BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Phillip Island track day in M2 CS

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
Piets94
Lieutenant
Piets94's Avatar
516
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Phillip Island track day in M2 CS

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I finally got to stretch the car's legs on a dry track day. My first attempt was rained out, then Covid in Melbourne put a stop to all community sport for a few months. But, yesterday was an awesome day, dry and mild temps.

It was challenging to put together a clean lap, with traffic and driver consistency the contributing factors here (my lap timer had an ideal lap time some 3 seconds quicker than my actual best time of the day).

Best time was a 1.48.0, top speed down the main straight around 240kmph. For reference, my previous M2 Comp (also DCT, big brakes) was exactly 2.5 seconds slower on the same track, but with the same top speed down the straight. The CS subjectively felt more confident through the corners, as reflected in the lap time. Both cars were completely stock.

Loved the car, hated the clean up afterwards of all the sticky rubber... But I wouldn't want it any other way.

VIDEO:






Name:  20211121_115541_03.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  282.8 KB

Name:  A27I7481.jpg
Views: 2469
Size:  249.5 KB

Name:  A27I6008.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  261.6 KB

Last edited by Piets94; 11-22-2021 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 19
OzWoz72.50
Davil4471.50
Jimjamz2839.50
Hedoniste2694.00
toned35.00
Cadillac272.00
Superdaws111.00
///M TOWN5422.00
MPoweRo412.50
RideM198.50
COChris792.50
prompt225.00
      11-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
Got f1?'s Avatar
United_States
536
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, Ď13 X1 35i, M2 CS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Awesome and very smooth! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #3
toned
New Member
toned's Avatar
35
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 21 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

real nice

that fly was losing it's mind in there
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Golden3ye's Avatar
366
Rep
473
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

How do you clean up the sticky rubber afterwards
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:16 AM   #5
Jimjamz
Lieutenant Colonel
Jimjamz's Avatar
Australia
2840
Rep
1,565
Posts

Drives: F87 CS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Beautiful. You made it looked effortless.

I've had some great drives on Philip Island. Love finishing the home stretch and seeing how much pace you can exit with while avoid running off as you crest the hill and sight the ocean. My record is hitting 247kmh on the strait in a pre-LCI f80. Don't know if I'd ever want to push that again. I still get sweaty palms thinking about that day.
__________________
Garage -
F87 M2 CS - Hockenheim Silver
G02 X4 M40i - Carbon Black

Retired -
F80 M3 - Mineral Grey; F22 M235i - Sapphire Black; E92 335i coupe - Midnight Blue; E60 M5 - Silverstone II Metallic; E46 330i sedan - Titanium Silver Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #6
MadBimmeRad
Colonel
MadBimmeRad's Avatar
Australia
2762
Rep
2,137
Posts

Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Your driving is bloody spot on, aaaaaand you toasted a P-car in the process

__________________
M2CS,
The second coming of ///M!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
1984
Rep
1,849
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C HS
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Can't go wrong with the Bridgestone RE71RS, how do you find the grip consistency after a few laps?
__________________
2020 M2 Competition | Hockenheim Silver | 437M Wheels / 763M Wheels | RHD | 2NH Brakes
M2 CS Steering Wheel | MP Carbon Steering Wheel Trim | MP Pedals | MP Dash | MP Interior Kit
M Performance Coilovers | MP Rear Spoiler | MP Rear Diffuser| Perl Carbon Front Lip | Remus Race Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
sdhotwn's Avatar
United_States
1716
Rep
1,421
Posts

Drives: F30 335i, F25 X3, E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wisconsin, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
How do you clean up the sticky rubber afterwards
Wd40 works wonderfully.
__________________
2014 EBII MSport 335i -Delivered 7/12/14
1998 Hellrot M3/4/5
2011 X3
M2 CS - Delivered 12/18/20
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #9
Piets94
Lieutenant
Piets94's Avatar
516
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Awesome and very smooth! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers. Glad you enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toned View Post
real nice

that fly was losing it's mind in there
Haha, I can't unsee that now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
How do you clean up the sticky rubber afterwards
The paint is ceramic coated, so it washed off with slightly firmer pressure from the wash mitt. Most of the rubber though was on the PPF covered areas (front bar, side rockers). That didn't wash off at all, but came away reasonably easily with car polish. I used Meguires NXT. Might try WD40 too as someone mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Beautiful. You made it looked effortless.

I've had some great drives on Philip Island. Love finishing the home stretch and seeing how much pace you can exit with while avoid running off as you crest the hill and sight the ocean. My record is hitting 247kmh on the strait in a pre-LCI f80. Don't know if I'd ever want to push that again. I still get sweaty palms thinking about that day.
Thank you. It's my favourite track. The final turn onto the straight and the first turn after the straight are the toughest to get right. But if you do you set yourself up for a great lap time. Looking back on my footage for the day, I definitely wasn't carrying enough speed into either curve, and I think I attacked harder in the M2C. But, it has been nearly 12 months since I last drove here.

