BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust sounds quiet after system update?

03-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Exhaust sounds quiet after system update?

I had an issue with bluetooth music and dealership decided to update the whole system. Now, it could be my head but the exhaust sounds lot quiet. I used to think it was very loud in sport mode and liked the bubble tone sounds but the sound in sport mode is pretty tamed.

Did update really make it quite or is it just my head?
Car is 18’ dct
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I think other people commented on this, mostly noticing the upshift "burps" being gone. I'm planning to get my software updated at the next oil change but I got MPE so I doubt it will be too quiet

How are other things? Steering feel, TCS and DSC intrusiveness, turbo lag (although you got DCT so it probably doesn't make a difference)?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
After bringing my M2 out recently after a 3 month winter hibernation, I didn't seem to hear the burbles in Sport+ which is my driving mode. I met with the BMW service manager and he took it for a test drive with me. When he got under the car, he said the electronics exhaust valve was not working, so I left it for them to diagnose/service.
I suggest you have them check if yours is working as it could be the electronic control module or the valve itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
What system update? Even for 2017 models?
      04-02-2019, 03:31 AM   #5
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

i just had mine done, no problems, the DSC is more free can now freely drift in mdm steering is the same and sound is the same too, gearshifts better.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i just had mine done, no problems, the DSC is more free can now freely drift in mdm steering is the same and sound is the same too, gearshifts better.
Great to hear! :-)

Was that your first ISTEP update since the car rolled out of the factory, or have you already had one in the past?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
I had an issue with bluetooth music and dealership decided to update the whole system. Now, it could be my head but the exhaust sounds lot quiet. I used to think it was very loud in sport mode and liked the bubble tone sounds but the sound in sport mode is pretty tamed.

Car is 18’ dct
Did the bluetooth music issue get resolved?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:05 AM   #8
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

No
Still waiting for update
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Great to hear! :-)

Was that your first ISTEP update since the car rolled out of the factory, or have you already had one in the past?
This was my first, I was hesitant at first due to some feedback but I want to get an ECU tune so it was recommended to me to get an update beforehand, especially since I was told I can code the burbles and pops back in just incase.

So overall happy with it!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #10
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Car is 18' dct
I've just had my car updated as well - the asd is noticeably quieter.

At first I missed it a bit, but actually I think it's a benefit - there is less white noise from the asd so i can hear the stereo better.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:39 AM   #11
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Quote:

Car is 18' dct
I've just had my car updated as well - the asd is noticeably quieter.

At first I missed it a bit, but actually I think it's a benefit - there is less white noise from the asd so i can hear the stereo better.
Damn it! the asd has got louder again - a bit more boom when engaging the sport modes,and I can no longer hear the stereo well when travelling at speed.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I got used to it being quieter. A bit odd, could it be learning driver style and adapting? (I do floor it often)

I'm going to code asd down/off.
Appreciate 0