BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

09-11-2017, 03:52 AM   #1057
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman1977 View Post
Although I'm not Artemis per se..

Let me put it this way: It seems highly unlikely that the CS is NOT being developed at the M GmbH in Garching - where else would BMW develop an M car if not at the designated headquarter?

Cheers from Berlin
Ah, I thought at this stage most of the development and production planning would be at the m test center at nurburg and Leipzig.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #1058
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

2NH appears to be option on new 7 series

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Index
BMW Model Discussions
7 Series & 8 Series
7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
figgie
MN
May 03, 2016 · #1
M Sport Brakes 2NH
Update 6-16-2016:
Ok,

it seems like all the documentation is correct. I just got off the phone with 2 BMW Geniuses (In Ohio) and BMW NA. I ordered my 750 with the 2NH option and it came with black calipers (ie the autobahn calipers). This is incorrect. So now I am talking with my CA as it is supposed to be the blue calipers AND larger rotors (hence the requirement for the 21H wheels). Apparently BMW GmbH erred on this option.

Update: It took BMW Geniuses 1 month to get back to me but finally.

Here is the sizing;

standard: 348mm (13.7) front disc, 345mm (13.58") rear disc. Grey Calipers
Autobahn package: Black Grey Calipers
M-Sport Package: 374mm (14.72") front disc, 370mm (14.57") rear disc, Blue calipers. No wonder the M-sport package is needed. It is a 1 inch increase in disc size on all 4 corners.

The same option on 3 series seemed to have same size rotors.

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302408

If they played with M5 parts

For stopping, the M5 gets as standard 15.5-inch steel rotors up front with 6-piston fixed calipers and 15-inch rear rotors with floating single-piston calipers.

~394mm f and 381mm r

I guess my point to all of that......I thought the M2 already had 380mm fronts. Would they use the same option number for different size rotors. Or is 2NH the same no matter what car its on?

Last edited by medphysdave; 09-11-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 02:26 AM   #1059
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 View Post

Very much doubt the CS will be at Frankfurt, suspect it will be all M5
So no M2 CS at Frankfurt

https://www.facebook.com/BMW.M/videos/1417937858243240/
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #1060
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Also, looking at the options on the 2nd car, the "2NH M Sport Brake" could be the option to get those larger brakes that we see testing in the spyshots. Wonder how much that option would cost.
Commented earlier (see posts #591 and #694 in the other dedicated M2 CS thread) that I trust that BMW M will walk the smart road by offering choices (transmission, brakes, wheels, seats, etc.: standard versus optional), as this may offer an advantage over the competition, garner interest of a broad market of potential customers and allow to keep the M2 CS base price (zero options) attractive.

If BMW M wouldn't do that, it would IMHO miss a golden opportunity in many ways.

And remember about the bigger brother M4 CS: "not a limited series, just limited by production capacity" confirmed BMW M CEO Frank Van Meel in May 2017 (source: here - in the same interview he also confirmed that the production volume of the base M2 will be increased). IMHO it makes sense to expect to hear that same phrase again at the future M2 CS launch.

Name:  ALaCarte.png
Views: 2550
Size:  90.2 KB
      09-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #1061
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I trust that BMW M will walk the smart road by offering choices (transmission, brakes, wheels, seats, etc.: standard versus optional), as this may offer an advantage over the competition, garner interest of a broad market of potential customers and allow to keep the M2 CS base price (zero options) attractive.

If BMW M wouldn't do that, it would IMHO miss a golden opportunity in many ways.

And remember about the bigger brother M4 CS: "not a limited series, just limited by production capacity" confirmed BMW M CEO Frank Van Meel in May 2017 (source: here - in the same interview he also confirmed that the production volume of the base M2 will be increased). IMHO it makes sense to expect to hear that same phrase again at the future M2 CS launch.

Attachment 1689142
I agree that production will be limited by capacity but if what you're saying about options is true, surely the production numbers will be lower due to increased manufacturing complexity. It will then become a numbers game to the finance guys at BMW.

Will they sell X M2CS's with multiple options available for customization, making an average of Y profit/vehicle, or will they be better off selling X+500 cars with minimal customization making <Y/vehicle but a greater profit overall? I am not so sure the M4CS can be used as a template for the M2CS solely based on the fact that they are built in different factories with different production capacities and models.