I'll be back on this track in 3 weeks, but with BMW Advance 2 Driver Training, in the G80/G82. Should be a very interesting comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Your driving is bloody spot on, aaaaaand you toasted a P-car in the process

Thanks MBR. Actually, that Porsche toasted itself. The driver unfortunately ran a touch wide coming onto the main straight and dipped a wheel off the track. Speared back over the tarmac and into the wall, then caught fire. Driver's ok (at least until he tells his wife), but the car was a wreck. Was sobering for us recreational enthusiasts to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Can't go wrong with the Bridgestone RE71RS, how do you find the grip consistency after a few laps?
Yeah, these were quite good and very consistent. With the PSS, I got that 1.50.5 once and early on, then couldn't get close. Got within 2 seconds at best, but on the ragged edge. The 71RS kept hitting that 1.48, 1.49 all day without much fuss if I got a cleanish run with traffic. That could be more the set-up of the CS over the Comp, but there is definitely more speed there to unlock.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
stevestevesteve
Private
159
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2CS
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

RE71R's are a better auto-x tire than track tire, especially in hot weather.

I can get ~10-12 minutes on them on a day in the 80s before they overheat.

However at autocross they come up to temperature very quickly and are great.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
MadBimmeRad
Colonel
MadBimmeRad's Avatar
Australia
2762
Rep
2,137
Posts

Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Your driving is bloody spot on, aaaaaand you toasted a P-car in the process

Thanks MBR. Actually, that Porsche toasted itself. The driver unfortunately ran a touch wide coming onto the main straight and dipped a wheel off the track. Speared back over the tarmac and into the wall, then caught fire. Driver's ok (at least until he tells his wife), but the car was a wreck. Was sobering for us recreational enthusiasts to say the least.
Wow, I feel bad now having used the word "toast" without knowing the full scope of events

so sorry, but it's actually funny (obviously, I wouldn't say that if the driver wasn't ok)

Now, I surely expect to be struck by lightning


well done you, even more so now mate
__________________
M2CS,
The second coming of ///M!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:21 PM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
CarJunkie's Avatar
United_States
2247
Rep
2,658
Posts

Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I clean track rubber marks off my uncoated 1M with Mother's Cleaner Wax (included with their clay bar kit) and it comes off pretty effortlessly while leaving fresh wax behind. I am hoping the ceramic coat over my PPF will help with the CS when it finally hits the track.

Wouldn't WD40 strip off the ceramic coat?
__________________
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #13
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
sdhotwn's Avatar
United_States
1716
Rep
1,421
Posts

Drives: F30 335i, F25 X3, E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wisconsin, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I clean track rubber marks off my uncoated 1M with Mother's Cleaner Wax (included with their clay bar kit) and it comes off pretty effortlessly while leaving fresh wax behind. I am hoping the ceramic coat over my PPF will help with the CS when it finally hits the track.

Wouldn't WD40 strip off the ceramic coat?
Ceramic is supposed to be chemical resistance once cured, so it shouldn't. I have not noticed any issues on my PPF or ceramic areas where I had to use it. I tried to avoid it initially but the marring was worse from trying to polish or lift it other ways. WD-40 disolves it so you don't even have to scrub. Most "bug and tar" removers are similar - a petroleum distillate of some sort that just eats the tar/rubber.
__________________
2014 EBII MSport 335i -Delivered 7/12/14
1998 Hellrot M3/4/5
2011 X3
M2 CS - Delivered 12/18/20
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2247.00
      11-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #14
ptgltw
Major
ptgltw's Avatar
2978
Rep
1,321
Posts

Drives: BMW M's
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I use Cyclo Bug and Tar remover. Recommended by Bimmerworld and boy does it work.

Get the extra creamy formula
__________________
2020 M2 CS
2020 M2 CS Racing Cup Car

Appreciate 1
sdhotwn1716.00
      11-23-2021, 11:00 PM   #15
jbse39
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 97 M3, M2 CS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (0)

Mothers R3 works great, just spray and let it sit for 30 seconds and wipe off.
Appreciate 1
sdhotwn1716.00
      11-24-2021, 06:14 AM   #16
RednekM2
Private First Class
RednekM2's Avatar
Australia
122
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: M2CS, Yaris Rallye
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Nice mate! Bring it to Winton next!!
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #17
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Ilikemike's Avatar
Canada
154
Rep
486
Posts

Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Port Moody B.C

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
How do you clean up the sticky rubber afterwards
Wd40 works wonderfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
How do you clean up the sticky rubber afterwards
Wd40 works wonderfully.
I've also heard that a good trick is to put on the same plastic wrap used for food storage, eg Saran Wrap, over the areas that are going to get affected by rubber bits. It's easy to apply, sticks to the paint and comes off easily, just peel it off when you're done…
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1269.50
      11-25-2021, 11:21 PM   #18
Piets94
Lieutenant
Piets94's Avatar
516
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RednekM2 View Post
Nice mate! Bring it to Winton next!!
I had my old E36 there 3 weeks ago. First time out after lockdown. That was a hot day. But I'll be in the CS next time, so see you there!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
Davil4471.50
W///6211.00
cdavis93121.00
      12-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #19
Teutonic
Lieutenant Colonel
Teutonic's Avatar
No_Country
1815
Rep
1,962
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
I finally got to stretch the car's legs on a dry track day. My first attempt was rained out, then Covid in Melbourne put a stop to all community sport for a few months. But, yesterday was an awesome day, dry and mild temps.

It was challenging to put together a clean lap, with traffic and driver consistency the contributing factors here (my lap timer had an ideal lap time some 3 seconds quicker than my actual best time of the day).

Best time was a 1.48.0, top speed down the main straight around 240kmph. For reference, my previous M2 Comp (also DCT, big brakes) was exactly 2.5 seconds slower on the same track, but with the same top speed down the straight. The CS subjectively felt more confident through the corners, as reflected in the lap time. Both cars were completely stock.

Loved the car, hated the clean up afterwards of all the sticky rubber... But I wouldn't want it any other way.

VIDEO:






Attachment 2748238

Attachment 2748634

Attachment 2748635
Xpel has a film called TracWrap.
Not cheap but awesome product.
Install it and remove it very easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #20
Teutonic
Lieutenant Colonel
Teutonic's Avatar
No_Country
1815
Rep
1,962
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I clean track rubber marks off my uncoated 1M with Mother's Cleaner Wax (included with their clay bar kit) and it comes off pretty effortlessly while leaving fresh wax behind. I am hoping the ceramic coat over my PPF will help with the CS when it finally hits the track.

Wouldn't WD40 strip off the ceramic coat?
WD40 doesnít affect the simple paint either. With ceramic is very safe. Leave it for a few seconds and wipe gently.
Still, have some common sense and rinse with shampoo and water once the tartar is removed.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #21
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
5422
Rep
5,475
Posts

Drives: M GmbH
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Awesome and very smooth! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers. Glad you enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toned View Post
real nice

that fly was losing it's mind in there
Haha, I can't unsee that now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
How do you clean up the sticky rubber afterwards
The paint is ceramic coated, so it washed off with slightly firmer pressure from the wash mitt. Most of the rubber though was on the PPF covered areas (front bar, side rockers). That didn't wash off at all, but came away reasonably easily with car polish. I used Meguires NXT. Might try WD40 too as someone mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Beautiful. You made it looked effortless.

I've had some great drives on Philip Island. Love finishing the home stretch and seeing how much pace you can exit with while avoid running off as you crest the hill and sight the ocean. My record is hitting 247kmh on the strait in a pre-LCI f80. Don't know if I'd ever want to push that again. I still get sweaty palms thinking about that day.
Thank you. It's my favourite track. The final turn onto the straight and the first turn after the straight are the toughest to get right. But if you do you set yourself up for a great lap time. Looking back on my footage for the day, I definitely wasn't carrying enough speed into either curve, and I think I attacked harder in the M2C. But, it has been nearly 12 months since I last drove here.

I'll be back on this track in 3 weeks, but with BMW Advance 2 Driver Training, in the G80/G82. Should be a very interesting comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Your driving is bloody spot on, aaaaaand you toasted a P-car in the process

Thanks MBR. Actually, that Porsche toasted itself. The driver unfortunately ran a touch wide coming onto the main straight and dipped a wheel off the track. Speared back over the tarmac and into the wall, then caught fire. Driver's ok (at least until he tells his wife), but the car was a wreck. Was sobering for us recreational enthusiasts to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Can't go wrong with the Bridgestone RE71RS, how do you find the grip consistency after a few laps?
Yeah, these were quite good and very consistent. With the PSS, I got that 1.50.5 once and early on, then couldn't get close. Got within 2 seconds at best, but on the ragged edge. The 71RS kept hitting that 1.48, 1.49 all day without much fuss if I got a cleanish run with traffic. That could be more the set-up of the CS over the Comp, but there is definitely more speed there to unlock.
Nicely done 💥

Not sure I'd use WD40 on PPF ⁉️
__________________
///
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #22
Teutonic
Lieutenant Colonel
Teutonic's Avatar
No_Country
1815
Rep
1,962
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Nicely done

Don't use WD40 on PPF ‼️
Actually, if you have Xpel and you are gentle and wash with shampoo and rinse after, itís fine.
R3 and Wurth Multipurpose Solvent also works.
Just donít be aggressive.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN5422.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST