BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-30-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Continuing my theme of installing the vast quantity of xxii tuning stuff I bought - installed the carbon rear spoiler today. When I bought it I also bought the bits that go on each side. That part is totally optional and some people like it/some people prefer to Lee it gloss black so it flows into the black running boards better. I personally like it.

This was by far the most expensive item - $1k including the side pieces, but still a fraction of OEM cost (over $4k without the side pieces). Unlike the mirror caps, fitment on this was perfect, absolutely spot on. Install was also way easier than I thought- was originally thinking I might have to take off the bumper or muffler, but I didn't even need to lift the car to do it.

10/10 would recommend these.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      10-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Looks good!

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Thanks for posting this. Looks great! I was looking at their rear diffuser as well and noticed that it looks like the two outside tabs at the top are broken in the image they have online. Did you have any issues like that? Trying to decide between this at the R44 diffuser. There's $400 difference between the two.

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Looks great! I was looking at their rear diffuser as well and noticed that it looks like the two outside tabs at the top are broken in the image they have online. Did you have any issues like that? Trying to decide between this at the R44 diffuser. There's $400 difference between the two.
Hmm. I didn't notice that at all. I can't really comment on the r44 stuff, I have heard good things about it. I'm not super anal about this stuff, I'm sure if someone studied it from a couple of inches away they'd notice various flaws, but I don't notice any.

Really my only goal with this stuff was to replicate the carbon exterior park at a cost vs quality ratio that was acceptable. Paying something like $8k to get it all OEM aftermarket was a non-starter. Paying $3k for all this + a couple of things the exterior carbon pack didn't have (side bits for rear diffuser, front lip, bigger rear spoiler) I'm happy with. I'm sure r44 stuff would be similar or slightly better perhaps
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      10-31-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Hmm. I didn't notice that at all. I can't really comment on the r44 stuff, I have heard good things about it. I'm not super anal about this stuff, I'm sure if someone studied it from a couple of inches away they'd notice various flaws, but I don't notice any.

Really my only goal with this stuff was to replicate the carbon exterior park at a cost vs quality ratio that was acceptable. Paying something like $8k to get it all OEM aftermarket was a non-starter. Paying $3k for all this + a couple of things the exterior carbon pack didn't have (side bits for rear diffuser, front lip, bigger rear spoiler) I'm happy with. I'm sure r44 stuff would be similar or slightly better perhaps
Thanks for the response. Maybe it's just that particular photo but it did catch my attention. I completely agree with you on the cost/quality ratio. I have the R44 ducktail spoiler which is great. Do you happen to know if this rear diffuser is pre-preg carbon?

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response. Maybe it's just that particular photo but it did catch my attention. I completely agree with you on the cost/quality ratio. I have the R44 ducktail spoiler which is great. Do you happen to know if this rear diffuser is pre-preg carbon?
Hmm, not sure if it's pre preg. Main reason I went with these guys is because at the time they were one of the few that had the front air vents (which is the main part I really wanted, as I feel like that's the main thing that actually changes the look). CT's carbon pack looked cool but didn't have that, and nor had r44 released one. I think r44 has one now, so I would possibly have gone with them if I was ordering now (just given that there seem to be more reviews of them), but not at all dissatisfied with the stuff I have so far
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      10-31-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
There is a slight variance in the "OEM" styling of this Carbon rear diffuser. The M Performance version, has some different angles. The CF aftermarket piece, is like a carbon fiber version of the stock black diffuser, except just made in carbon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      11-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I ended up ordering the MHC rear diffuser from R44 because I want it to match the spoiler I got from them. I may go this route for the front splitter though.

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      11-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
How's xxii shipping?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
How's xxii shipping?
Pretty good. I think it was about 10 days before it shipped (which is what they told me ahead of time) and then about a week to get to the US west coast
Appreciate 2
csayad419.50
Limegrntaln13473.50
      11-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #11
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I ended up ordering the MHC rear diffuser from R44 because I want it to match the spoiler I got from them. I may go this route for the front splitter though.
Def post some pics once you get it, will be interested to see how it looks. I'm just happy there are some decent options coming to the market. The exterior carbon pack was the one item on the car I was disappointed to not get, and after market OEM was enough to make your eyes water
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      11-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #12
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

thanks for the info, is the pieces 3m taped on or is it clips?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #13
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
thanks for the info, is the pieces 3m taped on or is it clips?
It's clipped, and the clips match OEM style/placement. At the bottom there are plastic plug screw type things that you take out of the OEM pieces, you then pry off the OEM pieces (I tried to do it really gently to avoid breaking anything). Putting in the new one is basically just the reverse
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #14
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

Thanks gonna order it, its a shame the fitment on the mirror caps isn't better.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
Mrbig
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
There is a slight variance in the "OEM" styling of this Carbon rear diffuser. The M Performance version, has some different angles. The CF aftermarket piece, is like a carbon fiber version of the stock black diffuser, except just made in carbon.

Can u order just the end pieces ?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      11-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbig View Post
Can u order just the end pieces ?
Yes, you can just order those side pieces. Im not 100% about the winged side skirts. Id rather someone come out with the OEM ones in carbon. But I would definitely like the side skirts to be carbon. It just doesnt make sense they make an OEM front splitter, and a rear diffuser in carbon, and not side skirts.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #17
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Continuing my theme of installing the vast quantity of xxii tuning stuff I bought - installed the carbon rear spoiler today. When I bought it I also bought the bits that go on each side. That part is totally optional and some people like it/some people prefer to Lee it gloss black so it flows into the black running boards better. I personally like it.

This was by far the most expensive item - $1k including the side pieces, but still a fraction of OEM cost (over $4k without the side pieces). Unlike the mirror caps, fitment on this was perfect, absolutely spot on. Install was also way easier than I thought- was originally thinking I might have to take off the bumper or muffler, but I didn't even need to lift the car to do it.

How hard was it getting the diffusor off? I can get the two outside clips unlatched on either side but those top clips are a pain and I can't reach them. What's the trick?

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #18
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

How hard was it getting the diffusor off? I can get the two outside clips unlatched on either side but those top clips are a pain and I can't reach them. What's the trick?
I figured it out. The trick is balls…I mean nerves…of steel. You just have to go slow and trust that the entire bumper isn't going to come off.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #19
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I figured it out. The trick is balls…I mean nerves…of steel. You just have to go slow and trust that the entire bumper isn't going to come off.
Yeah this is exactly what I was going to say. You have to just sort of pry it off and hope like hell the entire bumper doesn't come off. Definitely times where the flexing of the bumper made me decidedly uncomfortable that it was going to be an expensive mistake, but it worked out in the end.

You happy with how it turned out?!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #20
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah this is exactly what I was going to say. You have to just sort of pry it off and hope like hell the entire bumper doesn't come off. Definitely times where the flexing of the bumper made me decidedly uncomfortable that it was going to be an expensive mistake, but it worked out in the end.

You happy with how it turned out?!
Very happy with it. The cost is up there but I wanted to make sure that the diffusor and spoiler matched. Worth it for me. Yours looks great at well. Enjoy!

Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00