BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts

06-15-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts

Despite running the AutoSolutions SSK, Ultimate Clutch Pedal, and a CDV delete I would run into shifter resistance when up-shifting to the next gear. This was due to transmission deflection, which was made worse by my car's significantly increased torque.

So after some research I came across the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts as one of the better options for dual purpose cars. In the attached photo, I'm holding the stock transmission mount compared to Rogue's. I can bend the stock one with my thumb and index finger, while Rogue's mount design is a solid piece made of neoprene rubber that reduces deflection while minimizing NVH.

Had these installed today and, my god, the difference in feel is enormous with a minute increase in NVH (Would have to listen for it). The shifter goes directly in on upshifts now with no hesitation, as it should be. With over fifty miles on the mounts so far I can safely say that this is probably the best bang for your buck mod ($59) that you could do for shifter feel after the CDV delete, especially if you're tuned and pushing a lot of torque. If you have a good shop to do it it should take no longer than an hour for install (Thanks SD Garage!). Might as well install an E90 slave cylinder to delete the CDV while you're at it if you haven't done so already.
Attached Images

Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage

Last edited by -Eidos; 06-15-2021 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 5
VisualEcho6636.50
Altra265.50
AmuroRay2275.00
tenkies147.00
F87source7251.50
      06-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

I've done the same mods as you including the E90 clutch slave (CDV delete), Ultimate Clutch Pedal, Auto Solutions SSK (80a+ bushings) and the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts

The change in shifter feel is simply amazing

As you noted, the stock transmission mounts are incredibly soft

I did experience a slight increase in NVH, but well worth it IMO
Appreciate 2
tenkies147.00
M2RAW121.00
      06-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
I've done the same mods as you including the E90 clutch slave (CDV delete), Ultimate Clutch Pedal, Auto Solutions SSK (80a+ bushings) and the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts

The change in shifter feel is simply amazing

As you noted, the stock transmission mounts are incredibly soft

I did experience a slight increase in NVH, but well worth it IMO
Nice!

The change honestly shocked me. Something always felt off despite doing the "Big 3", so I'm glad that there's a relatively cheap solution.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Where did you guys pick up the bushing from?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
Where did you guys pick up the bushing from?
Can purchase it from Rogue Engineering directly:
https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...nts_p_137.html

Ships from New Jersey.

Appreciate 1
tenkies147.00
      08-05-2022, 11:00 PM   #6
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
does this only benefit manual cars ? I'm sponsored by 034Motorsports and realized they sell them for the M2 but wasn't sure if this works on DCT vehicles
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
does this only benefit manual cars ? I'm sponsored by 034Motorsports and realized they sell them for the M2 but wasn't sure if this works on DCT vehicles
It should benefit (probably less), but I'm not sure by how much. Here's a thread from the F80 forums: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1898800

It's a cheap mod and the install is straightforward, so I'd give it a go

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Man how did I miss this thread? Ok this is going to be fun laying on my back doing this job.
shaneguags1189.50
      08-08-2022, 11:38 PM   #9
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Quote:
It should benefit (probably less), but I'm not sure by how much. Here's a thread from the F80 forums: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1898800

It's a cheap mod and the install is straightforward, so I'd give it a go
it seems like they are saying the DCT doesn't have an issue so maybe I'll skip this. for a manual it def seems to help
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      08-09-2022, 12:05 AM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
it seems like they are saying the DCT doesn't have an issue so maybe I'll skip this. for a manual it def seems to help
Yeah it seems like a mod you can pass on. But for me I'll do anything for better shift feel.
      08-09-2022, 12:12 AM   #11
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Yeah it seems like a mod you can pass on. But for me I'll do anything for better shift feel.
it seems cheap, especially with my sponsorship discount. maybe I should just try it out
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
it seems cheap, especially with my sponsorship discount. maybe I should just try it out
Yeah why not? If you can diy it then it'll be really cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:38 AM   #13
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah why not? If you can diy it then it'll be really cheap.
unfortunately, I have no lift and live in an apartment garage without tools so I'd be outta luck for self installment
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:15 AM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
unfortunately, I have no lift and live in an apartment garage without tools so I'd be outta luck for self installment
Ah I see. Well technically you don't need a lift, I do all of my work on 4 ramps. I prefer ramps because I feel it's much more stable as the car was designed to stay permanently on 4 wheels which also has much more surface area contact than the jack pads. I also use bmw scissor jacks at the jack points + 2 jack stands on the rear sub frame for extra security. So that's my setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:26 AM   #15
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Ah I see. Well technically you don't need a lift, I do all of my work on 4 ramps. I prefer ramps because I feel it's much more stable as the car was designed to stay permanently on 4 wheels which also has much more surface area contact than the jack pads. I also use bmw scissor jacks at the jack points + 2 jack stands on the rear sub frame for extra security. So that's my setup.
ah I see, I just feel like ramps are sketchy and I'm lowkey not that comfortable working on my car to be totally honest. last thing I'd want is me messing up and being stuck in a parking garage lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:42 AM   #16
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Would these be a relatively easy diy install with the car up on stands? (I'm no mechanic but have installed my Ohlins, replaced rotors & do all 3 oil changes)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:56 AM   #17
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Would these be a relatively easy diy install with the car up on stands? (I'm no mechanic but have installed my Ohlins, replaced rotors & do all 3 oil changes)
I found this video on the install :
it doesn't look too bad if you know what you're doing. I'm sure if you watch the video, you'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      08-09-2022, 02:19 AM   #18
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
ah I see, I just feel like ramps are sketchy and I'm lowkey not that comfortable working on my car to be totally honest. last thing I'd want is me messing up and being stuck in a parking garage lol.
I feel the complete opposite, I feel like the car is significantly more stable on ramps. I have pushed the car hard and it doesn't budge or rock at all. I feel like having it on jack stands or even a lift like the quick jack is alot more instable because the car is balancing on 4 tiny little jack pads that are held into the frame via plastic tabs. Whereas on ramps you have the car sitting on large rubber contact patches designed to hold the weight of the car indefintely. You can see cars fall off lifts all the time, a car doesn't fall down standing on its own wheels. Ramps when placed correctly on a smooth level surface are almost identical to a car sitting on its own 4 wheels. The large amount of weight on each ramp pushing it down to the ground increases its friction as well (friction force = coefficent of friction x mass x gravity) so it is absolutely solid and doesn't move at all.