Personally, just offering a choice of transmission and CCB's would be ideal, with a better interior coming standard, but we'll see how it comes to fruition. Looking forward to more info coming out on this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #1062
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Earlier:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Any confirmation if the M2 competition or CS will be a 4 or a 2 seats car?
4-seater
Now also officially confirmed by BMW M boss Van Meel (source: here):
"CSL [will be] the top-of-the-line track tool, made on the track for the track, just with a number plate," Van Meel said. With a CSL, you can expect cup tires, coilover suspension, a roll cage, water injection, and a fire extinguisher. Van Meel says that the CS on the other hand is "also a track tool, but with four seats," and more emphasis on comfort.
      09-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #1063
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Earlier:

"CSL [will be] the top-of-the-line track tool, made on the track for the track, just with a number plate," Van Meel said. With a CSL, you can expect cup tires, coilover suspension, a roll cage, water injection, and a fire extinguisher. Van Meel says that the CS on the other hand is "also a track tool, but with four seats," and more emphasis on comfort.
Do you think the M2 was intentionally handicapped from a weight perspective so another lighter model (CSL) could be introduced in the near future. There is almost no CF on the M2 which also goes against a statement he had made in an earlier interview (About M cars) where he was questioned about weight savings on the M4 GTS to which he responded stating that the base M4 was already light and further savings would not be easy to accomplish.

If BMW M gave the M2 the same weight savings treatment as the GTS but without the roll cage, the car could be seriously lighter I think, thereby validating it's CSL name.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #1064
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Earlier:

This comment supports the DCT only hunch.
      09-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #1065
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
This comment supports the DCT only hunch.
That would make sense as laptimes would be a priority. Leave the 6MT option for the CS.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #1066
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That would make sense as laptimes would be a priority. Leave the 6MT option for the CS.
I think he meant the opposite. CS would have a DCT only is what he implied.
Appreciate 1
stefan2354.00
      09-14-2017, 02:42 AM   #1067
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

This is the reason we were given for there being no M4 CSL in the pipeline.

Quote:
he responded stating that the base M4 was already light and further savings would not be easy to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:12 AM   #1068
Hasan Shaikh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63 M6, E36 M3 EVO (Euro Spec)

Hi Guys

New here. Any rumors on when the M2 CS/CSL/GTS will be launched.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:31 AM   #1069
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Think ultra-light CFRP as used on the 2002 Hommage. We've been told by Van Meel that a road going car might use this in the future but it will be built in small numbers due to the high-cost. 999, March 2019, M2 CSL and £85k+ come to mind

Quote:
If BMW M gave the M2 the same weight savings treatment as the GTS but without the roll cage, the car could be seriously lighter I think, thereby validating it's CSL name.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 04:15 AM   #1070
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
2NH appears to be option on new 7 series

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Index
BMW Model Discussions
7 Series &amp;amp; 8 Series
7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
figgie
MN
May 03, 2016 #1
M Sport Brakes 2NH
Update 6-16-2016:
Ok,

it seems like all the documentation is correct. I just got off the phone with 2 BMW Geniuses (In Ohio) and BMW NA. I ordered my 750 with the 2NH option and it came with black calipers (ie the autobahn calipers). This is incorrect. So now I am talking with my CA as it is supposed to be the blue calipers AND larger rotors (hence the requirement for the 21H wheels). Apparently BMW GmbH erred on this option.

Update: It took BMW Geniuses 1 month to get back to me but finally.

Here is the sizing;

standard: 348mm (13.7) front disc, 345mm (13.58") rear disc. Grey Calipers
Autobahn package: Black Grey Calipers
M-Sport Package: 374mm (14.72") front disc, 370mm (14.57") rear disc, Blue calipers. No wonder the M-sport package is needed. It is a 1 inch increase in disc size on all 4 corners.

The same option on 3 series seemed to have same size rotors.

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302408

If they played with M5 parts

For stopping, the M5 gets as standard 15.5-inch steel rotors up front with 6-piston fixed calipers and 15-inch rear rotors with floating single-piston calipers.

