E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Gearbox Position Sensor?

04-03-2021, 03:44 AM   #1
Thomachaan
In-Over-Header
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Gearbox Position Sensor?

Has anyone had to replace their gearbox position sensor?

I've solved a lot of electrical issues [I caused] on my 09 328i xDrive automatic (GM 6L45), trying to solve this code (as read in ISTA+):

EGS: 5658: Gearbox-position sensor: malfunction

CAS: A0B1: Input, selector-lever position, implausible

My manual valve is intact, PRND all work but trans won't shift above 2nd gear. No manual mode.

newTIS doesn't have the pinout for this sensor. Anyway to know what pins A B C D E F do? Any way to test before I go and buy a used one?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
Thomachaan
In-Over-Header
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

I replaced my DME with a cloned one to solve other issues, but it didn't solve this gear selector problem.

I can't open the sensor, it's a completely sealed hall effect type. I'm gonna pull the trigger on a new one.

It looks like there's a ground strap on one of the sensor's screw holes, so the short to ground arc I caused could have very well fried it. Just wish I knew how to verify. Any transmission experts know how to diagnose this sensor aside from the codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
gapotter
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (e90 N51)

I'm having a similar issue with the 'gear selector indicator' - but not causing the transmission to not shift improper - the 'P' isn't fully lit, it's kind of dim, and fades in and out when jiggling the gearshift.

What it is doing, is causing the car not go to into 'Sleep Mode' for ~an hour! (30G timeout) - so if it's not serviceable, I'll be hitting up real OEM to see what a replacement is going to cost...

25167563656 - is't quite pictured on RealOEM...
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...36#25167563656
Appreciate 0