09-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

M2C impressions from a total NOOB

Esteemed colleagues,

By total chance, yesterday, HERR FSTIR (thank you, sir!) spotted online that a HS, DCT, 29U wheels was at a dealer lot, and then posted about it on the forum. I went over to the dealership, solely with the intention of checking out the color, and within 5 minutes ended up buying the car.

(By the way, if anybody still needs an allocation at MSRP, Davin at BMW of Encinitas has said that he'd be happy to provide! 858-357-4956. He's a Bimmerpost guy too!)

First, I wanted to say thank you all on this forum for being so awesome. I've learned so much from you all. Having come onto the forum, I realize that so many of you have had, in many cases, decades of experience with some of the most coveted cars in the world. And I've read all the debates about OG M2 versus M2C, and I understand that some of the smallest nuances make all the difference on the track. But, as a NOOB, I've gotta say that everyone who has the OG M2 is incredibly lucky, because you've had such an awesome car all along. Honestly, I don't know that I would be able to tell the difference between an OG M2 and the M2C, as I'm new, but either car is something that people like me have aspired all their lives to own.

Second, thought I'd share some of my impressions of the car. I'm a total NOOB to M cars and a total NOOB to performance cars of any stripe. My previous car was a 328i, which I always thought drove like a dream. I knew nothing! So, in no particular order:

1. Driving - So, take everything I have to say with a grain of salt, because I don't know anything about performance cars. But, man alive! This thing is amazing! I spent yesterday and this morning going along back roads to the ocean and then out east up into the mountains and along canyon roads, and the car just accelerates like a monster. And I'm staying under 5500 RPM as per the break in guidelines. Can't even begin to imagine what it's like when you can take it to redline. On top of that, it just feels like it's glued to the asphalt. I feel like I can take any turn at any speed - with all the nannies on, of course. I never knew that a car could drive like this!

2. Looks - Man, a bunch of my neighbors have already come over to take a look at the car and to give me a hard time. One dude said, "Hey man, you know, this is not the best way to make friends, right? You're making the rest of us look really bad." When I was at the beach, a couple of very attractive young women came over to ask what kind of car it was. I had to remind myself that a) I'm married, b) too old to be talking to young women, and c) too paunchy to be attractive to young women.

3. Gas mileage - I'm averaging ~16 mpg. I think all of us here on Bimmerpost are personally responsible for global warming and the impending apocalypse.

4. Sound - At the risk of getting tarred and feathered, I think this car sounds amazing. But, again, I don't know any better, as I've never owned a NA V8. All I know is that in Sport+, I feel like I'm in the cockpit of a jet fighter. I've always wanted to be Ice Man. Screw Maverick. Ice Man was the real deal. And when I'm in this car, in my own head I'm Ice Man.

5. Suspension - After having read all the reviews and watched, oh, I dunno... 103 different Youtube reviews of the M2, I was expecting the car to have a suspension akin to the Rubbles' car on the Flintstones. Honestly, I've been incredibly pleasantly surprised at how "soft" the car feels. I remember riding in a relative's 911 when I was kid, and was blown away by how hard that set up was. I think in my own mind, I was expecting something where your teeth get shaken loose with every bump. It's not like that at all. And the damping is amazing. There are a couple of spots on the freeways here in San Diego on my commute where, out of the blue, there are large dips, and in my 328i, I always felt like the car would oscillate up and down wildly like a slinky dink. Don't even notice them in the M2C going 90 mph.

6. Practicality - I remember there was a question earlier on the forum about getting the M2C versus the M3, as the poster was about to have a kid. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and the car seats fit just fine, and it's been easy enough for me to get them in and out of the seats. Though, it may be a bit more difficult if the child seat were backward facing. Double-wide kids stroller also fits in the trunk. I remember the poster seemed to indicate a preference for the fun of the shorter wheel base, but was concerned about practicality. Thus far, I would say GET WHAT'S FUN!

Finally, thanks to you all again! Next stop for me is the track! I've caught the bug from you all. Was thinking of maybe getting a beater 944 (I've heard you can find some for like $5k at this point), learning how to, you know, drive, in something that I don't mind crashing and burning, and then once I've earned my stripes, take the M2C!
Attached Images

Appreciate 39
akkando5864.50
StLuis51458.50
BlkSVT388.50
devo755.00
ChrisK4449.00
SD0841.00
RedCarrot230.50
dmboone254972.00
Tag18155.00
Davil6524.50
filet.M2c784.00
m20e30871150.00
pz6193278.50
Veebee166.00
Beakster110.50
Spare°257.50
Robin_NL8717.00
Junni88.00
///M Houbi1655.00
TF24.50
JTO245276.00
Apone15.00
Hankdoll135.50
HS_M2C118.50
RN_202156.00
hellrotm4142.50
njw58.00
Jason40910.50
      09-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

pink plate is dope!

