F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 xDrive N55 with BM3 - DSC Kicking In?
GetBMWParts

06-09-2018, 01:34 AM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

F30 xDrive N55 with BM3 - DSC Kicking In?

EDIT : Just to be clear, I ask because I did NOT see the DSC light blink.

---

I recently flashed my PWG F30 N55 with BM3 using the OTS 93 Stage 2 map. Car is an xDrive.

I have an upgraded FMIC as well as a high flow catted downpipe. As far as recomendations for the map, playing 100% by the rules. Fuel was EU BP 98 RON.

Making the switch from the JB4 (Map 2), naturally I noticed quite an improvement.

I had the following happen twice yesterday:

Driving in Comfort Mode.

Large open lane, so I floor it. Including the "down shift" click at the end of the peddle. Perfect weather, mid 20c, dry.

Somewhere near the middle / top of the RPM range the power cut out completely and I heard what sounded like a burble. I am not 100% sure where in the RPM range took place as it happens quite quickly (eyes on the road) but there was a good distance / time that I felt the car go balls to the wall.

No check engine light, car continues to run without any sort of Limp mode or any faults. Ready for another hard pull.

Did not catch the traction control light. Although as soon as it happened both times I looked right away since this was the first thing that came to mind.

Now honestly, this felt like the DSC kicking on, but I saw no light to indicate so.

Anyone else experience this? Could I be spining my tires going over 50km/h in a 4x4?!

EDIT:

Just checked my codes.

The only stored one is 108001. But I am 99.999999% sure this is when I disconnected the MAF sensor when checking what my air filter looks like.

Last edited by anom3; 06-09-2018 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
anom3
Captain
Rep

Alright, starting to worry me a bit.

I did a few wot pulls in Sport mode, same thing. Not every time, but it happened a few times.

I checked my codes again, nothing.

Further clarification:

When I say "power cut out", I mean that it was as though the motor limited fuel delivery to the motor. Motor stayed on and I kept on driving, just my wot pull(s) were 'interrupted.

It SORT of reminded me when a number of years ago in my E92 M3 I made a tight turn at high speed with a nearly empty fuel tank and the motor was fuel starved for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

the engine is def cutting the power to protect itself.

best bet is to log and send to guys at PTF to diagnose.
      06-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
anom3
Captain
Rep

it has not happened in quite a few days now.

i did the following, although it all seams a bit unrelated, but still:

a) re-did all the pressures on my 4 corners according according to what the door says, 2.4 bar. i had 2.4 front, 2.5 rear previously.

b) reflashed with burble turned off and cold start on. car did not like cold start off too much btw, the idle was a bit rough for the first 10 or so seconds.

have done multiple pulls (10ish?) and have not felt any sort of power cut.

ill keep an eye on it and will report if it pops up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
the engine is def cutting the power to protect itself.

best bet is to log and send to guys at PTF to diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Sounds like it could be leaning out or maxing the fuel pump, I had this happen with the JB4 on E85 blend and it would basically stutter a little and hen keep going balls to the walls. I would say ask dealer about recalls on LPFP my other suggestion would be to either, A: regap plugs or B: upgrade to N20 plugs gapped at .018-.020
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 435xi M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
Alright, starting to worry me a bit.

I did a few wot pulls in Sport mode, same thing. Not every time, but it happened a few times.

I checked my codes again, nothing.

Further clarification:

When I say "power cut out", I mean that it was as though the motor limited fuel delivery to the motor. Motor stayed on and I kept on driving, just my wot pull(s) were 'interrupted.

It SORT of reminded me when a number of years ago in my E92 M3 I made a tight turn at high speed with a nearly empty fuel tank and the motor was fuel starved for a few seconds.
Same thing happened to me as well from time to time. It's probably the fuel pump. But ever since OTS6 I don't feel that any more
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Similiar thing has happened to me, with a different software.
Car started cutting off a little, then more. Did 2 4th gear pulls and on the last one got a drivetrain error.
Flashed car to stock and then back. Now havent done any WOT pulls in a week but yesterday did again 4th gear and car was running great, no problem. Was stupid and didnt check the codes the first time.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I've had the same thing happen as well especially when running higher ethanol mixes. It's probably your HPFP crashing but could also be a throttle closure. Log it and post up.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6erLover View Post
Similiar thing has happened to me, with a different software.
Car started cutting off a little, then more. Did 2 4th gear pulls and on the last one got a drivetrain error.
Flashed car to stock and then back. Now havent done any WOT pulls in a week but yesterday did again 4th gear and car was running great, no problem. Was stupid and didnt check the codes the first time.
HPFP or plugs I think
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
it has not happened in quite a few days now.

i did the following, although it all seams a bit unrelated, but still:

a) re-did all the pressures on my 4 corners according according to what the door says, 2.4 bar. i had 2.4 front, 2.5 rear previously.

b) reflashed with burble turned off and cold start on. car did not like cold start off too much btw, the idle was a bit rough for the first 10 or so seconds.

have done multiple pulls (10ish?) and have not felt any sort of power cut.

ill keep an eye on it and will report if it pops up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
Sounds like it could be leaning out or maxing the fuel pump, I had this happen with the JB4 on E85 blend and it would basically stutter a little and hen keep going balls to the walls. I would say ask dealer about recalls on LPFP my other suggestion would be to either, A: regap plugs or B: upgrade to N20 plugs gapped at .018-.020

There is a recall for the LPFP so i would get it replaced sooner than later.