BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Competition iDrive and Dashboard removal (WIFI)

11-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #1
hoganscrogan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition - DSG

M2 Competition iDrive and Dashboard removal (WIFI)

Thought I'd cross post this in the right area of forum as I have not found any dash removal info on the M2, so.....

....long story short I just activated Carplay (via enet and feature installer) and also installed a WIFI antenna for better connection.

In more detail, my UK country M2 Comp. came without extended bluetooth ticked as it was part of a pack that included lots of options I didn't want and cost £1800! It's a crazy expensive option for little gain and I knew I could activate post purchase.

When ordering I only opted for the UK 'plus pack' with - HK stereo, dark wheels, tinted windows and funny shaped headlights.

Figured I'd add Carplay via the BMW connected store after purchase, my cars on a 2 year lease so no point paying full price. However 'ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT'.

Yes as you are probably all mumbling to yourselves "the a**hole needs extended bluetooth pack to allow post purchase carplay activation as that includes the wifi antenna! Didn't he read the small print in the brochure, jerk?!".

I'd got Bimmercode so had enabled all the enhanced Bluetooth functions and was getting by with the built in BMW Spotify app... but it was clumsy and crashed a lot and I want to listen to BBC Sounds and use Waze...

Reading about FSC codes and BMW bricking iDrives when servicing/updating firmware I got nervous, then I had my RIS and Spotify crashed again and I thought "caution to the wind!"

Someone on this forum sorted out a new set of full screen carplay codes (and backed up my original set) which I installed using feature installer and an enet cable, quick, easy and £54 - billy bargain.

Worked OK for a week but connection could get dropped when moving phone and it had to be right under the iDrive unit for Carplay to work. Amazon sorted me a WIFI antenna for £10 and I fitted it.

The reason I thought I'd post here is I couldn't find an M2 specific Youtube or picture guide on how to remove the dash, iDrive etc. I also took to lazy route and left my battery connected and didn't unplug any of the units when installing antenna. Read about my experience (with pics!) over here.... https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1634925&page=3
Attached Images

Last edited by hoganscrogan; 11-30-2019 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Megator517.50