BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *NEW PRODUCT* MAD Intercooler & Charge Pipe W/ Install Video

03-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #23
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Just bought one as well... I'll be running just a basic stage 1 tune so hopefully it does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #24
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Just bought one as well... I'll be running just a basic stage 1 tune so hopefully it does the trick.
It will , congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #25
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Tried installing this today on ramps. Got the charge pipe in but I just cannot seem to squeeze the intercooler in. It hits the front brace and I can’t get it to rotate in. Any tips/tricks?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #26
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tried installing this today on ramps. Got the charge pipe in but I just cannot seem to squeeze the intercooler in. It hits the front brace and I can’t get it to rotate in. Any tips/tricks?
This is a stock replacement, it fits exactly like the stock one without any modification. Here is a video on how we did the install on the shop's car

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #27
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
This is a stock replacement, it fits exactly like the stock one without any modification. Here is a video on how we did the install on the shop's car

Unfortunately it’s a video of a 335i that does not have the same front brace as far as I’m aware. They also don’t exactly show how they managed to get it in there as the video cuts away.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #28
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately it’s a video of a 335i that does not have the same front brace as far as I’m aware. They also don’t exactly show how they managed to get it in there as the video cuts away.
We sold all 50 intercoolers we had in stock, i'll check with my M2 customers if they can help

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #29
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We sold all 50 intercoolers we had in stock, i'll check with my M2 customers if they can help
Thanks Mike! I’ve wrestled it for two days and finally had to give up and put the stock one back in. Chargepipe fits great though 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #30
abren
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks Mike! I’ve wrestled it for two days and finally had to give up and put the stock one back in. Chargepipe fits great though 👍🏻
Are you using the 5 or 7 inch?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:23 PM   #31
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abren View Post
Are you using the 5 or 7 inch?
5 inch.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #32
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the trouble I had. I stole this photo from the Agency Power install guide photos just for demonstration purposes. It appears they have completely removed the plastic trim piece that sits just below the intercooler, though I'm not sure how. It also doesn't look like they put it back in place so I'm curious as to whether it's even necessary to keep there.

The major issue installing it from below with that trim piece in place is the pipe I've circled. Unlike on something like an M235i, this pipe is welded to the frame of the car and can't be moved (the M235i's unclips.) Its presence prevents the intercooler from being raised up straight vertically because the outlet to the charge pipe catches on it. However, if you try to angle the intercooler in to avoid that pipe, the top front portion of it catches on the front cross brace, wedging itself into a position where it can't be rotated up straight. You can see in the second photo how tight the intercooler is between the radiator fan and the cross brace- there is basically no room to angle it in.

https://www.agencypower.com/blog/bmw...-installation/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #33
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Can you post pictures of the IC? Weight, height?

It sounds to me like you'll need to take the bumper and front brace off to have the clearance to install it properly.
      03-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #34
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Can you post pictures of the IC? Weight, height?

It sounds to me like you'll need to take the bumper and front brace off to have the clearance to install it properly.
Mike posted pictures/dimensions in the first post of this thread. It’s not like this thing is huge so I’m confused as to how other people are getting similarly sized intercoolers in. Everyone seems to say you can install it from underneath, but every install video online is either a) not actually an M2 or b) skips ahead when it gets to the point they actually have to push the thing up there.

I’m also very curious if that plastic trim piece serves much purpose. I’ve already broken one side of it completely off trying to force the intercooler in and wonder if it’s better to just remove completely at this point or whether it serves a critical purpose.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #35
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mike posted pictures/dimensions in the first post of this thread. It’s not like this thing is huge so I’m confused as to how other people are getting similarly sized intercoolers in. Everyone seems to say you can install it from underneath, but every install video online is either a) not actually an M2 or b) skips ahead when it gets to the point they actually have to push the thing up there.

I’m also very curious if that plastic trim piece serves much purpose. I’ve already broken one side of it completely off trying to force the intercooler in and wonder if it’s better to just remove completely at this point or whether it serves a critical purpose.
The plastic underbody tray? It's acting like duct to direct the air above and below the body. I would try to fit it back if you can.
      03-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #36
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The plastic underbody tray? It's acting like duct to direct the air above and below the body. I would try to fit it back if you can.
I still have it in there... was more curious as it looks like it was completely removed from the car in the linked install photos.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #37
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I still have it in there... was more curious as it looks like it was completely removed from the car in the linked install photos.
Last request - can you measure fin density for us?
I also noted the dimensions on the 1st page, it's 8.5" tall, that would explain when it's contacting the chassis brace.
      03-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #38
abren
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Odd, I got mine in with no issue. Ended up cutting the plastic duct thing and it slid right in.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 01:18 PM   #39
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abren View Post
Odd, I got mine in with no issue. Ended up cutting the plastic duct thing and it slid right in.
I can see where that would work, just concerned about cutting it off if it’s a functional part.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #40
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_M2 View Post
Installed my Wagner Evo 1 Competition intercooler with the Mad Charge pipe. The MAD charge pipe wouldn't go on far enough to get the clips to slide into the slot. I pulled the charge pipe out, uninstalled the intercooler, set it on the bench and pushed the CP on as far as it would go. The slot for clip to slide in was about a mm off. I had to widen the slot using a file to get the clip to go in. At first I thought maybe it could be the intercooler, but I took the stock CP and it lined up perfectly.

Also, the stock screws for the Map sensor cannot be used with the MAD CP. Totally different threads. The MAD charge pipe made me a little......ummm.....MAD. lol. I do have everything back together and everything seems to be working fine. Car seems to be liking the effects of the CP and intercooler. It actually seemed quicker. Maybe just a placebo effect. Idk
Had the same problem with the screws- required a trip to Home Depot. Was a good thing I had a second vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #41
tx_M2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Had the same problem with the screws- required a trip to Home Depot. Was a good thing I had a second vehicle.
Yes, they need to step up and supply the screws. It's not a big deal but it's just a matter of stopping installation and running out for something they really should supply or at the very least inform the buyer they will need different screws.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #42
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To clarify, I’m talking about the piece that is just a couple inches wide- not the actual full plastic underbody piece. Think it’s super necessary or should I just take it off?

Also, I’m curious- you mentioned the height... is this taller than most intercoolers people are installing from below?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #43
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Isn't the CSF taller and deeper than this and yet it installs w/o fit issues on the M2?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:16 AM   #44
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_M2 View Post
Yes, they need to step up and supply the screws. It's not a big deal but it's just a matter of stopping installation and running out for something they really should supply or at the very least inform the buyer they will need different screws.
The next batch will have the mentioned screws.

Please dm me your order number and I will refund you for any screws you had to buy. This applies to all MAD customers

Appreciate 0