loaded in Australia - I can't seem to find any that are close to $50k (which you also referenced), even high mileage examples.

Yes, there are some 1M owners that track their prices like stocks but most just really enjoy the driving engagement they cannot find any most cars these days (especially BMWs). Understanding that Australia, with a population of 23m, got more than 300 1Ms (which means there is a 1M for every 77k people) compared to the North america where population is 320m and only 740 1M (meaning a 1M for every 430k people) - of course demand in Australia is lower and prices are lower - no surprise there
Appreciate 1