BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Ready to buy a 16’ m2. Had some concerns!

04-22-2019, 04:42 AM   #1
helloworld222
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Ready to buy a 16’ m2. Had some concerns!

TLDR: Considering a 16’ M2. Two questions:
1. Is the HK amp issue a reoccurring/very common issue for M2’s of this generation? If it is, then I’d have to reconsider keeping this car past it’s extended warranty since it seems like the issue’s reoccurrence is a major problem.
2. Now that the M2 has been around for over 3 years, can some people with higher miles attest to their experience in terms of reliability? It has a N55, so just pretty safe there, but would the OG M2 be more reliable than a M3/M4? Thanks.

Hello everyone! My name’s Law and this is my first post in this m2 forum. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that the m2 6-spd is just perfect for me. It’s nimble, fast, and I think will be a great car for me to learn manual on (I’ve been missing out, I hear!). I’ve always wanted a car that could give me a raw driving experience. Being able to really feel the road makes me couldn’t care less for creature comforts or luxury aspects of driving. Those things don’t excite me nearly as much as just the road does. Also, I’m spoiled with pretty well maintained roads here in the Bay Area

Unfortunately, there’s not much other than 2016 m2’s that are in stock at dealerships in my area right now. Mileages are nice and low, frequently serviced, they seem like a good choice. However, I had a couple of concerns from issues that I’ve read on here that I’d like to clarify before jumping in.

1. So, I’ve read up about the HK amp issue. Some have reported it’s because of their rear window tint seeping through to the electronics, water from a pressure washer penetrating through the driver rear wheel well vent, and many just for no reason at all except that it’s just a shitty low-qual amp that always breaks. After combing through a lot of individual reports on issue, it begs me to ask: how common is this issue, seriously? I read that it’s happened to the same people multiple times. If I’m careful enough with when I wash my car/don’t install tint, is it likely to expect my amp to still fail? Eventually, it’ll be off warranty in about a year for the 2016 models. Are you guys still dealing with this issue, and if you are, is it your plan to just sell the car then? That could explain all of the 2016’s on sale in my area then. Any words on this is appreciated.

2. Aside from all of the 2016 m2’s I found on sale, I did find one 2017 m2 on sale for about $4500 more. Now, I haven’t had the chance to ask for a quote on how much a year’s worth of gold status extended warranty would cost me on a m2, but could the leap in price be worth the extra year of warranty benefits alone? Personally, I’ve always had a moral dilemma with buying extra warranty since I’ve generally had good luck with the cars I’ve taken care of (plus, this being a N55, the rumors of the engine’s reliability seem pretty good ), but considering the HK amp issue and maybe some other long term common items that typically break down in the 20-50k mark, what do you guys think about whether a warranty is really necessary? Having peace of mind isn’t a big deal to me. I can really go without it- but if it’s expected that I’ll get decent value out of it, I’d rather consider it if that’s true. Not expecting I’ll get all my money back, but trying to get a ballpark idea for how the warranty has faired for you guys so far. Use it often? Glad you had it? At around what mileage did you start running into more problems and what kinds of problems? Also, for those who paid for extended warranty, how much was it for your package? Found the quote page for m3/m4’s over in the f80 forum, was wondering if it’s the same for us.

Sorry if my walls of text are hard to read. I always get too excited when I write forum threads. Mostly why I’ve been a lurker up until now, hehe. But alas, I’m here and I’m asking! A novice for sure, so go easy on me, good sirs.

Thanks guys. Cheers.

Last edited by helloworld222; 04-22-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I believe if there is an amp issue they just replace it with the newer version that doesn't have an issue. I am not aware of it being common in later models or a recurring issue on 2016 models that have had theirs replaced with the updated amp.

Other than that I think N55 motors over 50k miles I think have water pump failure? Have not yet heard of that on an M2.

Plastic charge pipe breaks on M235-M2 and stock tune levels, so that's like $200-300 to replace someday if it breaks with a metal one.

Some people at the track noticed some fuel pump issues with limp mode coming on with a faulty fuel pump that couldn't keep up. Don't think this has been an issue on the street.

Some people have had water in the rear tail lights I think on the 2018+ LCI models.

A lot of people have some bluetooth connectivity issues that come and go between phone and iDrive that fixes itself if you reconnect phone. Maybe just android?

Really not a lot of common issues so far.

I think the 2017 M2 might have larger iDrive screen, not sure. The biggest difference between the 16 and 17 is probably the updated amp and maybe apple car play? The amp problem really isn't very common, and it would seem reasonably inexpensive to deal with yourself if you had to.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

If I were you I would widen my search and consider picking up an LCI model which I believe started selling in August 2017 as a MY2018. You could save some money by looking outside the Bay Area. The LCI has a lot of improvements.
Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      04-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
I placed a deposit for my M2 in April 2016 and 5 months later when it was built in August, it had changed to a 2017 model (4->3 year warranty).
It's stock, has 15,000 miles, oil & filter changes every 5,000 miles, Shell V-Power gas only, not tracked or auto-crossed.
It's garaged in the 3 winter months while I drive my 2012 3-series.
I've had no problem with the HK ASD.
The original Continentals were changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires at 10,000 miles.
The dust shields were replaced free by the dealer due to the 'rocks in soda can' sound.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...46&postcount=8
I don't find the dash lighting an issue (2016/2017) since I primary drive by sight/sound, but you have options such as an LCI gauge cluster replacement, heads up displays, vent replacement modules (P3, Awron), etc. discussed throughout past forum articles.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=295
I chose ceramic paint protection over protection film (e.g. XPEL). A low pressure deionized water spray in the local car wash bay is used for quick touch ups.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=650132185162161
The M2 is a blast to drive and the 6 speed is great (had 6 speeds in 2000/2006/2012 3-series).

Last edited by RAM_F30_F87; 04-23-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
helloworld222
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Thank you so much for the feedback guys. I’ll definitely be looking out of the Bay Area as well since bmw’s seem very much inflated in the area I live in. Doesn’t seem like there are much issues at all to worry about. Pumped af to get one now. 😎
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
If I were you I would widen my search and consider picking up an LCI model which I believe started selling in August 2017 as a MY2018. You could save some money by looking outside the Bay Area. The LCI has a lot of improvements.
I second the look for a 2018. The LED headlights and new dash and gages plus the touch screen idrive are well worth the extra money.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #7
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM_F30_F87 View Post
It's stock, has 15,000 miles, oil & filter changes every 5 years.
Wow so your still on the original oil

:
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
guyno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18M2

my LCI and a couple of other people's LCI on this forum have had the amp problem. It's still a fairly common issue. My dealer has replaced it on 3 different M2's so far. Another guy said his has went bad 3 times. There are quite a few threads about it in the audio section if you read through them. I daily drive mine year round and it see's a lot more water and snow than most people's due to living in pittsburgh. It rains/snows probably every other day here on avg. Might be a contributing factor for when peoples amps go bad. Also power washing the drivers side rear wheel well seem's like a no no if you want to minimize the chances of it happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I have only heard of "amp" issue from people that got the amp wet and assuming it was from their tint guy or spraying the d/s rear wheel well. Knock on wood I haven't had any problems.

Last edited by omasou; 04-25-2019 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0