BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > M2 instrument cluster marks -help

07-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #1
lockwood
Rep
Drives: m2 lci

M2 instrument cluster marks -help

Just one month ago I purchased a new, off the floor, M2.

Next day, I noticed quite a few marks on the cluster's clear cover. They initially looked to be on the inside of the cover, but now I think they may be on the outside. They can normally only be seen when the sun shines across them or you shine a torch on them. When you've seen them once, you tend to focus on them and can see them most of the time - very annoying. A few days later when I referred them to the BMW dealer, they suggested it was something I may have done!!

I know I should have seen them on the showroom floor, but they weren't obvious initially.

Is this a common occurrence?

Has anyone else noticed marks on their cover, if so, what did you do about it?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

I doubt they are on the inside but a word of warning the plastic will scratch very easily.

Maybe blow with a can of compressed air to get rid of the dust and use 100% water based baby wipe.
      07-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
papertarget
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Lci

I have exactly the same issue. I picked up my car last Tuesday and notified it Saturday when the sun hit the dash. I raised it with the dealer immediately and pics were sent off for warranty.

Given it’s not possible that I have caused the scratches to dealer has an opportunity to do the right thing here..

I will update when I get an outcome
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
lockwood
Rep
Drives: m2 lci

Hi,

May I ask who your dealer was? Mine was Rolfe BMW Canberra, they have an excellent reputation here. My car is a September 17 build, April 18 compliance.

I noticed mine next day, but didn't speak to the dealer for a couple of weeks as I was going to bring it up at the first service, but decided to go in and get them to order the parts beforehand so I didn't have to book it in again for fitment.

I have had 100+ cars and won 3 national concours so I know what to use to clean etc. and not damage anything.

The area Manager is coming to Canberra on a regular visit on the 19th., he will give a decision on whether it is a warranty job.

The instrument assembly is a sealed unit, it costs $2030.

I'll let you know what happens with mine, please do update me on your claim.

Cheers
John
0477 77 00 17
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
javab0y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2, 2013 BMW X3 28i

Mine was the same when I received the car about a week ago, it's near the bottom centre where the odometer is. Good to hear others with this issue. I thought it might have been done by the dealer during pre delivery but hard to say...

Interested to hear outcome. I am in Canberra but bought interstate so thought it might be too hard to chase up... until I saw this post.

I will be taking the car to Rolfe for its regular service.

Edit. Just Googled this, fairly common it seems https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post23015756
Appreciate 1
Zuzu2816.00
      07-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #6
papertarget
Private
Rep

Please keep me In the loop as I am not planning on letting this go if bmw decide not to warranty the dash. It is bloody terrible once the light hits it and is really destroying my amazing purchase experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #7
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

its obviously a manufacturing flaw, what are the chances of getting bmw to recall and update the cluster coating?
      07-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #8
papertarget
Private
Rep

I doubt it but they should! I literally picked my car up drove it for maybe 70km then noticed these horrible scratches in any direct light. Doesn’t help that the dealers pd is all done under cover and no direct lighting would be applied inside the cabin.

They have benefit of the doubt and my sales manager was fantastic so let’s see how they go over the next week or so but i need it fixed
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by javab0y View Post
Mine was the same when I received the car about a week ago, it's near the bottom centre where the odometer is. Good to hear others with this issue. I thought it might have been done by the dealer during pre delivery but hard to say...

Interested to hear outcome. I am in Canberra but bought interstate so thought it might be too hard to chase up... until I saw this post.

I will be taking the car to Rolfe for its regular service.

Edit. Just Googled this, fairly common it seems https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post23015756
Agree and came upon the above link by accident before I took delivery, and have only used compressed air to blow off the dust as a precaution.

That being said, The compressed air should not be the solution, as this is just down right unacceptable on any car, let alone a prestige brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:02 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I understand with it being a new car and all and it wasnt damaged by you guys, but if the dealer doesnt replace under warranty it should be a simple fix with some novus plastic polish:

https://novusautoglass.com.au/plastic-polish/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOVUS-PL...gAAOxykVNRwzGm
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #11
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I understand with it being a new car and all and it wasnt damaged by you guys, but if the dealer doesnt replace under warranty it should be a simple fix with some novus plastic polish:

https://novusautoglass.com.au/plastic-polish/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOVUS-PL...gAAOxykVNRwzGm
But the original cluster is matte, not glossy, while this is a workaround, it doesnt dismiss the poor judgement in design
Appreciate 0