BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS delivery - Australia (MB - M-DCT - 2NH - BLK 763M - Cup2)

01-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
M2 CS delivery - Australia (MB - M-DCT - 2NH - BLK 763M - Cup2)

It has been a long wait. Ordered Feb or March '20, can't really remember now. I just realised that was nearly a year ago! God. I did the same whole same thing when the M2C came out in 2018 too. That was going to be my keeper until BMW announced the M2CS. I decided I had to have one otherwise I would regret it forever. The final form of my favourite car. End of an era car. Needless to say I inflicted the same sort of wait (or maybe weight?) on myself 2 years apart. But let's face it. Delaying things heightens pleasure.

Today was finally D-Day. Sadly this has co-incided with a "long weekend". In Australia this means the police double demerit points, double fines and double the number of police cars on the road. Add to this I live in a beachside area of Sydney and you get the double whammy of loads more tourist traffic and police hiding everywhere. Oh well. I can live with that as it was a warm sunny day with zero rain.

I took a slightly longer route to the dealer. I wanted to get a feel for the differences between each car on a specific route. Accompanied by my enthusiastic "I can't wait" 16 year old son. If you have a 16 year old, you'll know these moments of excitement are a bit rare.

The Goodbye.
The dealer carpark was full. I parked my lovely HS M2C in the only place I could find. In front of the BMW showroom, but, blocking the route into the Hyundai & Nissan part of the business. The sales guy was delayed with an older lady. She was squinting at his screen and looking a bit shaky, poking at things on the screen. 10 minutes later I turned around to the sales guy greeting us, apologising and then himself turning around to see 2 burly Hyundai henchmen charging through the showroom door sporting a WTF are you up to to on our turf you smarmy BMW bastard look. So he went running out with my M2C keys to avert a fist fight. Bonus is that I got to see my beautiful HS gleaming dream machine drive off to a safer area.

The Preamble.
On Sunday I bought myself a Misano Blue sports blazer, paired with a black T-Shirt, black trousers and a pair of Leather Nikes with red highlights. If this car and I are to bond, we may as well be in-synch when we meet. All of this was entirely unnecessary of course, but why not make it an event! Then there was a load of signing stuff. Then a few other things. Sales guy asked if I wanted the car unveiled now. I said no, I can wait. He said, this is a really good idea as the car attracts everyone in sight. He had it near his desk and was shoeing everyone away. Every service tech, sales guy etc. Everyone wanted to see it and Ooh and Ah. So it was best to keep it undercover.

The Unveiling.
Sales guy pulled away the sheet. Photos absolutely do not do this car justice. Eyes adjust as you scan the different facets of beauty. A camera just captures what you focussed on at the time and then loses the other detail. The blue is spectacular. The gloss black wheels and red brakes are like jewels. The carbon roof is a work of art. The whole car somehow looks wider, lower and longer than the M2C. And meaner. So much meaner.

Retro Spec
In Australia we really get a stripper. No heated seats (no problem in Sydney), an air conditioning unit that looks like it was from 1992, no collision warning or lane detect. However. We do get a coin tray. Well, a bit more than a coin tray really. A nice little drawer to put small stuff in. I like it.

Luxury Leather & The Furry Wheel
Sitting in the seat you go, oh, this is soft. So soft. I don't know yet if they are more comfortable, or even as comfortable as the M2C, but they feel like stroking your hands over a freshly moisturised bottom versus a durable rhino hide. You also seem to be sitting a little lower than the M2C. The wheel is big and furry like a late 60s centrefold. It feels nice to hold. I always wanted an alcantara wheel since I saw the one on the e30 M3. Now I am living the dream.

The Handover
Sales guy explained many features I of course already knew. But some interesting ones involved the slamming of the bonnet. That bonnet is next level. Some things look slightly different under the bonnet. Unfortunately I was going on perception so I can't give specifics. Very minor. Nice that the 2020 spec has a new hook in the boot. That was new.

The Love
This car is really very special to the people at the dealership. The GM turned up to give me a bottle of Veuve and to profess his undying love for the car. They got two allocations. Second guy has an HS and gets it in two weeks. He said that he strongly encourages me to take it on the track as everything is covered under warranty. Unless I stack it of course.

Off We Go
Sales guy then carefully guided us out of the carpark. 16 year old said "my stomach feels unusual I am so excited about this car. I can't believe it". We went over a few bumps in the car park. I could tell in an instant how much better the ride is.

(Very) Initial Observations v M2C

It's a new car so this is initial. The main benefit here is going back to back over the same route.

Ride
It's a lot more supple. I never disliked the M2Cs ride. This is so different though. I know it doesn't but it feels like it has more suspension travel. It's still really controlled. I really like this.

