11-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #28
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
In terms of performance, I'm willing to bet that the GT4 will be faster at most race tracks, but the M2 will cover ground faster in the real world. The GT4 will probably give up a bit of day to day usability over the Cayman GTS. The M2 might even be more fun to drive in day to day situations, who knows.
The M2 will be faster than the GT4 in the real world where? I'll bet the M2 will feel faster, but even the Cayman GTS is likely to equal it on the freeway, and it will absolutely run away and hide anywhere else. The M2's torque advantage will likely be nullified in cut and thrust traffic by a that fraction of lag.

I own a 1M, have plenty of seat time in quick Caymans but don't particularly love them, and have a deposit down on a GT4 (but I'm not sure I'll take it). I'd probably have gotten a new GT3 if it had been available with a manual.

I'm not shopping for performance exactly, but for adjust-ability, a certain balance of grip and power, interactivity and experience. My predictions- I expect each to be strong in different areas:

The M2 will probably be more fun at lower (street) speeds. It will be easier to steer with the right foot because it will have less grip overall. I like the overall size and traction vs power balance of the 1M, and the M2 should continue this. As speed climbs the chassis will prove less competent and it'll be less fun than the GT4. It likely won't be track-durable or warranted, so the combo would likely restrict it to a street car.

Things that could tip me towards the M2: a more composed chassis on/ over the limit, improved progressiveness over the limit at higher speeds, better track durability/ warranty. More suspension adjust-ability (camber, swaybars). All while not losing the playful/ sideways character.

The GT4 will probably have too much grip for its own good, making it less mobile and fun at low speeds. As speeds climb it will come into its own, however it'll probably always be more grip than would be ideal to get the chassis really moving around anywhere short of the track. It'll still be good fun up to 8/10ths, beyond which the rear suspension will let it down (vs a 911/ GT3) making it less progressive at the limit or rewarding over it. It will likely come with a warranty good for the track, good because that's where it'll be most fun.

Things that could tip me towards the GT4: more ability to steer with the right foot, especially at low speeds. A more playful/ progressive rear end at and over the limit. Improved power to weight ratio vs msrp.

I don't see the 4C as having the chassis tuning needed to go with its spec sheet, and wouldn't consider it. The GT350 or F Type R/ GT3 might make the list. The M3/ M4 won't- too big, as the AMG GT3 will likely be. I've got a few other cars, so I'm trying to fill a "fun, mostly street, serious driver's car" spot in the fleet.

Last edited by Pete_vB; 11-23-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 1