BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Steering wheel spacer

05-15-2022, 04:31 AM   #1
tarkus
Rep
Drives: VW Scirocco

Steering wheel spacer

Any tall drivers installed a steering wheel spacer?

eg:
https://www.spacershop.com/en/produc...-and-2-series/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293914911038

I'm wondering if it changes the steering feel at all (I realise the indicator stalks will be further away).

I'm 191cm (6`3) and can't quite get into the driving position I want (where I can put my wrists on top of the wheel without lifting my shoulders from the seat). To do this I have to be upright to the point where my head is touching the roof). Going to change the OEM to the CS steering wheel, and thought might as well try improve the driving position if possible.

FWIW tried sitting in the current M3 and M4 on a recent driving day and didn't have any problems in those, seems to sit lower and probably have a higher roof
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #2
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3

So I'm 6'5'' and I don't have one on my M2, but I did have something very similar on my old Subaru BRZ. Same exact concept as the one's you linked. It worked great and on that car didn't change the steering feel in any noticeable way in my opinion. It did however make the car way more comfortable to drive, more knee space, wheel closer etc. The only thing to consider is if any wiring needs to be adjusted for the extra length? The BRZ was close but the stock wiring worked except for the horn had to be extended.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #3
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackday_chuck View Post
So I'm 6'5'' and I don't have one on my M2, but I did have something very similar on my old Subaru BRZ. Same exact concept as the one's you linked. It worked great and on that car didn't change the steering feel in any noticeable way in my opinion. It did however make the car way more comfortable to drive, more knee space, wheel closer etc. The only thing to consider is if any wiring needs to be adjusted for the extra length? The BRZ was close but the stock wiring worked except for the horn had to be extended.
Since only tall guys seem to be allowed to comment in this thread, I'm 6'3 and that contraption looks like a shortcut to the man in the sky.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 1
Davil6485.50
      05-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #4
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Just on the off chance as some folk don't realise it, the wheel does go fore and aft as well as up and down. A lot of cars don't do this, so you may have missed it.

I'm 1cm shorter than you and have no problems at all.

It may also be worth doing an advanced driving course as the problem could be how you have your seat set up and they'll help you with this.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 05:40 AM   #5
tarkus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
It may also be worth doing an advanced driving course as the problem could be how you have your seat set up and they'll help you with this.
Did the BMW course a week ago, they recommend the same driving position as I described. It might be that I just have a long torso than others of the same height.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 05:41 AM   #6
tarkus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackday_chuck View Post
Thanks for the insight! Got a reply from spacershop that they provide an extension wiring harness. Pretty close to pulling the trigger..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

So if you pull the wheel right the way out towards you it's still not close enough??

Are you sitting in the back seat by mistake? 🤣
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
thenwood
Rep
Drives: M2c

Ive ordered from Spacershop in the past for my s2000, they are very high quality pieces.

Didnt think to look if they did one for the M2c. I would like the have my manual seats tilted all the way back, but its very very slightly too far back for me, my arms feel slightly stretched. We are talking a tiny amount but i cant ignore it so i go one 'tilt' forward, first world problems...

It is a bit annoying with the indicator stalks, but it made my s2k fit my lanky frame like a glove and i loved it. Im considering one for the M2c now too.

FYI the two links are the same people, my previous one had dailydrivermotorsport tape on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 06:15 AM   #9
tarkus
Rep

I've now had it installed for a week, and it's definitely worth doing.

It's significantly improved comfort and I have improved control of the car. To anyone in my position, I definitely think it's worth a try considering relatively low cost and ease of install.

Note the OEM steering wheel nut bolt is 16mm, while the supplied bolt is 22mm.

Last edited by tarkus; 06-26-2022 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 2