E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just changed my oil, now I hear a noise...

10-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Seann14217
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

Just changed my oil, now I hear a noise...

Just changed my oil today did everything correct I've changed it plenty of times myself before this, once I started on the car and let it idle to get the oil gauge to come up, I hear a popping/ crackling noise coming from the engine bay, it increases as I give it gas and it is scaring the hell outta me. Seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine bay around the intake manifold. HELP
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann14217 View Post
Just changed my oil today did everything correct I've changed it plenty of times myself before this, once I started on the car and let it idle to get the oil gauge to come up, I hear a popping/ crackling noise coming from the engine bay, it increases as I give it gas and it is scaring the hell outta me. Seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine bay around the intake manifold. HELP
QUESTIONS:
1) Model; Mo/Yr build; Engine (N55, N54, N52, N51)?
2) Any other work done on car since last shutdown?
3) Is car still on ramps/stands with front raised?
4) Do you know how to do "Static" Oil Level check? (See Owner's Manual)
5) How much oil did you add?
6) WHAT "increases" with RPM? (Frequency of noise, Amplitude of noise)
7) Any warning light on Instrument Cluster?
8) Any fault code in DME?
9) Have you had the Crankcase Breather Heater recall performed (IF applicable to your model)?
10) Is there any smoke, odor or heat from the Intake Manifold area, or just below it?
11) Does the Crackle/Pop (what about "Snap" ;-) happen if you just turn Ignition ON but don't start engine?

George
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
Seann14217
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
QUESTIONS:
1) Model; Mo/Yr build; Engine (N55, N54, N52, N51)?
2) Any other work done on car since last shutdown?
3) Is car still on ramps/stands with front raised?
4) Do you know how to do "Static" Oil Level check? (See Owner's Manual)
5) How much oil did you add?
6) WHAT "increases" with RPM? (Frequency of noise, Amplitude of noise)
7) Any warning light on Instrument Cluster?
8) Any fault code in DME?
9) Have you had the Crankcase Breather Heater recall performed (IF applicable to your model)?
10) Is there any smoke, odor or heat from the Intake Manifold area, or just below it?
11) Does the Crackle/Pop (what about "Snap" ;-) happen if you just turn Ignition ON but don't start engine?

George
No warning lights or codes I let the car sit for an hour and then started it again and no noise, weird right? Guess it's outta sight/hearing- outta mind 🤣
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Probably just a hydraulic lifter that didn't pressurize after the oil drain.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
No warning lights or codes I let the car sit for an hour and then started it again and no noise, weird right? Guess it's outta sight/hearing- outta mind ��
I would still remove the oil filter cap and check the cage filter goes onto, and the little o-ring on its top. See if everything is still in its place and not broken or missing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
what kind of oil filter did you use for the replacement?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Seann14217
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Quote:
what kind of oil filter did you use for the replacement?
Same as always, Mann HU816x filter
Appreciate 0