BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Can someone explain the MPE BT remote operation to me?

03-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #1
berserkr
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
1997 BMW M3 sedan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Can someone explain the MPE BT remote operation to me?

New-to-me OG M2 with the M Performance Exhaust. I cannot seem to get the exhaust to activate track mode. I put a fresh battery in the bluetooth remote, the switch in the trunk is on, and I'm in Sport mode, but double clicking does nothing, single long press usually does nothing but occasionally will get me a solid red light (see 20sec mark) and occasionally a multi-blink (see 53sec mark), but nothing happens. What do these light patterns mean and what am I doing wrong?

Edit: resolved. I needed to pair the BT transmitter with the module in the trunk. Working ok for now.

Edit2: back to square one.

Last edited by berserkr; 03-19-2022 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Nice to see another Seattle M2 owner. Just remember that the M Performance Exhaust in track mode is too loud for street use. So if you are near an kind officer close the valve. We don’t want you getting a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 12:28 AM   #3
Vog
Tireless in Seattle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Hello Fello new OG M2 Seattle owner!

Seems like there are a few of us on here now.

Picked up mine in at end of 2021. l'm messing around with the M-Performance exhaust right now. Exhaust has a very loud vibration on cold start (enough to generate a noise complaint) and a bit of drone at certain RPMs. Dealership said they would need to replace the whole thing since it's the version that doesn't use the clips. we'll see what tinkering figures out this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
berserkr
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Nice!

I'm continuing to have issues with the MPE. The bluetooth controller stopped working again, I'll have to try to re-pair it but it's super frustrating. It's such a stupid design, I know it has to be that way because it was a port-installed option but jeez.

Also mine rattles horribly on startup. I'm going to take a look at it next week. From researching online, it could be due to the midpipe connection, bad bow fixer springs on the valve, or just a "resonance" from the dual layered tips vibrating.

I'm tempted to just lock the valves open permanently but I like it quiet for a highway cruise. Plus that wouldn't stop the rattle. Debating selling the exhaust lol.

Edit: I don't seem to get any difference in sound between comfort/sport/sport+, the only change is when I can get the MPE to open. Is that everyone else's experience with the MPE?

Last edited by berserkr; 03-19-2022 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #5
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkr View Post
Nice!

I'm continuing to have issues with the MPE. The bluetooth controller stopped working again, I'll have to try to re-pair it but it's super frustrating. It's such a stupid design, I know it has to be that way because it was a port-installed option but jeez.

Also mine rattles horribly on startup. I'm going to take a look at it next week. From researching online, it could be due to the midpipe connection, bad bow fixer springs on the valve, or just a "resonance" from the dual layered tips vibrating.

I'm tempted to just lock the valves open permanently but I like it quiet for a highway cruise. Plus that wouldn't stop the rattle. Debating selling the exhaust lol.

Edit: I don't seem to get any difference in sound between comfort/sport/sport+, the only change is when I can get the MPE to open. Is that everyone else's experience with the MPE?
The burbles are different across comfort, sport and sport+ with the valves opened or closed. Else in my experience the exhaust note is the same across the modes.

I would recommend removing the ASD especially with the m performance exhaust installed - which you get to hear the real sound of the exhaust (which does make things more quieter in the cabin) and not the synthetic exhaust note from the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
berserkr
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
The burbles are different across comfort, sport and sport+ with the valves opened or closed. Else in my experience the exhaust note is the same across the modes.

I would recommend removing the ASD especially with the m performance exhaust installed - which you get to hear the real sound of the exhaust (which does make things more quieter in the cabin) and not the synthetic exhaust note from the speakers.
Indeed, I have already removed ASD

So are there 2 sets of valves with the MPE, one for the mode (C/S/S+) and one for the BT controller?

Now if I can just get this BT remote to work properly...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 10:46 PM   #7
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post

Indeed, I have already removed ASD

So are there 2 sets of valves with the MPE, one for the mode (C/S/S+) and one for the BT controller?

Now if I can just get this BT remote to work properly...
Well done - ASD not needed

No two sets of valves with the MPE, just the one which is controlled by the BT controller. The ecu changes the burble settings on C/S/S+.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #8
berserkr
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Well I continue to be stymied by this system. I have spent many hours searching forum archives to try to figure this out.

I have the newer 17v module so no issue there. I found that the fuse for the BT module was not fully seated so I fixed that and crossed my fingers. The BT module powers up fine. I put a fresh battery in the remote and tried pairing with the module several different ways, including using the reset button on the module (the module LED fishes rapidly 5 times, then off briefly, then steady on) with no luck. The remote will blink red occasionally but there is no rhyme or reason to it, and the valves will not open. Engine running, car in sport or sport+.

This is supremely frustrating. Anyone have any advice? I suppose I could try a replacement BT remote but I don't really want to just start throwing money at it. If I can't get it to work I will see if the CG Precision controller could be used as a substitute, and failing that, will look for a stock exhaust to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Well I continue to be stymied by this system. I have spent many hours searching forum archives to try to figure this out.

I have the newer 17v module so no issue there. I found that the fuse for the BT module was not fully seated so I fixed that and crossed my fingers. The BT module powers up fine. I put a fresh battery in the remote and tried pairing with the module several different ways, including using the reset button on the module (the module LED fishes rapidly 5 times, then off briefly, then steady on) with no luck. The remote will blink red occasionally but there is no rhyme or reason to it, and the valves will not open. Engine running, car in sport or sport+.

This is supremely frustrating. Anyone have any advice? I suppose I could try a replacement BT remote but I don't really want to just start throwing money at it. If I can't get it to work I will see if the CG Precision controller could be used as a substitute, and failing that, will look for a stock exhaust to replace it.
I would go the BMW Seattle and have their Genius solve the problem for you. There is no charge for seeking advise from a Genius.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 08:02 PM   #10
berserkr
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
So I took Dan G's advice and contacted BMW Genius services via email. It took a bit of prodding (they kept telling me to bring it in to the dealer lol) but they eventually coughed up the pairing instructions.

Followed the new instructions, and voila, it worked. Time will tell if the remote stays connected. Even in the 5 minutes of playing with it, it did not respond 100% of the time.

I'm attaching the pairing instructions here because they are different from what I have previously seen online. The say Mini but Genius says they are the same for BMW (which I can confirm)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf latest 2019_MINI pairing procedure.pdf (700.5 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by berserkr; 03-31-2022 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #11
Mped
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2 6MT

I have found a solution to the finicky Bluetooth controller that can work like the CG Precision or can be wired into the cabin to use a toggle switch or a fancy billet button.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=64

Mark
Appreciate 0