BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Akrapovic slip-on on M2C - disappointment on sound

07-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Akrapovic slip-on on M2C - disappointment on sound

I was in a position to buy a better exhaust to make the M2C with OPF filters sound a bit better than a vacuum cleaner.

Having an extremely positive experience with a slip-on from Akra on a 911 GT3, I thought that I will go the same route with the M2C.

But just before placing an order for the Akra, I just asked to hear it in person on a friend’s car.
I know the sound preference is always subjective, but I didn’t like the sound of the Akra slip-on on the M2C at all! It sounded like a cheap exhaust to my ears, producing an irritating noise.

I am a bit frustrated as:
- I was just 100% confident that the Akra will sound the best and I expected to resolve the issue asap and enjoy a beautiful sound of Akra in the nearest week.
- I don’t like the current sound of the OEM exhaust with this weird OPF thing as the engine makes just no noise at all

The second option for me would be MPE or Remus given to all the videos, which I watched on Youtube. But given bad experience with Akra on a friend’s M2C I am afraid to order anything without hearing it in person.

UPDATE: post #73 of this thread.

Last edited by kart driver; 02-19-2021 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Dinan Exhaust w X-pipe or Milltek equal length exhaust are your best bets to make the S55 sound good.

Last edited by nioh_lbbm2; 07-21-2020 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
      07-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Dinan Exhaust w X-pipe or Milltek unequel length exhaust are your best bets to make the S55 sound good.

No-no-no!

I am:
- willing to keep the BMW WARRANTY, so only slip-on solution is considered, no coding!
- considering exhaust options, which are sold in Europe
- willing to have a civilized sound, not a crazy screaming one
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Quote:
Dinan Exhaust w X-pipe or Milltek unequel length exhaust are your best bets to make the S55 sound good.

No-no-no!

I am:
- willing to keep the BMW WARRANTY, so only slip-on solution is considered, no coding!
Your best option is likely the Remus axle-back with resonator delete. That's what I'm looking to have done. There is nothing else you can do to make these cars sound any better as everything past the resonator is non-touch - GPF, link pipes, Cat, downpipe. Best you can do is an axle-back exhaust + resonator delete. In EU I believe the only options are Akra slip-on and Remus axle-back.
Appreciate 1
Micke_B49.50
      07-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
No-no-no!

I am:
???

https://www.millteksport.com/equal-l...1616-lels.html

It's OPF back according to the website so there would be no coding needed. Milltek is a European brand. Specifically UK. There were several reports of people with this exhaust already on these forums.

here's another one: https://www.millteksport.com/gpf-opf...xbm1084mp.html

idk. I think Milltek exhausts sounds the best for the S55 folks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No-no-no!

I am:
???

https://www.millteksport.com/equal-l...1616-lels.html

It's OPF back according to the website so there would be no coding needed. Milltek is a European brand. Specifically UK. There were several reports of people with this exhaust already on these forums.

here's another one: https://www.millteksport.com/gpf-opf...xbm1084mp.html

idk. I think Milltek exhausts sounds the best for the S55 folks
Sounds quite good actually... although not currently EC approved (unless you go with the resonated version). If they could get EC approval on the resonator delete version I think I'd be willing to give it a go!

EDIT: Taking a closer look it seems all exhausts that have a resonator delete are not EC-approved... hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Your best option is likely the Remus axle-back with resonator delete. That's what I'm looking to have done. There is nothing else you can do to make these cars sound any better as everything past the resonator is non-touch - GPF, link pipes, Cat, downpipe. Best you can do is an axle-back exhaust + resonator delete. In EU I believe the only options are Akra slip-on and Remus axle-back.

Which of the below do you mean?

https://remus.eu/car.html?vehicleId=1-4-494-1797
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You bought the wrong car to have a good sounding exhaust.

The guys that think they have made it sound good have only made it loud enough that they don't care anymore.
Appreciate 4
nelsdvn229.00
omasou2088.00
Multimodal2896.00
      07-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

My car doesn't have an OPF but was also really disappointed with Akra. Heard it in person when I first was looking for exhausts and honestly I hated the sound. It seemed to accentuate the worst qualities of the S55. I landed with Remus as it's a sound that I enjoy. Again, no idea what it sounds like with an OPF, but might be worth exploring if you want just an axelback.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Which of the below do you mean?

https://remus.eu/car.html?vehicleId=1-4-494-1797
I was actually looking at the racing exhaust although I've now just realised it isn't EC-approved. Flip sake. Basically the only EC-approved exhausts are ones that aren't any louder than stock exhausts. In which case, what's the point? It's basically not road legal to do anything 'decent' anymore. Man am I sick and tired of regulations. *rant*
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
I was in a position to buy a better exhaust to make the M2C with OPF filters sound a bit better than a vacuum cleaner.

Having an extremely positive experience with a slip-on from Akra on a 911 GT3, I thought that I will go the same route with the M2C.

