BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Is the m2 worth buying at its current market value

12-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #67
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
wont' be memorable in 20 years... so what will be memorable lol?
Something different. A lighter car with good steering for example. Not electric steering in a turbocharged 2 series. There are a number of cars that will be memorable and they don't have to be extremely expensive but offering a genuinely connected driving experience will definitely help.
Please name a few of these "lighter" more memorable cars currently in existance up to the M2 price point.
      12-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #68
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Please name a few of these "lighter" more memorable cars currently in existance up to the M2 price point.
Memorable is subjective. Lighter is factual, a pound is an understood measurement.

I find the 128i I had to be more memorable than the M2. A 2002 NB Miata I had was also way more memorable than a 2 series of any kind could ever be. I like my M2 but it isn't heroic nor does it stand out in any particular way. It's good for getting groceries and decent as a backup car for track days but I won't ever miss it.

Your dream girl may be my hit it and quit it
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #69
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
Memorable is subjective. Lighter is factual, a pound is an understood measurement.

I find the 128i I had to be more memorable than the M2. A 2002 NB Miata I had was also way more memorable than a 2 series of any kind could ever be. I like my M2 but it isn't heroic nor does it stand out in any particular way. It's good for getting groceries and decent as a backup car for track days but I won't ever miss it.

Your dream girl may be my hit it and quit it :thumsup:
Did you literally just prove my point?

Also, as far as your choices... luckily for you the Miata has 0 daily driven qualities for most people, is an unsafe street car due to its weight and was produced in absolute masses over numerous generations... so its value isnt going to go anywhere.

A 128i... there is nothing special about that... i had a 135i and can attest to that immediately. Nothing would make me want that car back.
      12-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #70
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
I know people love the LCI for some reason, but I have one and really don't see it worth any premium over the older version. I honestly prefer the old gauges, these new ones are just hidden behind black plastic and give me Lexus vibes. I think the pre-LCI are amber, which is "more BMW". And better for your night vision (why the color was chosen in the first place).
Agreed.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #71
Kef9
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Manual, F80 M3C Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWYER View Post
Agreed.
100%. I prefer everything on the pre lci including the dash layout (not lopsided with a carbon panel to nowhere, no fake plastic stitching), classic dials (in future when everyone has lcd this will be a killer feature) which don’t scratch, the rear light clusters and the classic daytime running light roundrels.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #72
Shipley13
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I have both an OG and comp M2 (as well as several E9x M3's). If you are not planning on modding the car much the comp M2 would be my preference over the OG. They can be had for close to 50 with patience. The OG is great with a bit of help over what the factory gets you. But if you track you still have the heat issues to deal with (unless you want to go way down the rabbit hole) and they still start to fall on their face as they rev out. The comp just does everything a bit better except sound. Off track to me it's a toss up - there are pros & cons to both.

That being said - as much as I love the F87's my preference is still with the E9x M3's. They need a little help from the factory but once they get it they are very hard to beat in fun factor.
Man where can I find a comp M2 close to 50?? Been looking for 2 weeks or so and best recent deal was 59k on cars and bids
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #73
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
The resale value of the F87 will most likely go down in value just like majority of the M cars have and then eventually after a decade or so, it will start to go up in price and become a collector's car, just like any of the old M cars—Bring A Trailer proves this much. The north american E36 M3 is starting to steadily go up in value even though for several years, the enthusiast community has laughed at it.

If you look at the trend, cars that fetch a nice bidding war at BaT tend to be those low mileage ones. 50K miles is probably the mid-point for the M2 (at this time).

So pick your audience, do you fall under the niche audience like BaT? Or are you a seller/buyer for the general car enthusiast community?
      12-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #74
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
In my opinion, I think it is totally worth it. I got my 2017 BMW M2 last March, (upgraded from a 2018 Audi S3) and the driving experience is night and day. the car is an absolute blast and is very well balanced. it's definitely not the the fastest car in a straight line, but it sure knows how to bring a smile to your face. the car feels so raw and alive, I absolutely love it. I been in the process of building my M2 and completed my performance with a big turbo kit on it. now I been working on exterior and interior modifications. I just added new wheels, tires, carbon fiber diffuser, and switching to a new carbon fiber diffuser. I absolutely love the way the car looks and only getting started ! there honestly aren't many cars that can beat what the M2 offers for its price point ! what I love the most is that the car has so many after market parts that can be done to it, allowing you to make a truly special and fun build. as well, the car should hold it's value pretty well in my opinion. if you come across a good deal, test drive it. do not be hesitant !
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Foggins1331.50
///M TOWN16077.00
H2O_Doc511.50
RideM317.00
qnet681.50
      12-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #75
chefczyk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa 4C, Z3MC, S3 Fulvia

You can get an slightly-used M2C for around new-MSRP. So figure you give up 6-12 months of warranty and 6-8k miles. Not too bad I suppose.