~394mm f and 381mm r

I guess my point to all of that......I thought the M2 already had 380mm fronts. Would they use the same option number for different size rotors. Or is 2NH the same no matter what car its on?
Those are poor comparisons to use. Diameter isn't everything. More so when the PCD, Hub, and resulting swept annulus area are completely different. Now you want options as standard and cross compare incompatible components?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 05:47 AM   #1071
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Those are poor comparisons to use. Diameter isn't everything. More so when the PCD, Hub, and resulting swept annulus area are completely different. Now you want options as standard and cross compare incompatible components?
Did you actually read that post???? You don't need to quote a post to add a random comment. Those can be slipped in anywhere. Feel free to comment about the standardization of an option code across multiple models. Does the product remain the same, or can it differ? I.e rotor diameter.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #1072
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Did you actually read that post???? You don't need to quote a post to add a random comment. Those can be slipped in anywhere. Feel free to comment about the standardization of an option code across multiple models. Does the product remain the same, or can it differ? I.e rotor diameter.
Yes I read it. I also know there's a lot of legacy de-trimming/translation occurring, code names inserted to have a little fun with the online crowd, and to keep certain surprises under wraps.

Project Masterpiece for instance comes to mind immediately.

With 2NH, an additional code accompanies to distinguish what color Caliper is installed. On its own, it's simply Sport Brake Kit when not under ZS special request.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #1073
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
M2 CS

Gents, is this car really going to happen? I'm about to put an order on an M2 but will hold off if this is coming?

Thanks, guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #1074
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger453 View Post
Gents, is this car really going to happen? I'm about to put an order on an M2 but will hold off if this is coming?

Thanks, guys.
It's definitely coming! It's been documented in many places. Expect a mark-up...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #1075
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger453 View Post

Thanks, guys.
If you're serious go to your dealer and make an agreement with them you get the first CS they get at MSRP and put a deposit down and get all that in writing. If it never comes out get your deposit back.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #1076
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

So I got an interesting call from my CA where I am number 2 on their list for a M2 CS. I have a deposit down with them with pricing, so everything is legit.

He said that a very reputable person at his dealership talked to a BMW rep and informed him that there will be only 1,000 M2 CS units coming to the U.S. I heard about this 1,000 number somewhere but the recent information was that the CS will not be limited, only limited by the production availability. My CA mentioned that since I am number 2 I might not get one because their dealer will be only receiving one if there is 1,000 coming.

I told him no one knows for sure yet and I will wait it out. He just wanted to let me know.

Also recent rumors are that the M2 Competition might be coming out ahead of the CS. Waiting game continues.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #1077
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
So I got an interesting call from my CA where I am number 2 on their list for a M2 CS. I have a deposit down with them with pricing, so everything is legit.

He said that a very reputable person at his dealership talked to a BMW rep and informed him that there will be only 1,000 M2 CS units coming to the U.S. I heard about this 1,000 number somewhere but the recent information was that the CS will not be limited, only limited by the production availability. My CA mentioned that since I am number 2 I might not get one because their dealer will be only receiving one if there is 1,000 coming.

I told him no one knows for sure yet and I will wait it out. He just wanted to let me know.

Also recent rumors are that the M2 Competition might be coming out ahead of the CS. Waiting game continues.
I think your CA might be a bit confused.

As discussed previously here, there is no competition pack for the M2. There is a Competition (not a pack) version which is another name for the CS. This is the one with the S55 engine.

The limited volume model he mentioned may be referring to the GTS/CSL variant which may be in the works as a halo version that sits above the CS

Obviously this is all still speculation until we see something in the metal but a lot of this info comes from some very reliable sources on this forum
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #1078
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post

If 1000 are coming to the US, your dealership should get 2. I'm sure you'll be ok when the time comes.

We've heard a few different variations of the 1000 number so far. Your dealership is the first one to say 1000 coming to the US which would not make it that limited. That would still leave room for a limited model like a CSL maybe which in turn would mostly not happen for another 2 years based on @ynguldyn. This would put you in a situation where you might not know if you want to buy a CS or wait for the possible GTS/CSL.

Nothing to do but wait and watch and pray and hope.

Edit: There is a Bulgarian article published in the last 24 hours stating that the CS will have 444 hp derived from the ZCP M4 engine and be produced in extremely low numbers of 200. Guess there's too many theories floating around.

Last edited by Gatte; 09-16-2017 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0