Steering.
Again, I had no real complaints with the M2C steering. This feels like a totally different car though. There is a ton more feel. It feels very retro, like the AC unit. It makes you want to drive it like a nutter. It seems to shrink the whole car. Bonus point here. Comfort in this car feels really very good. In my M2C it felt like a Cadillac weighting. I may even use this all the time as it is not overly light at all.

Handling.
It's early days here. Everything feels more immediate. Again, I had no problems with the M2C. In fact, I loved it. But honestly, this is something else. I guess it's a sum of the parts thing. It's hard to explain, but it feels like a layer of insulation has been removed and you are even more a part of the car. You feel very connected.

Power
No idea. Just feels the same really as I can't rev it out.

Sound
The sound is a bit deeper and ever so slightly more musical. Not really any louder, just deeper mainly. The M2C sound is all in higher ranges so I can't say much about the difference until I can open it up.

Brakes
I had the blue brakes before. These ones grab a bit harder and yes, have a bit of a squeak. It's a really subtle squeak. I have had Pagids in the past that sounded like a garbage truck amplified through a Jamaican sound system. So this little squeak is pretty nice. It is G rated. Makes you feel like track day guy without the judgement.

Oddities
A lot of things feel different. The iDrive control feel is different. The doors feel completely different. They feel lighter and need more of a slam. I have no idea why. The handbrake is different. It feels lighter and again, more retro.

The Armrest
Absolutely zero problem here with lack of armrest. I may even prefer it.

Comfort Access
I went into auto pilot, put my thumb on the handle and walked off. So I left the bloody car unlocked when getting some food. This is going to be an issue for a while.

Picking up daughter
She's nearly 13. So another opinion. Loves colour and wheels. Rear seat passenger. "Seats are much softer. Ride is much smoother. I am not being jiggled".

Summary
Bloody hell what a car. I wanted the final form of my favourite car. I am not disappointed. It does draw a lot more attention though. Not entirely sure how I feel about this. But then again, my other car is a WRC blue GC8 WRX which is going through some sort of cult renaissance and seems to attract teenagers like an unlocked booze cabinet. So now I have no escape. I can live with this though. What. A. Car!

Photos:

Name:  01611299456.jpeg
Views: 659
Size:  489.8 KB

Name:  01611299459.jpeg
Views: 674
Size:  486.6 KB

Name:  01611299463.jpeg
Views: 695
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  01611299466.jpeg
Views: 653
Size:  491.2 KB

Name:  01611299470.jpeg
Views: 645
Size:  518.3 KB

Last edited by Davil; 01-22-2021 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 15
Jimjamz4583.00
AUSf222689.50
F87EVO4033.00
Hedoniste3834.00
GimmeanM1448.50
Artemis29417.50
MomoM3987.00
Alpine*1282.00
Poochie9104.50
PHX102160.50
jefe2000739.50
      01-22-2021, 01:07 AM   #2
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
What a great write up. Very happy there's another CS on the road in Aus. My impressions really reconcile to yours. Had to laugh about the AC, that was exactly what I felt. Like what the hell is this thing (that said, it does the job which is all that matters in this car).

It's great to be able to compare the CS to the C. I can only compare mine to the F80.

I'd love to hear your impressions as they develop. I do think an owner's perspective seems to vary from reviewers who had a few minor gripes (mainly the thick steering wheel and lack of armrest). Things which are easy to criticise like these fall into place once you actually live with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:25 AM   #3
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
What a great write up. Very happy there's another CS on the road in Aus. My impressions really reconcile to yours. Had to laugh about the AC, that was exactly what I felt. Like what the hell is this thing (that said, it does the job which is all that matters in this car).

It's great to be able to compare the CS to the C. I can only compare mine to the F80.

I'd love to hear your impressions as they develop. I do think an owner's perspective seems to vary from reviewers who had a few minor gripes (mainly the thick steering wheel and lack of armrest). Things which are easy to criticise like these fall into place once you actually live with the car.
Haha. Thanks.

Yes the AC is really good. Got quite a workout today! And I love the retro look.

What a car! As you of course already know!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:29 AM   #4
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Congrats!!! The blue is stunning in person that's for sure.

Any plans to protect it with PPF?

Hopefully we can do a photoshoot with jimjamz after I put on my Remus Exhaust

P.S If I had the option to delete the lane departure / collision stuff for the cubby hole, I would.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:59 AM   #5
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

A big Congrats Davil, beautiful day to pickup a hot car!

