BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MFactory/YCW Engineering Carbon Fiber Driveshaft Group Buy M2/M2C

06-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

MFactory/YCW Engineering Carbon Fiber Driveshaft Group Buy M2/M2C

Hello fellow M2/M2C owners!

I’m working with MFactory/YCW Engineering on a group buy for CF Driveshafts for our cars. I had one on my e92 M3 and it provided a few benefits of weight savings, single piece vs 2 piece (eliminates notorious clunk from center U-Joint) and more direct power. There are a few companies out there that make CF Shafts and I chose them specifically because of their reputation, they utilize the OEM guibo and there was no increase in NVH while driving.

It seems that us F87 owners are blessed with one type of DS, at least what RealOEM shows for the DS part number. However if someone know first hand that they are in fact different it may change things, as for now, RealOEM is the trusted source as both M2/M2C.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...iagId=26_0406.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=26118047169

Below is an image and specs details of their CF driveshaft for the e9x M3 platform, they had one for 6MT and DCT.

http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/...YCW-TRS-13E92M

- Made from 100% Dry Carbon Fiber
- Precision balanced to 12,000rpm
- Precision flanges/joints machined to within 0.02mm of OEM tolerances
- Stress tested to withstand over 5500nm of torque
- Proprietary Flange Lock Mechanism prevents bonding issues common with other manufacturers

I found a few links for reference if you’d like to read more about the drive shaft. There are a ton of these out there getting real world use.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=155
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1573944
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311848

Now…how much does it cost? These would be the first of their kind and pricing is as follows:

1500 shipped within the USA. Anywhere outside the USA, shipping cost is $150.

50% Deposit - $750
50% Remainder (when ready. Lead time is around 2-3 months) - $750
All funds should be sent to MFactory directly so that there is no confusion about who holds the money etc.

They will need 1 test unit, said tester would have to ship the DS to their factory for measurement and development. They would need it for few weeks to ensure accuracy and fitment. It would need to be shipped to their facility in Taiwan (at testers expense. A return shipping label can be provided if he/she doesn't have good UPS/FedEx rates). Then they will ship it back (at MFactory’s expense).

The Tester would receive a significant discount for their time – that discount is 50%!

I believe the last and probably the most important details are as follows.

- How many commitments do we need to get this started? We need 15.
- We need 15 commitments and 1 testing unit.
- 15 deposits confirmed in order for work to begin.
- How long will it take?
- Just estimating that shipping the test OEM DS to Taiwan is 1 week. Then we have a few more weeks of initial testing/development. Now we’re at 1 month.
- To complete 15 units should take 2-3 months, given that these are unusual times I would actually add a month or two on top, just to be safe. So let’s say 3-4 months. Perfect Christmas gift to close out the year!
I’m extremely excited to get this going, I know there are 14 others that would love to have this piece as well. If there are any questions or concerns, lets address them.

Thanks
Dom

Last edited by ebisu8; 06-28-2020 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
ashtaron141121.50
Poochie9099.00
      06-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Group Buy List

1. ebisu8
2. Bill in Marin
3. DeadRabbitM2
4. eric_rebo
5. NY135ivishnu
6. CLOUT
7. DrKevM5
8. thedoluk
9. ejc
10. I(M)ATWERK
11. WagonR
12. Apex Hitter
13. M2C_PLUS
14. GFEA

Last edited by ebisu8; 01-22-2021 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:10 AM   #3
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

What kinda weight saving we talking about?

This seems like a hard sell when a CF roof is not that much more exp, has weight savings to (I know diff kind of weight savings), and is more flash.
      06-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
What kinda weight saving we talking about?

This seems like a hard sell when a CF roof is not that much more exp, has weight savings to (I know diff kind of weight savings), and is more flash.
Great question and thanks for your interest. With the e9x M3 it's was about 10lbs in savings. Since the F87 has not been made/weighed yet I couldn't really answer this for certain.

