E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > just got 08 e92, is my alarm activated?

11-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
umicheng
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI, MT

just got 08 e92, is my alarm activated?

Hi all - picked up an 08 e92 335xi...brought it to the dealer who was showing me how to use all the buttons -_- anyways he locked the car and it made the beeping noise. He said "oh nice, it has a factory alarm on it" I guess it was an added option for the 08s?

I've been reading around that the alarms need to be activated in order to work? Would a NON-activated alarm beep when locked/unlocked and have the flashing red light near the rear view mirror/rain sensor like mine? Or would that be only on activated alarms?

Also - how would the OEM alarm work...meaning, how's it set off and not set off? Thanksss! -Michelle
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
All cars of that vintage have the red 'clown nose' on the rearview mirror regardless of whether the alarm is installed or not.

With that being said, the fact that you get the alarm chirps on lock/unlock, and the clown nose flashes - the alarm is more than likely installed/activated on your car and no need to do anything else (activation is only needed when the alarm is retrofitted). It is possible however, that the previous owner retrofitted the alarm, but never activated it (you will still get the chirps/flash, but no actual alarm functions and panic mode will not work) - so best to check by arming the alarm and try to set it off, or trying to set it off using Panic Mode.

You can also double check EZ by looking under your hood on DS up near the windshield on the cowl - there should be a plunger hood switch mounted there with wires running from it...
  • When armed, the alarm will sound upon opening of any door, trunk, or hood. There is also an ultrasonic motion detector unit housed in the rear dome light housing that detects any interior motion, and a tilt sensor located in DS rear wheelwell under the liner that senses if your car is jacked up or towed (alarm siren that sounds alarm and lock/unlock chirps is also in this location).
  • Finally, there is a 'Panic Function' where you can manually sound the alarm. While the alarm is armed, you hold down the Trunk lock/unlock button on your key fob to activate the panic alarm.
  • If you have iDrive, you can go in and change settings as to lights flashing/chirping/etc, or use the BC stalk on non-iDrive cars - best to read up in the manual about how to do it.

The dealer should be able to give you a list of ALL the installed options on your car by running the VIN - if they know anything about the cars they are selling, they shouldn't be 'surprised' by any features that come up when they are showing you the car. I have found that most times, the salesmen don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground though

Welcome to the forum
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

alarm

Ive been kind of wondering if my car has an alarm on it or not. I have a 2007 335i sedan. When I lock the doors I hear no sound whatsoever that would indicate that I have an alarm. I just hear the doors lock. I figured the car would definately have some kind of alarm, but could I be wrong? Is there a possiblility my car doesnt even have an alarm installed? what would be my best bet of finding out? Calling the dealer and giving them the vin on the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
umicheng
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI, MT

hmmm that's the thing. red nose thing flashes, yes. there is a panic mode activated when i hold the trunk button, yes. (panic mode doesn't come stock on bmw?)

but i cant get the alarm to go off when i try opening the door, tap on the glass lightly (what i've read), or if i have the windows open and i wave my hands inside (a vid i saw on youtube)....so that's why im not sure if it's activated? any other tests or thoughts?

thanks tho!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Bentrix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i e92

pop the hood (don't unlatch), get out of car, turn alarm on, go unlatch the hood. Alarm should sound.
      11-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Ive been kind of wondering if my car has an alarm on it or not. I have a 2007 335i sedan. When I lock the doors I hear no sound whatsoever that would indicate that I have an alarm. I just hear the doors lock. I figured the car would definately have some kind of alarm, but could I be wrong? Is there a possiblility my car doesnt even have an alarm installed? what would be my best bet of finding out? Calling the dealer and giving them the vin on the car?
The alarm is described on page 35 of the '07 3 series manual but it is optional so you may not have it. Basically, if the clown nose (red knob below the rear view mirror) does not flash after you lock the car, then you don't have the alarm.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

alarm should be standard on any BMW. just another retarded thing on the nickel and dime list of options. at least BMW was nice to give us rear window defroster standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
alarm should be standard on any BMW. just another retarded thing on the nickel and dime list of options. at least BMW was nice to give us rear window defroster standard.
As I neither need nor want the alarm I'm glad BMW doesn't include it and accordingly increase the MSRP by $400. Not ordering it has saved me $2,000 on my last 5 BMWs.

If you want the alarm, pay for it, but don't inflict it on the rest of us. And calling BMW retarded for not making their cars even pricier seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

after armed the alarm, close nose flashs then on the key FOD, press and hold the TRUNK button for a few second = our alarm will go crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
As I neither need nor want the alarm I'm glad BMW doesn't include it and accordingly increase the MSRP by $400. Not ordering it has saved me $2,000 on my last 5 BMWs.

If you want the alarm, pay for it, but don't inflict it on the rest of us. And calling BMW retarded for not making their cars even pricier seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Tom
maybe i should've been more clear in my post... i wasn't advocating that the OEM's include features and inflate the starting msrp. THAT is even more ridiculous. i meant that for the price of these cars, "smaller" features like this should already be absorbed into the current msrp. from a pure business standpoint, sure this reduces the profit margin, but imo the slight reduction (because it would/should be reduced in cost, not retail cost) would be easily offset by consumer satisfaction and loyalty. but whatever. i still buy these damn cars anyway lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
roberts5831
thats what she said...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

honesty i was really adamant about getting an alarm as well.. i got an '08. but after talking to the dealership they told me that dont even install them anymore on 3 series. its to difficult to steal these cars because of the lazor cut keys, you reall have nothing to worry about. so i had them install a low-jack instead. so if some lil bastard does steal my car, i can show up at his house and beat his lil ass! lol
Appreciate 0