M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Lightweight frontlip

10-04-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 on order

Lightweight frontlip

Any people out here having this frontlip fitted?
Happy with the quality? Easy install?

Pictures are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

I have it and happy with the quality. I went with the lightweight because CF cracks, breaks etc. I installed mine on a friends lift which made it much easier as the car is too low to drive up on ramps.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

All the above. Its great. I know its all preference; CF looks good for the "awesome, insane, dude" as people walk by...but not for the even small repairs that might happen as one uses the car at all. CF does not repair well.

The lightweight works at speed, looks great, and easily maintained. Install is not too fiddly at all, but one needs a rack for ease.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Feel free to post some pictures or Instagram accounts?
Can't find many pictures of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

I have it, it’s awesome! All points made above are why I got it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I would not classify it as an "easy" install though...you have to drill the bumper and it is not exactly easy getting everything to line up (I did mine on jack/jack-stands) and it would be a lot easier on a lift and with two people (to help hold the lip when you are attaching it.

It's definitely not as simple as it appears so definitely plan some time to get it right. My dumbass also didn't have a big enough drill bit and had to run out to get that mid-install.

I do like how stout the lip is...way better value than the weak CF ones out there
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK.Alexx View Post
Mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Thevintage
Private
Rep
Drives: 1998 840ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK.Alexx View Post
My M2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #9
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Thanks guys! Had an M135i with frontlip. In my opinion the frontlip may point a little bit more out. But still love it!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #10
chrispraeger
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I have installed the carbon fibre version and it just looks great !!

DSC01314 by Chris Präger, auf Flickr

DSC01341 by Chris Präger, auf Flickr
      10-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Hi Chris, thanks!
Saw a picture of a MG M2 on your driveway. With that frontlip. Can you please post more pictures of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

I've got the LightWeight splitter on my M235i and love the simplicity of it. I'm thinking of getting the normal (polyurethane?) splitter for my M2 but wrapping it in a CF wrap then put PPF over it. I'm a bit worried about cracking the real CF LightWeight splitter. Any down sides to doing this?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Straight side shot if possible...all I have seen point a little up due to the curvature of the lower frame mounting area. That is keeping me from buying it
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 06:07 AM   #14
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

A question for those who have installed the Lightweight lip. I'm installing mine but there are 2 plastic lugs each side of the bumper (towards the outside & not part of the under tray) which prevent the rear of the lip from sitting flush up against the bumper (they make the lip tilt upwards). there are hole pre-drilled into the lip where these lugs are but the installation instructions make no mention of removing the lugs. Any solution? I'm thinking either remove the lug and replace with a bolt or drilling out the holes in the lip to accommodate the lug
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
CasopoliS
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
A question for those who have installed the Lightweight lip. I'm installing mine but there are 2 plastic lugs each side of the bumper (towards the outside & not part of the under tray) which prevent the rear of the lip from sitting flush up against the bumper (they make the lip tilt upwards). there are hole pre-drilled into the lip where these lugs are but the installation instructions make no mention of removing the lugs. Any solution? I'm thinking either remove the lug and replace with a bolt or drilling out the holes in the lip to accommodate the lug
I am in the middle of the install. I removed them, but currently I am not sure if I should replace them or not. There are holes in the lip as if you could put a fastener there... but no instructions on how to do so. One option is to drill out those holes on the lip so they completely go around those press-in fittings.... I suoopse.
My additional issue is the M6 inserts just rotate vs. compressing. I got 3 to work but the other 3 just spin. I might add a dab of oil to the bolt so it won’t bind... anyone else run into this?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
CasopoliS
Rep
Drives:

I’ll create a separate thread, but here are the tricks I learned.

Installing inserts into bumper: Add a dab of oil on the screw, it helps collapse the inserts in the bumper without them spinning. Make sure the screw threads are free of debris or shards. This helps the bolt pull down / collapse the insert vs. threads binding and the insert just spins freely. Use a fresh bolt for each insert collapse if you want to be sure.

- Use two of the long bolts in the yellow hole (mirror it on the other side). I would not tighten these down all of the way, it will pull down on the bumper. Might recommend blue loctite and only snug them (i.e. leave a gap between the lip and bumper vs. pull the bumper down. EAS could have probably made short black spacers here as well, but it’s probably overkill.

- The third long bolt goes into the front hole on the spacer.

- Use a countersink bit and open up the holes circled in red (mirror on the other side). This allows you to keep the factory plastic snaps that are here (also in red on second picture). Not sure what EAS does with these but it’s not clear in the instructions. This is a top view of the spoiler.

Last edited by CasopoliS; 04-13-2019 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #17
M2Geil
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Interested bin this as my previous experience with a carbon fiber splitter didn't end well for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Question for Lightweight lip owners... did you install the center spacer?

My shop did but it sits a little too far forward for my linking... not sure if it can be adjusted now as they said it's drilled, not adhesive.

From a lot of the pictures I see online (including @ak.alexx car) it almost appears like many people have foregone the spacer all together, or can I just not see it?

FWIW my installer reckons it's important to have it installed otherwise the center would be too flimsy without the reinforcement.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Pretty sure you need the spacer or it would be unstable/odd-looking/angled too far up
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #20
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Question for Lightweight lip owners... did you install the center spacer?

My shop did but it sits a little too far forward for my linking... not sure if it can be adjusted now as they said it's drilled, not adhesive.

From a lot of the pictures I see online (including @ak.alexx car) it almost appears like many people have foregone the spacer all together, or can I just not see it?

FWIW my installer reckons it's important to have it installed otherwise the center would be too flimsy without the reinforcement.
You definitely need the spacer, otherwise the center of the lip would be pulled up (like a rainbow) and would not fit correctly. Mine does not sit that far forward and I think that it looks great.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #21
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
You definitely need the spacer, otherwise the center of the lip would be pulled up (like a rainbow) and would not fit correctly. Mine does not sit that far forward and I think that it looks great.
Thanks. I love the lip. Just wish the spacer sat back a bit more so it wasn't so prominent in the front end view.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #22
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Thanks. I love the lip. Just wish the spacer sat back a bit more so it wasn't so prominent in the front end view.
Understood, but it is definitely there for a reason.

Appreciate 0