View Single Post
      09-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #1030
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
So a publication wrote an article based on pure speculation and rumors, credited to an anonymous source.... and it is now being discredited with more pure speculation and rumors.....by forum members....stay with me now..... about a car that BMW won't even acknowledge it's existence?
Am I caught up yet?
Ignorance is bliss. Believe what you wanna believe.

In the past an epic-esque debate raged on this forum tackling the question whether the N55B30T0 engine powering the base M2 is 'open deck' or 'closed deck'. It even became a running gag. What the papers said: several official press releases of BMW M2 launch (October 2015) and the BMWNA website prominently stated that the M2 engine was 'closed deck'. I had my doubts about the accuracy of that information and explained on the forum with a reasoning why I believed the M2 engine to be 'open deck' (threads: here, here, here and here). Most forum fellows kindly commented that I got it wrong ("rather weak conjecture" as someone coined it). A forum fellow (with whom the debate has always been respectful and civilized) even walked the extra mile to correspond with BMWNA about this topic. Initially he got a 'closed deck' response from a BMWNA engine expert product spokesperson. As that still didn't convince me because of loose ends, some forum fellows over here got a tad irritated with my 'open deck' persistence, to the point that one guy even got a temporary ban for name-calling (repeatedly lamenting that anyone suggesting 'open deck' was an idiot, etc.). How did that story end: the final answer came through: the M2 engine is 'open deck'. 'Closed deck' references have vanished from BMW M2 press releases and the BMWNA website.

Have I gotten any insider info whatsoever about this ? Honestly, not at all, really. Just keep your eyes open for relevant dots on the radar (interwebs) and use your mind to connect those. Of course sometimes the educated guessing turns out to be wrong, but not always (dots can be clues), and sometimes BMW changes plans, resulting into initial information getting outdated.

So don't take everything that gets posted as gospel. Even if someday I would get insider info straight from BMW people, I would refrain from posting it, out of respect for BMW and BMW people. Often, silence is golden. I'm a BMW M enthusiast and customer and wanna keep it that way.

If you ask me what I think about the rumor that M2 test mules exist with a 410hp [metric] 3.0 S55 engine and with AW, BSM, LBB, Sunset Orange Metallic and Hockenheim Silber Metallic paint codes: to me that sounds as accurate as that the base M2 engine has 'open deck' and that the M2 CS engine has 'closed deck'.