BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > False alerts on collision warning

01-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

False alerts on collision warning

Over the past few months I have had several occasions where there was no car in front of me but my collision warning system alerted and in some cases even did initial braking. Has anyone else had this issue? If so is it worth having the dealer address or just live with it? I think I have had 4-6 episodes in the past 2-3 months. Not a huge deal but I had no false alerts in the previous 10 months or so and this suddenly popped up around Thanksgiving time.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Haven't experienced this on mine, but I thought this system on the M2 did not do any automatic braking? Either way, my opinion is it's not something I would take the car to the dealer for - I would just turn it off and leave it off.
      01-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Front Collision Warning with mitigation automatic breaking .
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Over the past few months I have had several occasions where there was no car in front of me but my collision warning system alerted and in some cases even did initial braking. Has anyone else had this issue? If so is it worth having the dealer address or just live with it? I think I have had 4-6 episodes in the past 2-3 months. Not a huge deal but I had no false alerts in the previous 10 months or so and this suddenly popped up around Thanksgiving time.
Happened to me, thing just slammed on the brakes after I accelerated when my light turned green. Lucky I didn't get rear ended.
      01-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Happened to me twice in 14kmi/8 months so far. No breaking that I've noticed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Adding to the list...I have an 18 and it has given the warning (no braking) once for no reason at about 60-65 mph in about 3000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Mine never goes off without an actual car closing in fronr. Got it on closest mode though.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Mine never goes off without an actual car closing in fronr. Got it on closest mode though.
I have mine in the same mode. I think I will bring it in and see what they have to say. I have some time next week so might as well have it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Happened to me, thing just slammed on the brakes after I accelerated when my light turned green. Lucky I didn't get rear ended.
Now THAT's scary. I didn't think I needed it.....didn't get the pkg...now VERY glad about my decision.

Somehow I've avoided crashing into the car in front of me on my own.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

that is concerning...mine has been fine and it set to "early" and it seems like it lets you get really damn close before it starts to notify.

Maybe you guys can turn the sensitivity down? It would freak me out to be rolling down the highway and out of nowhere the brakes start being applied
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #11
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
that is concerning...mine has been fine and it set to "early" and it seems like it lets you get really damn close before it starts to notify.

Maybe you guys can turn the sensitivity down? It would freak me out to be rolling down the highway and out of nowhere the brakes start being applied
Yea you could turn down the sensitivity. I try to turn it off whenever I remember, but it sucks that you have to turn it off every time u start the car. Its also happened when I was on my way of making a tight-cut overtake and the car would jam on the brakes before I switch the lane
      01-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yea you could turn down the sensitivity. I try to turn it off whenever I remember, but it sucks that you have to turn it off every time u start the car. Its also happened when I was on my way of making a tight-cut overtake and the car would jam on the brakes before I switch the lane
So then it sensed a possible imminent collision and tried to intervene. Most ave peeps would prolly hit someone in those situations.....who knows

All the stuff is supposed to increase safety but it does get annoying after awhile with all the light blinking and steering wheel vibrating
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So then it sensed a possible imminent collision and tried to intervene. Most ave peeps would prolly hit someone in those situations.....who knows

All the stuff is supposed to increase safety but it does get annoying after awhile with all the light blinking and steering wheel vibrating
Yeah I mean it did its job. Only one time its stopped out of nowhere. It is annoying if your are an engaged driver, but it would be useful if a driver were to get distracted.
      01-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
It happened to me for the first time the other night. There was nothing in front of me and the red car symbol appeared on the dash and the buzzer alarm went off. I don't think that the brakes were activated. I will mention it to the SA next time I have the car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Cross-referencing to a couple of threads about the collision warning feature on the M2:
      01-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
I admit I haven't experimented with that button yet, but I expected it would stay off just like the Lane Departure Warning. (I'd go try it now, but my car is currently hiding in the garage from road salt and 13 degree temperature.)
      01-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #17
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

I will be bringing my car in this week and will report back whatever the dealer has to say. I suspect there isn't much they can do except check the sensor and its alignment, I know they recommend that procedure after a windshield change (I haven't changed mine btw). I do have to say I think there are merits to the system so even though I have had some false alerts I don't think that is an inditement on the system itself. I suppose I would rather have a false alert and that light braking under false circumstances over not having the system at all.

Artemis, thanks for posting the links to the other discussions, I decided to start a new thread because I think I am the first to have suddenly had false alerts after quite a few miles of not having any so I suspect that something has changed. I know I don't have the highest mileage M2 but I probably have quite a few more miles than most so it will be interesting to see if there is an alignment issue that occurs for whatever reason after X miles of use.

I will report back this week so stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #18
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
It happened to me for the first time the other night. There was nothing in front of me and the red car symbol appeared on the dash and the buzzer alarm went off. I don't think that the brakes were activated. I will mention it to the SA next time I have the car in for service.
Buzzer went off, have not heard that yet just see the red light...... oh shit I wonder if that is one of the warnings i coded out when I was doing the seatbelt and i-drive warnings stuff
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Buzzer went off, have not heard that yet just see the red light...... oh shit I wonder if that is one of the warnings i coded out when I was doing the seatbelt and i-drive warnings stuff
The circumstances seem to dictate the level of alert and intervention. I have had some with just the dash light, some with dash light and a audible alert and some with audible alert, light and braking. I suspect it is determined by speed, calculated distance and perhaps if your in a turn or going straight. The braking feels like a tap of the brakes not enough to come to a complete stop or slow the car much if your on the gas pedal.

BTW the quickest appointment with a loaner I could get is the 17th so it will be next week before I report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Mine is a 16, and I don't think my car can apply the brakes for collision warning. I read that with the pedestrian warning (day time only) it will apply brakes?

So did they upgrade the system for the 17 and 18 model year?

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Mine is a 16, and I don't think my car can apply the brakes for collision warning. I read that with the pedestrian warning (day time only) it will apply brakes?

So did they upgrade the system for the 17 and 18 model year?

Mike
If you have the executive package that has the collision avoidance stuff then yes the system is unchanged since its inception so the 16,17 and 18 are all the same. It doesn't brake substantially, what I read is it is mainly pre-braking so closing the gap between the rotor and pad so when you emergency brake it would reduce total braking distance by reducing the reaction time. It rarely happens, in all of my alerts (real or not) I have only had it brake for me 2-3 times all of those times I was accelerating so you just feel a little tap of brakes. One guy here said he was off the gas when it happened and coasting and under those circumstances it slowed the car fairly significantly and he was concerned he would be rear-ended.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #22
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
If you have the executive package that has the collision avoidance stuff then yes the system is unchanged since its inception so the 16,17 and 18 are all the same. It doesn't brake substantially, what I read is it is mainly pre-braking so closing the gap between the rotor and pad so when you emergency brake it would reduce total braking distance by reducing the reaction time. It rarely happens, in all of my alerts (real or not) I have only had it brake for me 2-3 times all of those times I was accelerating so you just feel a little tap of brakes. One guy here said he was off the gas when it happened and coasting and under those circumstances it slowed the car fairly significantly and he was concerned he would be rear-ended.
That is what I was lead to understand. It is not supposed to actually apply brake force but ready it, unless it is in the pedestrian mode. I will check the manual again tomorrow.

My friends CLA AMG actually applies the brakes, and hard! Scared the hell out of him the first time. I think he got the thing deactivated after a few stops!

At least in the M2 you can easily shut if off with an actual switch.
Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0