E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > rho Tow Hook License Plate Mount Review

08-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
rho Tow Hook License Plate Mount Review

I recently got a new E90 Mtech kit and didn't want to ruin the front bumper with screw holes for my front license plate mount. I ordered the rho plate tow hook license plate mount that matched my bumper (http://www.rhoplate.com/). It arrived exactly 1 week later from the date of my order. The company is out of BC, Canada and the entire package was $78 with shipping ($10) and tax ($8).

Everything was packaged well and looked high quality. The main components were made from light weight aluminum that was CNC machined so they were surprisingly light. I liked how it didn't stick too far out, as that was a concern of mine. The install was about as easy as it gets unless you don't know how to use a screw driver/wrench

You get multiple mounting spots so you could position you're plate it many different configurations to suit your needs. You can see from the pics the position I chose that looked the best IMO. I didn't like how cantilevered it was and thought the single screw+lock washer+washer used to secure it to the mount wouldn't be strong enough, I was correct. I tightened it as hard I could without snapping the head of the provided screw, and yet I could still rotate the mount with moderate pressure. I don't think it will ever move in normal driving situations so I let it be, but I would have liked a beefier screw/bolt to hold in in place. If you mount from one of the middle mounting spots I bet it would be stronger as you have less leverage to rotate the plate.

They provided nice rubber stoppers (pic 4) to mount behind the plate to prevent it from scratching your bumper if someone pushes hard from the front, a nice touch. I liked that you had options on what angle you could mount the plate, which I chose to make as parallel to the front bumper surface as I could (thought it looked better). My second complaint is the provided screws to mount your license to the mounting plate are JUST long enough to mount the plate and nothing more. I have a tinted clear cover that was too thick to use with the provided screws and lock nuts (another nice touch). Maybe their reasoning is they don't want to risk having TOO long of screws that could potentially mark your bumper if something pushes hard against the front of your plate. I can't say for sure, but it does look feasible when you see pic 4.

In the end I am very pleased with the look of this mount. My two complaints about the provided screws and the secure-ness of the single mounting screw are over-shadowed by the overall quality, adjust-ability, overall look and ease of install. I have a small concern about the general lack of access to clean behind the plate when it gets dirty but that is expected if you want an alternative license plate mount.

See pictures for more details!

And yes I know my car is filthy
Attached Images

Last edited by Volasko; 08-02-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Rudeboy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

nice writeup, need one of these asap, no tickets yet but the cops already warned me that i need to put the front plates on!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
BMW1986
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 E92 ZCP JB/PS & BLK

The only issue I had with mine was it came loose twice and so make sure you tighten the bolt that holds the black plate as tight as possible! LOL

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1986 View Post
The only issue I had with mine was it came loose twice and so make sure you tighten the bolt that holds the black plate as tight as possible! LOL
I tightened it as hard as I felt safe doing. We will see how well it holds up!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
I tightened it as hard as I felt safe doing. We will see how well it holds up!
Go to your local parts store and pick up some blue Loc Tite. Apply to threads and your all set. With blue you can remove without any damage to threads or heat needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

looks better just 3m taped in the center IMO. at least you can have it follow the curvature of the bumper.

those tow hook mounts look goofy from the side
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
taichi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 & F25

Garage List
this looks good esp i like it how it doesnt stick out too far!
      08-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
i love my rho plate
      08-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post
i love my rho plate
+1...even though I only use it when I go on road trips, I find it really easy to take off and put back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, GT350, Tesla M3P

Reviving an old thread here. I am interested in this plate holder, but I noticed on their site they have 2 versions for the E90. One for the regular bumper and one for the M-Sport/MTEC bumper
http://www.rhoplate.com/Products-BMW-E90.html

Is there any difference between the two? I have a regular bumper now but plan on getting the MTEC bumper in the future. I cant imagine them being different, but if its listed on the site as 2 different ones it might be..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
davidkotok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZauL View Post
Reviving an old thread here. I am interested in this plate holder, but I noticed on their site they have 2 versions for the E90. One for the regular bumper and one for the M-Sport/MTEC bumper
http://www.rhoplate.com/Products-BMW-E90.html

Is there any difference between the two? I have a regular bumper now but plan on getting the MTEC bumper in the future. I cant imagine them being different, but if its listed on the site as 2 different ones it might be..
thats an interesting question cause im fairly certain regardless of the bumper cover that the hook screws into the "frame" or front mount and the wholes should be at the same place for any and all of the bumpers as long as you got an OEM fitment bumper (which would include an M-Tech)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, GT350, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkotok View Post
thats an interesting question cause im fairly certain regardless of the bumper cover that the hook screws into the "frame" or front mount and the wholes should be at the same place for any and all of the bumpers as long as you got an OEM fitment bumper (which would include an M-Tech)
I actually ended up emailing them and this is what I got back.

Quote:
The difference between the Rho-plate kits for regular bumper and MTech bumper are only 6mm longer on the mounting shaft for the MTech kit. In your case, we would suggest you to order the kit for MTech bumper. Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Calvin Yeung
www.rhoplate.com
Figured this will help a few folks out that plan on upgrading their bumper in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
undisclothesed
Private
Rep
Drives:

Can anyone compare the Rho to the **********s towhook plate holder?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
OfficialBOLO
Captain
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i X-Drive MSport

Garage List
hey, you mentioned there is no room for your tinted plate cover but would there be enough room for a plate frame? I really like mine haha and would want to be able to put it on a tow hook thingy. LMK

1995 Toyota Supra Single Turbo (for sale)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Jean Paul Irastorza
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i white

Here in Florida we don't need front license plates, wer all about keeping the cars looking clean, just thought I might share
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

have one of these and it was worth every penny. PS 500 POSTS BOOYAH!