But just before placing an order for the Akra, I just asked to hear it in person on a friend's car.
I know the sound preference is always subjective, but I didn't like the sound of the Akra slip-on on the M2C at all! It sounded like a cheap exhaust to my ears, producing an irritating noise.

I am a bit frustrated as:
- I was just 100% confident that the Akra will sound the best and I expected to resolve the issue asap and enjoy a beautiful sound of Akra in the nearest week.
- I don't like the current sound of the OEM exhaust with this weird OPF thing as the engine makes just no noise at all

The second option for me would be MPE or Remus given to all the videos, which I watched on Youtube. But given bad experience with Akra on a friend's M2C I am afraid to order anything without hearing it in person.
Funny thing is - I'm pretty sure the akra exhaust costs the most by a fair margin!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
My car doesn't have an OPF but was also really disappointed with Akra. Heard it in person when I first was looking for exhausts and honestly I hated the sound. It seemed to accentuate the worst qualities of the S55. I landed with Remus as it's a sound that I enjoy. Again, no idea what it sounds like with an OPF, but might be worth exploring if you want just an axelback.

That is exactly the feeling that I had when l heard the sound of Akra on my friend’s M2C and for me it was absolutely no-go.

Last edited by kart driver; 07-21-2020 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #13
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Funny thing is - I'm pretty sure the akra exhaust costs the most by a fair margin!

Not really. I have got a very good offer for Akra. But the sound wad terrible no matter how beautiful that thing looked.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #14
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was actually looking at the racing exhaust although I've now just realised it isn't EC-approved. Flip sake. Basically the only EC-approved exhausts are ones that aren't any louder than stock exhausts. In which case, what's the point? It's basically not road legal to do anything 'decent' anymore. Man am I sick and tired of regulations. *rant*

The reality is as follows.
I am keeping my car 50% in Ukraine and 50% in EU.

And for the next 6 to 9 months given the pandemic the car will stay in Ukraine solely. There are no strict sound regulations in Ukraine yet.

So I the idea is pretty simple:
- I can put on a non-EC-approved exhaust while the car stays in Ukraine
- put the OEM exhaust on those occasions when the car travels to the EU (I am sure it doesn’t take so much time to swap exhausts there and back again)

So would the Race version of the Remus be a good idea?
If there is no CEL and no need for coding, then this is probably the way to go.

The tips on the Remus is definitely not my cup of tea, but I watched the video of Joe Achiles on his Remus Race exhaust and I like the sound of it:

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #15
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Or the alternative option is M Perfomance exhaust but I am not sure how its sound compares to Remus on OPF cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #16
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The reality is as follows.
I am keeping my car 50% in Ukraine and 50% in EU.

And for the next 6 to 9 months given the pandemic the car will stay in Ukraine solely. There are no strict sound regulations in Ukraine yet.

So I the idea is pretty simple:
- I can put on a non-EC-approved exhaust while the car stays in Ukraine
- put the OEM exhaust on those occasions when the car travels to the EU (I am sure it doesn't take so much time to swap exhausts there and back again)

So would the Race version of the Remus be a good idea?
If there is no CEL and no need for coding, then this is probably the way to go.

The tips on the Remus is definitely not my cup of tea, but I watched the video of Joe Achiles on his Remus Race exhaust and I like the sound of it:

Yeah I'm in the UK and saw the same video which is why I started doing my research. I've reached out to a couple of contacts in the UK to try and find out if this exhaust is in fact road-legal in the UK and just doesn't have 'EC approval' which may or may not be an issue (because it's purely a sound thing, not emissions).

From what I understand, no ECU/coding issues, no warranty issues... it seems like a good option. I'm just hoping and praying I can use it in the UK. Joe seems pretty open about using it on the road... but even high profile YouTubers get it wrong!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #17
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Or the alternative option is M Perfomance exhaust but I am not sure how its sound compares to Remus on OPF cars.
Remus also have sports exhaust which IS EC approved as another option.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #18
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:

But if they say, that Remus Sport is very close to OEM sound, then what is the point on changing it. I believe one of the below options makes sense:

- MPE
- Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #19
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

But if they say, that Remus Sport is very close to OEM sound, then what is the point on changing it. I believe one of the below options makes sense:

- MPE
- Remus Race
MPE in EU will undoubtably be EC approved too. I want to do some digging to see what the difference is between the Remus sports and race exhausts when it comes to noise levels...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:24 AM   #20
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
MPE in EU will undoubtably be EC approved too. I want to do some digging to see what the difference is between the Remus sports and race exhausts when it comes to noise levels...
MPE is not EC approved.
But I don’t care. For me it is not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:44 AM   #21
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
MPE is not EC approved.
But I don’t care. For me it is not a problem.
Wow that is surprising. Yeah I have just learned that EC approval isn't mandated in UK currently so looks like I'm free to go that route
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #22
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Does anybody have any experience with MPE installed on M2C with OPF?

If the sound is really great, I will most likely go for it regardless of the unreasonably high price for it.
Appreciate 0