E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about Battery in 335

12-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Question about Battery in 335

So, I know this is a subject that has been beaten to death, but I have a slightly different twist on it.

After replacing the battery, there is a heated discussion about whether or not it needs to be registered to adapt the charge properly. So my question, given that the computer determines the state of the battery through the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor), what happens if you just unplug the sensor? I'm pretty sure it throws a silent error, but without the sensor, how does it charge the battery?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

your car won't work
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
NikosBM
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Dude... registering your batter takes literally 10 minutes and ANYONE with the equipment for coding (mirrors, iDrive, keyfob, etc) can do it for you. check craigslist or kijiji.

You have to register your battery or else you could just kill you battery in less than a year or even short things.

get it registered...

and if you cant find someone independant, BMW charges $50 for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
your car won't work
False. For sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosBM View Post
Dude... registering your batter takes literally 10 minutes and ANYONE with the equipment for coding (mirrors, iDrive, keyfob, etc) can do it for you. check craigslist or kijiji.

You have to register your battery or else you could just kill you battery in less than a year or even short things.

get it registered...

and if you cant find someone independant, BMW charges $50 for it.
You misunderstand... I'm not trying to dodge registering the battery. I changed it yesterday and discovered that the IBS was already unplugged. I had the recall service done this May/June period, and I'm wondering if the tech at the dealer left it unplugged to quicken the death of my battery and drum up some business.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
NikosBM
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydicule View Post
You misunderstand... I'm not trying to dodge registering the battery. I changed it yesterday and discovered that the IBS was already unplugged. I had the recall service done this May/June period, and I'm wondering if the tech at the dealer left it unplugged to quicken the death of my battery and drum up some business.
Apologies.

If you can somehow prove that, I would absolutely go FULL kamakazie on them.... no remorse.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
srezzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I replaced my battery (with registration) last year. This year, my alternator went bad and was putting upwards to 18V. Had the alternator replaced and a few months later the battery went. This was most likely caused by the bad alternator. I replaced the battery and registered it. The car still cranks slower then I believe it should and I'm also curious what would happen if I were to disconnect the IBS. I don't see any benefit to having this part designed into the car and if there is a way to bypass it I would be thrilled!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

The car would appear to work as normal. Only there will be no battery monitoring by the IBS that is all. In the event by some miraculous way however; if there is a short to the battery/car, the car will not know to cut power from the distribution block. Ie fire, electronics failure etc etc..
      12-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
DouggyB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
The car would appear to work as normal. Only there will be no battery monitoring by the IBS that is all. In the event by some miraculous way however; if there is a short to the battery/car, the car will not know to cut power from the distribution block. Ie fire, electronics failure etc etc..
I’m not sure this is very accurate. The main job of the IBS is to measure temp, voltage & current. If a draw is detected, the first thing that happens is 30g_f is turned off then on. If that doesn’t’ work, it turns 30g_f off. If SoC drops below minimum start capability, the same path is taken. I’m pretty sure the only time the BST blows is when the MRS commands so.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouggyB
Quote:
Im not sure this is very accurate. The main job of the IBS is to measure temp, voltage & current. If a draw is detected, the first thing that happens is 30g_f is turned off then on. If that doesnt work, it turns 30g_f off. If SoC drops below minimum start capability, the same path is taken. Im pretty sure the only time the BST blows is when the MRS commands so.
:0... It may not be the very best I could piece together what I've read. If I'm incorrect I shall stand corrected. My understanding was that the distribution block was heavily dependent on the IBS sensor for any infraction in terms of electrical failure of any sort.
      12-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Car will default to a pre determined routine, same procedure as if any sensor failed.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
DouggyB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
:0... It may not be the very best I could piece together what I've read. If I'm incorrect I shall stand corrected. My understanding was that the distribution block was heavily dependent on the IBS sensor for any infraction in terms of electrical failure of any sort.
The JBE controls the JB which has the bi-stable relay (30g_f). The JBE gets charge/discharge info from the DME, who gets the info/processes info from the IBS.

Bus systems can be no fun to Diag!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouggyB View Post
The JBE controls the JB which has the bi-stable relay (30g_f). The JBE gets charge/discharge info from the DME, who gets the info/processes info from the IBS.

Bus systems can be no fun to Diag!
Holy cra... Thanks! Sounds fun in a learning way.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Are u sure the IBS was disconnected or was it the transport cable??

We all have the transport cable disconnected since we r actively using the car after original delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Are u sure the IBS was disconnected or was it the transport cable??

We all have the transport cable disconnected since we r actively using the car after original delivery.
It was the blue connector wired to the harness on the right side of this picture. My impression is that this is the IBS, while the transport cable is the black one below it. Is this inaccurate?

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
It was the blue connector wired to the harness on the right side of this picture. My impression is that this is the IBS, while the transport cable is the black one below it. Is this inaccurate?

My IBS cable *i think* is under that battery hold down, you can see that blue connector if u zoom in. However, i have another connector that is just dangling as well (forgot what color it is) but its a transport cable and should not be connected.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
AughtOcho335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosBM View Post
Apologies.

If you can somehow prove that, I would absolutely go FULL kamakazie on them.... no remorse.
I don't understand how self-sacrifice would get him anywhere but d e d, ded! But hey, what the hell, it might work
Appreciate 0