I hear you on one thing and your point is valid. It's not for everyone because of the "flash" factor. While the cost of the CF hood is similar, install cost is not especially if you DIY the CF DS, which I did and will for my M2C.
      06-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
Great question and thanks for your interest. With the e9x M3 it's was about 10lbs in savings. Since the F87 has not been made/weighed yet I couldn't really answer this for certain.

I hear you on one thing and your point is valid. It's not for everyone because of the "flash" factor. While the cost of the CF hood is similar, install cost is not especially if you DIY the CF DS, which I did and will for my M2C.
I always assume ppl wont DIY you are right that a driveshaft is relatively easy to do. Just like the last thing on the list of mods lol.
      06-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
I have a CF roof on mine and I don't notice any difference to the stock roof without moonroof at all. I admit it is flash.

A CF Driveshaft on the other hand, you will notice the difference every single time you stomp on the throttle. The car becomes more reactive to throttle inputs.
      06-30-2020, 01:29 AM   #7
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I have a CF roof on mine and I don't notice any difference to the stock roof without moonroof at all. I admit it is flash.

A CF Driveshaft on the other hand, you will notice the difference every single time you stomp on the throttle. The car becomes more reactive to throttle inputs.
I know the theory . I cant say I have driven the same car back to back with and without CF driveshaft but I can't imagine it makes that big a delta.

Maybe its more noticeable on a manual car and esp. a lower powered one.

A tune costs less and also makes the car more responsive.

Not trying to shoot down the idea. I love that someone is doing this, just think its a tough sell. Price seems pretty fair and this is defo added to my dream spec M2.
      06-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
I know the theory . I cant say I have driven the same car back to back with and without CF driveshaft but I can't imagine it makes that big a delta.

Not trying to shoot down the idea. I love that someone is doing this, just think its a tough sell. Price seems pretty fair and this is defo added to my dream spec M2.
I would presume the physics to be like a similar reduction to the weight of the wheels since this is rotational mass. So the difference should be substantial. 10lbs is a lot on one moving part meaning less engine power needed to do the same work.
Appreciate 2
ebisu81070.50
DrKevM52262.00
      06-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is where I hope you're wrong in the most polite way possible. There are so many M2/M2C's out in the wild and if I can reach even a 1/4 of them that love to mod/improve cars as much as I do, it shouldn't be that difficult to do. There is definitely a market for it, just need to capture the right folks!
      06-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
This is where I hope you're wrong in the most polite way possible. There are so many M2/M2C's out in the wild and if I can reach even a 1/4 of them that love to mod/improve cars as much as I do, it shouldn't be that difficult to do. There is definitely a market for it, just need to capture the right folks!
I think this would be an ideal group buy if it could somehow (magically?) be combined with a short shifter since exhaust and drive shaft removed make it a simple job.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:23 AM   #11
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No offence taken. In a similar vain look at how much interest this thread is getting. I hope it gets made as then itll be available should I ever want it down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I would presume the physics to be like a similar reduction to the weight of the wheels since this is rotational mass. So the difference should be substantial. 10lbs is a lot on one moving part meaning less engine power needed to do the same work.
Exactly and ppl will spend cash on wheels and brakes 1st (presuming this is for a track car as otherwise this mod is a bit ostentatious) achieving a similar benefit while also improving tire selection, contact patch area, and/or braking.

10lbs is about the same as reducing wheel weights by 1.2kg, that is pretty easy to do considering the stock wheels are not so light.
      07-01-2020, 04:58 AM   #12
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

It's not just the $$ it is also the unknown timeframe commitment.

Maybe it should be 750 upfront + 750 for 3 months, 500 for 2, 250 for 1 and full refund 3+

This structure may entice more buyers, but hey if I had most of my planned mods done I would have definitely been interested.

Good luck!! And hope you secure the minimum count.
      07-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
It's not just the $$ it is also the unknown timeframe commitment.

