E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N52 bmw 323i 2011 grinding noise?

10-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
icyjunior
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 323i

N52 bmw 323i 2011 grinding noise?

So I'm not really sure what the issue is (if there even is a major one) I'm thinking I may just need to get the transmission fluid changed as I am not sure the last time it was done since I got the car (140000km) but after the car seems to warm up after normal driving, there seems to be a slight grinding noise when the car shifts through the gears, if I push the pedal to throttle the noise will intensify, almost sounds like the tranny or drive train maybe ? May sound a little uneducated as it's my first bmw, but I would appreciate any knowledge from you guys that would help me identify what's going on, I have a really great bmw specialized garage that's done tons of work for me on the car (spark plus, coil packs, thermostat, brand new alternator, exhaust leak.. etc) so I'm planning on letting them check it out aswell. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyjunior View Post
So I'm not really sure what the issue is (if there even is a major one) I'm thinking I may just need to get the transmission fluid changed as I am not sure the last time it was done since I got the car (140000km) but after the car seems to warm up after normal driving, there seems to be a slight grinding noise when the car shifts through the gears, if I push the pedal to throttle the noise will intensify, almost sounds like the tranny or drive train maybe ? May sound a little uneducated as it's my first bmw, but I would appreciate any knowledge from you guys that would help me identify what's going on, I have a really great bmw specialized garage that's done tons of work for me on the car (spark plus, coil packs, thermostat, brand new alternator, exhaust leak.. etc) so I'm planning on letting them check it out aswell. Thanks
Probably diff pinion bearings. I had the same issue. Ended up rebuilding my diff. Have a listen to the noise in this video and see if it sounds the same.
https://www.bearingkits.co.uk/How-to...noise/B25.htm.
The 323i has the same type of diff as a 318i. It's a type 168.

Last edited by N52bigblock; 10-02-2019 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
icyjunior
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj35 View Post
Quote:
Probably diff pinion bearings. I had the same issue. Ended up rebuilding my diff. Have a listen to the noise in this video and see if it sounds the same.
https://www.bearingkits.co.uk/How-to...noise/B25.htm.
The 323i has the same type of diff as a 318i. It's a type 168.
Hard to hear the clip, is there another video perhaps, appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:40 AM   #4
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This is the only other one i could find. It obviously won't be as loud inside the car. If you take it to your mechanic he will be able to tell very easily if it's the diff. Just need to put it up on a lift and listen to the diff with a stethoscope.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #5
icyjunior
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is the only other one i could find. It obviously won't be as loud inside the car. If you take it to your mechanic he will be able to tell very easily if it's the diff. Just need to put it up on a lift and listen to the diff with a stethoscope.
Ok cool thanks, I'll make an appointment next week to check it out, any other ideas why I could be? Usually only happens when the car warms up a bit, would that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #6
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok cool thanks, I'll make an appointment next week to check it out, any other ideas why I could be? Usually only happens when the car warms up a bit, would that make sense?
It's a bit hard to say without hearing it. Can you post a video of it?

Last edited by N52bigblock; 10-03-2019 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:48 AM   #7
icyjunior
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's a bit hard to day without hearing it. Can you post a video of it?
Yeah I can tomorrow, it's just about 2am here in Montreal so after I'm done work I'll post a vid with the best sound I can
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
icyjunior
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's a bit hard to say without hearing it. Can you post a video of it?
Here I had time to take a video, hard to hear the noise as it's very faint from inside the cabin, but at around 3:20 in the video right after I say "oh my god" you can hear it quite clearly, it's like a clicking sound almost as if something is loose?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=icyjunior;25316517]Here I had time to take a video, hard to hear the noise as it's very faint from inside the cabin, but at around 3:20 in the video right after I say "oh my god" you can hear it quite clearly, it's like a clicking sound almost as if something is loose?

[/QUOTE

Yes a bit hard to hear. Could be something entirely different but I think i can hear a bearing type noise though. I would get your mechanic to listen to all the bearings with a stethoscope while the car is up in the air. It could possibly be a wheel
bearing, or the diff. The small type 168 diffs seem to have bearing issues for some reason.
Appreciate 0