A lot of people bought their cars new, so we were willing to pay 65-70k after taxes to drive the entry-level M2C. Figure other choices in the market (MB, Alfa, etc.) have similar experiences in the current used car market....you're back at square one in regards to the selection process.

The prices of the used cars may or may not go down so dramatically. Remember that 2022 models are now getting +5-8% increases in MSRP...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 04:49 PM   #76
advanced101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

After a couple M3s (and X3, X5), just bought my M2C for 63k (original MSRP was around 72k). 8k miles, loaded, DCT, 763m bronze wheels, full front half PPF, tint, etc. I tried like hell to get them to go lower but it was 3k off list, plus they did well on my trade.

I can't think of anything else I would rather drive for 60k. I need a usable back seat for now. Ill have some fun with it, then mod it a little. Need that backseat for around 5 more years then we are off to a 911.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #77
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101 View Post
After a couple M3s (and X3, X5), just bought my M2C for 63k (original MSRP was around 72k). 8k miles, loaded, DCT, 763m bronze wheels, full front half PPF, tint, etc. I tried like hell to get them to go lower but it was 3k off list, plus they did well on my trade.

I can't think of anything else I would rather drive for 60k. I need a usable back seat for now. Ill have some fun with it, then mod it a little. Need that backseat for around 5 more years then we are off to a 911.
Sounds like a pretty good deal! Congrats.

My opinion on the M2, having only driven the Comp and now the CS, is that it's a fantastic chassis. Both much better than my F80 was and reminds me very much of my old E46 M3. I'm guessing the OG is even more similar to the E46 M3 being closer in power. Still, the OG is no slouch and that engine can handle a lot more power, but it doesn't really need it on the street.

E9x are the only M3s I haven't driven so can't compare to those.

If you want a fun car and occasionally need 4 seats, like a manual option, it's very tough to pick a better car than the M2 in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 11:36 PM   #78
memetm2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MT

I just purchased 2018 M2 last month thinking about the market value subject.

The market is at it's peak now but I think when new M2 starts to be sold, the MSRP will be high due to inflation.

MSRP for 2018 M2 was $54,500.
MSRP for 2022 M2 will be at least $60,000

So paying $45-50k for used one should be fine. I don't think that price would drop in a big amount if market becomes normal again.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #79
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kef9 View Post
100%. I prefer everything on the pre lci including the dash layout (not lopsided with a carbon panel to nowhere, no fake plastic stitching), classic dials (in future when everyone has lcd this will be a killer feature) which don’t scratch, the rear light clusters and the classic daytime running light roundrels.
There's no "fake plastic stitching" on the dash on the LCI/M2c. It's real stitching. Surprised the sh1t out of me, but real it is.
      01-17-2022, 12:23 PM   #80
Kef9
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Manual, F80 M3C Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
There's no "fake plastic stitching" on the dash on the LCI/M2c. It's real stitching. Surprised the sh1t out of me, but real it is.
It’s dumb. Why would anybody think stitching plastic was a good idea. If it was leather yes I could understand 🤷
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #81
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kef9 View Post
It’s dumb. Why would anybody think stitching plastic was a good idea. If it was leather yes I could understand 🤷
They put a faux leather pattern in half of it, so why not stitch the rest, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:31 PM   #82
yk7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLe90 View Post
Hey guys just sold my e90 m3, thinking of trying an og m2, the comp is a little outside my budget. I saw most going for around 40-50k, is it worth the buy or should I hold off until prices dip down a bit ? If they do
Its definitely worth it! I just copped mine last week. $72.5msrp window sticker, and was able to get it at $64k from a private sale. 4127 miles only. That would have been a prepandemic price for this car. There is always one good deal out there, just keep eyeing the market! And stay away from dealers!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #83
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
The north american E36 M3 is starting to steadily go up in value even though for several years, the enthusiast community has laughed at it.
Man, maybe my enthusiast corner of the world is quite different from yours... but e36 and e36 M3 have been the BMW track rat's defacto weapon of choice for probably 20 years. It's been a love-fest from my perspective. Sure the Euro motor was better, but damn these things take a beating, are fun as hell, easy work on and are reliable (for a BMW). They sound brilliant and are the perfect size too.

