E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leather question

05-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
lightning20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i sedan

Leather question

my leather seats are ok but i was in a acura tl recently and the leather was so soft wanted to know what products can i use to make my leather soft? Anything that i can pick up at a auto zone or car store maybe like lexol? just want to make my seats softer then what they are right now to me they are kinda hard for being leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

probably not leather.... or not thick leather. personally i like the stiffness of the leather in BMW's but if you dont leatherique offers some products that recondition the leather and will make it somewhat softer and actually even out those stretched areas where ur butt sits lol. (keep in mind they will come back, both stiffness and stretched areas...these are naturally occurring stages in leather)
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

There's two types of soft. The leather itself and the cushions under it. Was it soft to the touch or do you mean the seats felt soft? Conditioning your leather isn't going to change the firmness of the seats. I for one like the firmness of bmw seats.

If you just want to condition you leather leather masters and leatherique seem to be the two top choices, just don't expect to feel a difference sitting down.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

You have Dakota Leather or Leatherette?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Automotive finished leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning.

Always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process.

Using a water-based (as opposed to an oil-based) product will ensure a matte OEM like finish.

Dirt and oils will shine the urethane on finished leather, so the first thing to do is ensure they are removed by using a water-based cleaner (Leather Master or LTT)

Once its clean an older finish sometimes needs something to restore the elasitity of the urethane, Leather Master™ Soft Touch (ex Vital) - (Not for use with N-Nubuck / Alcantara This is NOT a conditioner per se but is used to improve and maintain the tactile feel and lustre by rehydration and to ensure the leather remains soft and supple. This product is often used to solve the complaint that the leather doesn't feel as soft as the floor model and similar comments.

A leather protection product will help keep dirt and oils from the surface and also make it easier to maintain Leather Master™ Protection Cream – (Not for use with N-Nubuck / Alcantara®) an aqueous (water- based) protector that places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather. Our system is for you to protect your Leather first, and then follow a routine of cleaning and re-protection. This way you are not actually cleaning the Leather's original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection.

Why use a water-based care product?
Automotive leather upholstery is a multi-strata urethane coating that is classed as finished leather; comprising the actual hide, pigmentation and the surface finish. An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, and then two or three aqueous (water- based) coatings (pigmented base coat and then a clear aqueous top coat) are applied as the final stage of the finishing process.

The urethane used for finished leather is classified as a semi-solid, micro structured membrane, therefore it is not sealed per se, being a polymer (elastomers) it remains flexible while retaining its tensile strength, to enable it to expand and contract to follow temperature fluctuations (elongation) of the substrate. It also has micro-pores that allow evaporation and hydration (the passage of water vapour through a membrane or pore) they are not sealed per se. Oils are not compatible with water-based pigmented urethane coatings

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset. If this article was informative and you learned something new, or have any questions feel free to comment. We would love if you shared this article with your friends on Twitter or linked to it from your website.
Thanks

Also see TOGWT® Blog for constantly updated detailing information http: //TOGWT® 1980.blogspot.com

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-24-2011 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 0