Enjoy with the kids buddy, my son has turned into a carhead, with his own M140i (including aftermarket exhaust) lol it’s great to share with them, memories.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:08 AM   #6
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post

P.S If I had the option to delete the lane departure / collision stuff for the cubby hole, I would.
Now that you mention it I was glad to have the cubby hole back. It was missing and blocked off in the F80. Storage win for the CS - who'd have thunk it!
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 02:51 AM   #7
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Congratulations! As a fellow M2C owner moving into a CS, it is promising to hear that the little improvements can be felt almost immediately.

I don't know how that blue can look so meh on other BMWs, yet so striking on the CS - a testament to the F87 styling. Great write-up.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 03:04 AM   #8
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post

Thanks! Yes the photo shoot would be very cool indeed. JJ's pics are next level.

No PPF for me. I'm one of those old fashioned obsessive detailing rock avoiders. It worked on the M2C. Touch wood. (plus I can't stand the thought of us being apart).

TBH, I turned off the lane thing and just left the collision feature on for mild amusement. The extra storage in that area is another lovely retro feature. I might put some 20c pieces in there just to throw onto the road as I cross the bridge.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4583.00
      01-22-2021, 03:08 AM   #9
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
A big Congrats Davil, beautiful day to pickup a hot car!

Enjoy with the kids buddy, my son has turned into a carhead, with his own M140i (including aftermarket exhaust) lol it’s great to share with them, memories.
Thanks! Well, my son is just about to get his L plates. He has been in love with the WRX since about 4. Since 5 he used to tell me it was going to be HIS car. By a weird twist of fate the WRX is now 1% under the allowable P plate power to weight ratio. Imagine that. I'm really looking forward to this next phase. No way on earth he's driving the CS though.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 03:12 AM   #10
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Congratulations! As a fellow M2C owner moving into a CS, it is promising to hear that the little improvements can be felt almost immediately.

I don't know how that blue can look so meh on other BMWs, yet so striking on the CS - a testament to the F87 styling. Great write-up.
Thanks!

Ironically it was surrounded by two anonymous SUVs in Misano blue. You honestly would not even pick it was the same colour.

As you know the M2C is a brilliant car, but this one is something else again. I really think this was a passion project at M land.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
Jimjamz4583.00
      01-22-2021, 05:18 AM   #11
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Very nice write up!
Congrats and enjoy !
(What a nice spec )
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #12
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
Very nice write up!
Congrats and enjoy !
(What a nice spec )
The best! But we are indeed biased.

P.S., thanks for all your pics. They kept me going.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      01-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #13
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Great read. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it.
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 06:46 AM   #14
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Congratulations on a great build and story! I enjoyed reading the whole journey. I LOLed at this, however: "The wheel is big and furry like a late 60s centrefold. It feels nice to hold." Thank you for the details of the Comp back to back with the CS. Enjoy driving that beauty!
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #15
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Great write up and congrats! You've been one of the long hauler dedicated individuals of the group, so it's great to see you getting your car!

I do wonder if we'll ever figure out why the heck the steering is so good. In theory nothing significant was changed. Lighter wheels and the slightly different camber should not generate so much feel change compared to the M2. The steering is a real outlier from anything BMW has made in basically a decade plus.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Great write up!

I live the 1960's centerfold reference. ROFL

I'm not sure if the software is completely different, but in my CS you can activate automatic lock when leaving the car.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #17
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Congrats on the new ride!

We need a pick of you standing next the the car with the red shoes and red calipers on full display
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #18
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Congrats, and thanks for the write up!

May you enjoy many happy miles in good health!

23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      01-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #19
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

This thread was added as entry in the first post of the dedicated compilation thread ("BMW M2 CS Delivery Threads").
Jimjamz4583.00
      01-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #20
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I do wonder if we'll ever figure out why the heck the steering is so good. In theory nothing significant was changed. Lighter wheels and the slightly different camber should not generate so much feel change compared to the M2. The steering is a real outlier from anything BMW has made in basically a decade plus.
Maybe they feel the typical driver likes the feel of the M2C over the CS? The C is a lot less "demanding" but still pretty great. The CS will occasionally follow ruts and is a lot more alive. I like this and I'd say most CS buyers will like this more. So I reckon they removed the previous compromises and tuned it more for driver engagement.

Would be interesting to hear from M3CS owners if there was a similar change over M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #21
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I'm not sure if the software is completely different, but in my CS you can activate automatic lock when leaving the car.
What setting is this? I looked everywhere!

It's getting ok now though. I'm getting used to it. One or two more brain fades and then I'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:33 PM   #22
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
What setting is this? I looked everywhere!

It's getting ok now though. I'm getting used to it. One or two more brain fades and then I'll be fine.
I am away from home, but I will bring it up when I get home Sunday. I believe it is "Vehicle Settings"—> "Doors/Locks" but I'm not sure.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50