Maybe it should be 750 upfront + 750 for 3 months, 500 for 2, 250 for 1 and full refund 3+

This structure may entice more buyers, but hey if I had most of my planned mods done I would have definitely been interested.

Good luck!! And hope you secure the minimum count.
With any new product especially the first of its kind for our platform its going to take a little bit of time and patience. Would I love to have this now, absolutely, do I have plenty of time? Sure.

The time frame shouldn't be that big of an issue, for a couple of key reasons. I personally would like them to take their time to develop and design it accurately like they have done for other platforms.

This is a planned mod and by jumping on the group buy, you have time to get your other planned mods in order. By the time it arrives, you're good to go.
      07-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #14
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I think this would be an ideal group buy if it could somehow (magically?) be combined with a short shifter since exhaust and drive shaft removed make it a simple job.
I love this idea and my plan is to get another CAE shifter for this car like my last. Shifts with CAE are worlds apart from stock or any other I've tried.

The only "Magically" part would be to have everyone want the exact same SS which wouldn't be likely.
      07-02-2020, 02:13 AM   #15
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I love this idea and my plan is to get another CAE shifter for this car like my last. Shifts with CAE are worlds apart from stock or any other I've tried.

The only "Magically" part would be to have everyone want the exact same SS which wouldn't be likely.
I thought the CAE was mounted from the top?

On topic, I think what Mr Risk was getting at, is that the company will have your cash hostage for a while and there is a risk of non-delivery.

I think you would have more luck approaching a BMW tuner/race shop and getting them to bite the bullet and offer it as one of their products. I also think you might have more luck with it in the EU (specifically DE) where lots of ppl mod their cars to be tracktools (you would need TUV certification though).

If I hit the jackpot ill put my name on the list

EDIT: Someplace like this is what I have in mind https://www.motorsport24.de/carbon-k...er-bmw-m3-e92/
      07-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #16
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought the CAE was mounted from the top?

On topic, I think what Mr Risk was getting at, is that the company will have your cash hostage for a while and there is a risk of non-delivery.

I think you would have more luck approaching a BMW tuner/race shop and getting them to bite the bullet and offer it as one of their products. I also think you might have more luck with it in the EU (specifically DE) where lots of ppl mod their cars to be tracktools (you would need TUV certification though).

If I hit the jackpot ill put my name on the list

EDIT: Someplace like this is what I have in mind https://www.motorsport24.de/carbon-k...er-bmw-m3-e92/
It's mounted from on top, yes, however its much easier to remove the shifter assembly and install the CAE. I speak from first hand experience on my e92. I'm sure there are other ways, I knew my plan and it was going to be the easier path. So I mention it to help others.

MFactory is a known company AND as I mentioned, there area ton of these getting real world use right now not just in the e9x community. Group buys are always like this, you put a deposit down, then you pay for the second half when you get it. The Karbonius box for the e92 was another one, it's actually a prime example and very similar to what I'm trying to do here.

I'm confident that I will get enough people to get this going, I am ready to pay for my CF DS all up front as well so I'm determined and I will give it all the time it needs to get it.
      07-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #17
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, 1974 Alfa GTV

I’m in. PM me. I track my car, so CF driveshaft makes sense. Already have a tune and all the basic mods.
Appreciate 1
ebisu81070.50
      07-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #18
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Whats the deadline to get in on this?
Appreciate 1
ebisu81070.50
      07-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #19
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
Whats the deadline to get in on this?
No deadline to sign up. I'm just trying to get the full 15. Once we have that then I will determine the deadline for collecting deposits.
      07-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #20
DeadRabbitM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

I am interested pending weight difference. You can put me down
Appreciate 1
ebisu81070.50
      07-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #21
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadRabbitM2 View Post
I am interested pending weight difference. You can put me down
Added!
      07-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #22
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
If time and money are a concern. Would kickstarter be an option?

If the driveshaft spins faster. Can it mess w/the DSC inputs and outputs?
Appreciate 0