Did you test drive a MT and dct m2 before buying the m2c?
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Nice! Cant think of a better impulse buy. Sounds like you're stoked with it too. Everyones first impressions with the M2C seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Cant wait to get mine and see what all the fuss is about
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Congrats buddy. Car looks fantastic. If you ever come to the east coast, you can drive a few toys we have at our shop and gauge differences between them... or go rent a couple. You'll learn to appreciate the car even more when comparing them to similar performance vehicles.
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Shankska
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
congrats! looks good. You seem very happy, glad you are enjoying it and that you find one instead of having to wait!

2019 F87 M2C, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6MT
2016 F87 M2 - Sold 9/2018
2014 F22 M235i - Sold 5/2016.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Assuming this is the same spec you ordered, and that you also got this for MSRP??
I guess you can move Christmas day forward

Very nice car, congrats.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Congrats man! And thanks a bunch for the review. Awesome how this all turned out!

I've been reading here right along with you, never having owned a BMW, learning a ton, and being entertained all the while waiting for my M2C to be built. Yeah, I've owned a few "muscle" cars (college and 20s) w/too much HP and not much else, some low end fun to drive stuff (SVT Focus, and other junk) and lately an SUV w/500hp and AWD (good for giggles and crazy launches, but I really need some HANDLING).

I love the whole M2 vibe: small-ish, great handling, great brakes, good power, manual trans, somewhat uncommon... It's great to get the raw perspective of a new owner on a car I can't wait to see in my driveway soon!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

I had to remind myself that a) I'm married, b) too old to be talking to young women, and c) too paunchy to be attractive to young women.
Enjoy it...
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #9
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Pace yourself. When the modding bug hits, it may get nasty! Congratulations!
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
SD08
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 comp

Quote:
Esteemed colleagues,

By total chance, yesterday, HERR FSTIR (thank you, sir!) spotted online that a HS, DCT, 29U wheels was at a dealer lot, and then posted about it on the forum. I went over to the dealership, solely with the intention of checking out the color, and within 5 minutes ended up buying the car.

(By the way, if anybody still needs an allocation at MSRP, Davin at BMW of Encinitas has said that he'd be happy to provide! 858-357-4956. He's a Bimmerpost guy too!)

First, I wanted to say thank you all on this forum for being so awesome. I've learned so much from you all. Having come onto the forum, I realize that so many of you have had, in many cases, decades of experience with some of the most coveted cars in the world. And I've read all the debates about OG M2 versus M2C, and I understand that some of the smallest nuances make all the difference on the track. But, as a NOOB, I've gotta say that everyone who has the OG M2 is incredibly lucky, because you've had such an awesome car all along. Honestly, I don't know that I would be able to tell the difference between an OG M2 and the M2C, as I'm new, but either car is something that people like me have aspired all their lives to own.

Second, thought I'd share some of my impressions of the car. I'm a total NOOB to M cars and a total NOOB to performance cars of any stripe. My previous car was a 328i, which I always thought drove like a dream. I knew nothing! So, in no particular order:

1. Driving - So, take everything I have to say with a grain of salt, because I don't know anything about performance cars. But, man alive! This thing is amazing! I spent yesterday and this morning going along back roads to the ocean and then out east up into the mountains and along canyon roads, and the car just accelerates like a monster. And I'm staying under 5500 RPM as per the break in guidelines. Can't even begin to imagine what it's like when you can take it to redline. On top of that, it just feels like it's glued to the asphalt. I feel like I can take any turn at any speed - with all the nannies on, of course. I never knew that a car could drive like this!

2. Looks - Man, a bunch of my neighbors have already come over to take a look at the car and to give me a hard time. One dude said, "Hey man, you know, this is not the best way to make friends, right? You're making the rest of us look really bad." When I was at the beach, a couple of very attractive young women came over to ask what kind of car it was. I had to remind myself that a) I'm married, b) too old to be talking to young women, and c) too paunchy to be attractive to young women.

3. Gas mileage - I'm averaging ~16 mpg. I think all of us here on Bimmerpost are personally responsible for global warming and the impending apocalypse.

4. Sound - At the risk of getting tarred and feathered, I think this car sounds amazing. But, again, I don't know any better, as I've never owned a NA V8. All I know is that in Sport+, I feel like I'm in the cockpit of a jet fighter. I've always wanted to be Ice Man. Screw Maverick. Ice Man was the real deal. And when I'm in this car, in my own head I'm Ice Man.

5. Suspension - After having read all the reviews and watched, oh, I dunno... 103 different Youtube reviews of the M2, I was expecting the car to have a suspension akin to the Rubbles' car on the Flintstones. Honestly, I've been incredibly pleasantly surprised at how "soft" the car feels. I remember riding in a relative's 911 when I was kid, and was blown away by how hard that set up was. I think in my own mind, I was expecting something where your teeth get shaken loose with every bump. It's not like that at all. And the damping is amazing. There are a couple of spots on the freeways here in San Diego on my commute where, out of the blue, there are large dips, and in my 328i, I always felt like the car would oscillate up and down wildly like a slinky dink. Don't even notice them in the M2C going 90 mph.

6. Practicality - I remember there was a question earlier on the forum about getting the M2C versus the M3, as the poster was about to have a kid. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and the car seats fit just fine, and it's been easy enough for me to get them in and out of the seats. Though, it may be a bit more difficult if the child seat were backward facing. Double-wide kids stroller also fits in the trunk. I remember the poster seemed to indicate a preference for the fun of the shorter wheel base, but was concerned about practicality. Thus far, I would say GET WHAT'S FUN!