It kind of sucks now that everyone else is finally realizing this and prices have been going up.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #84
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yk7 View Post
Its definitely worth it! I just copped mine last week. $72.5msrp window sticker, and was able to get it at $64k from a private sale. 4127 miles only. That would have been a prepandemic price for this car. There is always one good deal out there, just keep eyeing the market! And stay away from dealers!
Damn, $72k msrp on an OG M2? They only had like 2 options to begin with. Is it loaded with $10k of M perf parts or something?

FWIW my pandemic data point is a 2018 M2 picked up in January 2021. 3 Pedals, exec package (useless), boring blk/blk, so typical spec but with only 7k miles. Paid $44.5k, dealership had it listed at $47k. Felt my price was still a bit on the high side back then, but it was a convenient location vs the PITA of shipping
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:55 PM   #85
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Holy moly, you're not wrong. I had to go look closely just now. It's real. I've spend the last year thinking it was fake and wondering why they even bothered to fake that.

Now I'm wondering why they went through the trouble to stitch it and not match the seats etc in blue. Then again it took me a good 6 months to realize there was color stitching on the wheel, so maybe there is just something wrong with me in general
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:31 PM   #86
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yk7 View Post
Damn, $72k msrp on an OG M2? They only had like 2 options to begin with. Is it loaded with $10k of M perf parts or something?

FWIW my pandemic data point is a 2018 M2 picked up in January 2021. 3 Pedals, exec package (useless), boring blk/blk, so typical spec but with only 7k miles. Paid $44.5k, dealership had it listed at $47k. Felt my price was still a bit on the high side back then, but it was a convenient location vs the PITA of shipping
I passed on a performance edition a couple years ago, 7k miles for $44k.

The market is out of control. This og just sold on BaT, for $62,500 plus fees. That's more than I paid for my new M2C including taxes/fees!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ign=2022-01-18
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #87
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
I passed on a performance edition a couple years ago, 7k miles for $44k.

The market is out of control. This og just sold on BaT, for $62,500 plus fees. That's more than I paid for my new M2C including taxes/fees!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ign=2022-01-18
Yeah I passed on a performance edition as well around the same price, maybe lower. Those are slow to sell for some reason. I recall the old e36 M3 lightweights sold slow AF too. A dealer in Houston had a new one sitting unsold for a couple years iirc. You're way better off in that M2C! God I wish I had ponied up for that engine. Mine sucks above 5.5k rpm.

For me the reason to pass on the performance edition is really simple: all those parts bump it out of SCCA B-street. And being in that class where the M2 can be nationally competitive is the only reason I bought the car in the first place. I didn't mind paying a little more last January because I had sold my prior car and wanted to get some seat time before the 2021 season got going. Seemed silly to waste a few months of the season waiting to save a few grand. I had no idea prices would just keep going up and up...

Normally I would fully expect the general trend in OG M2 prices to settle down fast as soon as the chip shortage sorts itself out and there are new options readily available. But then I saw the new M2. Now I'm thinking f87 depreciation is going to be quite slow
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #88
meeeeks
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 PB X3 M40i // '18 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkalhan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
If you are indifferent on the color and both are optioned as you like I would go with the OG 2018!

I have owned both, and love my comp… but the price difference, similar experience, lower mileage, being local, I jump would jump LCI OG between the two. Cant go wrong, really
wow, thanks for the insight. yeah, I was leaning to the 2018 also. my color preference would be white but in the used car market, they are hard to find. I do like the miles and price of the 2018.

I do have another question, not M2 related, but color related. what color wheels do you guys think would look good on a black car? not really a fan of the wheels on the OG so would eventually like to replaces them. was thinking something in silver but not sure. also, do you guys daily drive your M2s?
I think gold (specifically the frost gold 763m) wheels look very nice on a black car
Appreciate 0