Then since I am always as careful as possible I put bmw scissor jacks (with the recantgular jack adapter which sits perfectly into the jacking pad) under each jack pad, these do not sink like hydraulic jacks and can hold the weight of the car for prolonged periods without dropping. They have a decently wide base so tipping is not a major risk, so this is another line of safety. Then I put jack stands under the rear subframe. So it is really really secure.

Wheels are chocked, parking brake is on, car is in gear. I've put alot of torque into the car while it was up in the air like this while replacing the stiffening plate bolts and torquing it and the car is always rock solid.

Ramps are also super light weight so it is really easy to move around.
      08-09-2022, 02:22 AM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Do you have a jack small enough to fit under there to support the transmission?

If so it would be doable. Easy depends on your mechanical skills, but not too difficult because everything is right there.
      08-09-2022, 02:28 AM   #20
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
I feel the complete opposite, I feel like the car is significantly more stable on ramps. I have pushed the car hard and it doesn't budge or rock at all. I feel like having it on jack stands or even a lift like the quick jack is alot more instable because the car is balancing on 4 tiny little jack pads that are held into the frame via plastic tabs. Whereas on ramps you have the car sitting on large rubber contact patches designed to hold the weight of the car indefintely. You can see cars fall off lifts all the time, a car doesn't fall down standing on its own wheels. Ramps when placed correctly on a smooth level surface are almost identical to a car sitting on its own 4 wheels. The large amount of weight on each ramp pushing it down to the ground increases its friction as well (friction force = coefficent of friction x mass x gravity) so it is absolutely solid and doesn't move at all.

Then since I am always as careful as possible I put bmw scissor jacks (with the recantgular jack adapter which sits perfectly into the jacking pad) under each jack pad, these do not sink like hydraulic jacks and can hold the weight of the car for prolonged periods without dropping. They have a decently wide base so tipping is not a major risk, so this is another line of safety. Then I put jack stands under the rear subframe. So it is really really secure.

Wheels are chocked, parking brake is on, car is in gear. I've put alot of torque into the car while it was up in the air like this while replacing the stiffening plate bolts and torquing it and the car is always rock solid.

Ramps are also super light weight so it is really easy to move around.
yea true, I used ramps once and it just scared me haha. my friend and I used ramps only for the rear though when installing an exhaust. we were underneath literally on a board with wheels and had no arm movement. it was literal hell trying to get the exhaust off the hangers without lube. I just remember being so scared that the car was gonna fall down and kill me. using 4 ramps is definitely safer than what I did lol. I'm sure ramps are safe, my experience was just scary and unusual
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 02:50 AM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
yea true, I used ramps once and it just scared me haha. my friend and I used ramps only for the rear though when installing an exhaust. we were underneath literally on a board with wheels and had no arm movement. it was literal hell trying to get the exhaust off the hangers without lube. I just remember being so scared that the car was gonna fall down and kill me. using 4 ramps is definitely safer than what I did lol. I'm sure ramps are safe, my experience was just scary and unusual
Yikes lol, make sure you chock those front wheels which generally don't have a parking brake or engine brake unless it is awd or fwd.
      08-09-2022, 02:53 AM   #22
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Yikes lol, make sure you chock those front wheels which generally don't have a parking brake or engine brake unless it is awd or fwd.
we just let it be I think. this was like 2 years ago, def one the sketchiest car jobs I've ever done
Appreciate 0