Finally, thanks to you all again! Next stop for me is the track! I've caught the bug from you all. Was thinking of maybe getting a beater 944 (I've heard you can find some for like $5k at this point), learning how to, you know, drive, in something that I don't mind crashing and burning, and then once I've earned my stripes, take the M2C!
Love the story

super stoked for you man congratulations

Go ham
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #11
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Looks awesome.

Can’t wait to see more pics.
      09-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

I personally think it sounds very muted. Hopefully a tune will help a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
pink plate is dope!

Did you test drive a MT and dct m2 before buying the m2c?

Oh, no, you're going to make me repeat my shame and humiliation. Here's what I wrote last night when somebody asked about 6MT.

Quote:
Oh, one more funny story:

So, I learned today that I truly suck at stick. I absolutely wasn't planning on buying the car today, because it's DCT, and I was set in stone on 6MT. When I told Davin (the SA) this, he said, "What do you drive now?" 328i, 6MT. "And you want to track the M2C?" Nod yes. He said, "Well, before you give up on DCT, 2 things: 1) My E46 is manual, and I've always considered myself a manual-only guy. But, my F80 is DCT, because I found with the S55, there's so much power and so much torque at low revs, it's really hard to drive smoothly, unless you're really good. 2) Let's go test drive both 6MT and DCT."

We go drive a 2018 6MT, and... yeah, I suck. I mean, I couldn't drive it smoothly at all. We were jerking back and forth in our seats like head bangers at a Metallica concert. Davin's take: "Lower power cars like the 328i that you have are more forgiving."

I think I have to hand in my manhood card now. Jesus. I always thought I was a pretty good driver. It's really quite... emasculating to realize it's not so.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Assuming this is the same spec you ordered, and that you also got this for MSRP??
I guess you can move Christmas day forward

Very nice car, congrats.

Yeah, dude! I couldn't believe my luck! I was expecting the SA to ask for $5k or $10k market adjustment as we've been seeing all along from other dealerships. But, here's what happened:

Quote:
By the way, if anybody is looking for a SoCal allocation at MSRP... please give Davin a call at 858-357-4956. He says he'd be happy to get folks allocations. And, apparently, BMW of Encinitas is one of the top 10 M dealers in the country, so he says they get a lot of allocations.

Funny story: So, I show up, was not planning at all to buy the car, was just going to take a look at HS in person. Davin, the SA, asks me if I'm interested, and I say, "Well, I know how this works. There's a market adjustment and there's no way you're going to sell this at MSRP." He says, "I'll totally sell you the car right now for MSRP." I didn't believe him at all. And then we signed the papers! So, I asked him, "Come on, man! Other dealerships have $5k or $10k market adjustments and we've even seen one on Bimmerpost for $20k markup. How in the world were you able to get your manager to agree to sell at MSRP?" He said, "Well, the manager and I have a long history together, and he lets me get away with a lot. So, I just filled out all the paperwork, went into his office, told him that I'd already sold the car, and started walking out the door. When asked for how much, I shouted over my shoulder 'MSRP,' and by that time, I was already out the door, so what could he say?" Turns out, he's a Bimmerpost guy too! I told him, "Dude, there are lots of folks looking for M2C allocations at MSRP." And he said, "Really?" I was like, "Dude, it's all over the forum!" He said, "Oh... Yeah, I'm always on the F80 forum, while you're probably on F87!" He's got an E46 and an F80. Got pulled over driving at 117 mph in a 45 mph zone late at night in Encinitas. So, yeah... an idiot, oops, I mean, enthusiast, like the rest of us.

Anyway, great guy, and will do MSRP!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #15
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Love everything about this except for the part with the attractive women. Proper M2\c etiquette is to always offer to take them for a ride. Not doing so is simply uncouth.
Appreciate 8
      09-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #16
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Awesome write up...love your enthusiasm and the Ice Man reference! Very apropos for San Diego. And the two child seats go well with the orange stitching!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #17
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Great story. Beautiful car. Love it! Congrats again.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #18
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Congratulations. Your car is beautiful

I see that you already have 2 bucket seats installed at the back as your first mod
Appreciate 2
Spare°257.50
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #19
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Congrats buddy! We'll need to organize a drive sometime with the SD/OC members perhaps later in the year!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #20
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Congrats man. Really loving HS.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #21
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Yeah, dude! I couldn't believe my luck! I was expecting the SA to ask for $5k or $10k market adjustment as we've been seeing all along from other dealerships. But, here's what happened:
Congrats man, you've been all over this forum.
Reality of the manual in these cars, it just isn't that good. Sure, it's fun to row the gears, but the shifter, clutch and the flywheel just aren't a great combo. At least in my 17. I'm going dct, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Keep posting!
Appreciate 1
Not Sure212.50
      09-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #22
mycamoalien
Petrol Engines will never die!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Brilliant story. Your enthusiasm bounces through the screen as I read it! Congrats.