BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Rear Parking Sensor On/Off Switch

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Rear Parking Sensor On/Off Switch

Anyone got this installed? And where did you buy it, if you don't mind sharing the information?
On eBay all I found were some "used" ones. Though they look quite new, I'm trying to avoid putting something used on a brand new car.
Would anyone know how much the unit will cost if ordered from the dealer?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Aust350z
Captain
Aust350z's Avatar
Australia
218
Rep
696
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

I think it was mentioned somewhere previously in the order of ~$250.

I have one I bought from the UK, used, that I've decided not to install. PM me if you decide against brand new.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Prodigy.
Major
Prodigy.'s Avatar
Australia
585
Rep
1,489
Posts

Drives: ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

I bought mine used off ebay from the UK, a few marks on the underside but looks like new when installed.

I got a quote of $260 for a new one from Bmw.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
I think it was mentioned somewhere previously in the order of ~$250.

I have one I bought from the UK, used, that I've decided not to install. PM me if you decide against brand new.
Thanks for the info.
PM'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I bought mine used off ebay from the UK, a few marks on the underside but looks like new when installed.

I got a quote of $260 for a new one from Bmw.
Looks like I'm looking at around $250 if I'm ordering from the dealer.
Guess I might just get a used one then...
Cheers.

Off topic - how's it going with Remus, any update?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
Prodigy.
Major
Prodigy.'s Avatar
Australia
585
Rep
1,489
Posts

Drives: ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post

Off topic - how's it going with Remus, any update?
Still waiting mate, has been over 4 weeks since i ordered it, has to come from Austria apparently, had no communication about delays until after i ordered it.
The first system did arrive although that took nearly 3 weeks from only Melb, had it installed on my mates car the other day.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=22179213
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Still waiting mate, has been over 4 weeks since i ordered it, has to come from Austria apparently, had no communication about delays until after i ordered it.
The first system did arrive although that took nearly 3 weeks from only Melb, had it installed on my mates car the other day.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=22179213
Came across that thread the other day, looks amazing!
So they don't have a ETA yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Prodigy.
Major
Prodigy.'s Avatar
Australia
585
Rep
1,489
Posts

Drives: ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Came across that thread the other day, looks amazing!
So they don't have a ETA yet?
I haven't heard anything, will chase them up again today.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I haven't heard anything, will chase them up again today.
Bummer. All the best mate.
I think we might need to stop the conversation here, otherwise some people might be pissed if we keep going on and on.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
V.Smurf's Avatar
Australia
144
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Hi nick_stp,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Anyone got this installed? And where did you buy it, if you don't mind sharing the information?
On eBay all I found were some "used" ones. Though they look quite new, I'm trying to avoid putting something used on a brand new car.
Would anyone know how much the unit will cost if ordered from the dealer?

Thank you.
I've purchased a new one already, and its sitting in my garage awaiting the delivery of the M2. I bought it from Cotswold Motors in the UK.

The reason I bought it from them was that I was already buying the M Performance Rear Diffuser from them and the additional cost of having the part shipped was $0.

That said, when I was doing my research, and before I decided to get the Rear Diffuser, I found the best place for pricing was here. Note: the pricing on this website is in USD even though it'll tell you it knows you are ordering from Australia. By way of comparison, the price from these guys was about USD$20 less than Cotswold Motors.

I borrowed a demo M2 a few weeks ago to check that it could enter my driveway without bottoming out (it can't - so I have to get that fixed), but I also checked out putting the M2 in the garage and backing out again. Not being able to deactivate the parking control sensors is a major pain and I can understand why so many people have sought out this part. It'll be one of the first changes I make.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #10
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi nick_stp,

I've purchased a new one already, and its sitting in my garage awaiting the delivery of the M2. I bought it from Cotswold Motors in the UK.

The reason I bought it from them was that I was already buying the M Performance Rear Diffuser from them and the additional cost of having the part shipped was $0.

That said, when I was doing my research, and before I decided to get the Rear Diffuser, I found the best place for pricing was here. Note: the pricing on this website is in USD even though it'll tell you it knows you are ordering from Australia. By way of comparison, the price from these guys was about USD$20 less than Cotswold Motors.

I borrowed a demo M2 a few weeks ago to check that it could enter my driveway without bottoming out (it can't - so I have to get that fixed), but I also checked out putting the M2 in the garage and backing out again. Not being able to deactivate the parking control sensors is a major pain and I can understand why so many people have sought out this part. It'll be one of the first changes I make.

Cheers,
Thank you very much for the input, appreciate it.

I fear I might have issue with my driveway as well... Yet to be tested.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
V.Smurf's Avatar
Australia
144
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Thank you very much for the input, appreciate it.
You're welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
I fear I might have issue with my driveway as well... Yet to be tested.
Friends of ours (who drive a Ford Fiesta) had mentioned that their car would bottom out when leaving our driveway. Our Lexus IS250 & BMW X6 had no problem ... but I thought that there was no harm in checking out and getting it fixed before the M2 arrives

See if the dealer can loan you a demo and try it out: I wasn't a pig about it, and drove the demo M2 very carefully into/out of the driveway to be sure that I didn't scratch it. The contact was minor (at a low speed), mostly as a result of the bitumen being about 2 cm higher than the concrete kerb. Anyway, I contacted the council and asked them to fix it ... they gave me a response about how they aren't responsible for those issues unless the road was resurfaced in the prior 12 months.

Long story short, they council has a policy of how these things are managed, and they can (for $450) install a bitumen ramp that removes the problem. I'm yet to get this done, but as you know, I've got at least six weeks to address it Obviously the own/rent equation comes into play here.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
You're welcome

Friends of ours (who drive a Ford Fiesta) had mentioned that their car would bottom out when leaving our driveway. Our Lexus IS250 & BMW X6 had no problem ... but I thought that there was no harm in checking out and getting it fixed before the M2 arrives

See if the dealer can loan you a demo and try it out: I wasn't a pig about it, and drove the demo M2 very carefully into/out of the driveway to be sure that I didn't scratch it. The contact was minor (at a low speed), mostly as a result of the bitumen being about 2 cm higher than the concrete kerb. Anyway, I contacted the council and asked them to fix it ... they gave me a response about how they aren't responsible for those issues unless the road was resurfaced in the prior 12 months.

Long story short, they council has a policy of how these things are managed, and they can (for $450) install a bitumen ramp that removes the problem. I'm yet to get this done, but as you know, I've got at least six weeks to address it Obviously the own/rent equation comes into play here.

Hope this helps!
Thank you again, for your input
I'll give them a go. Cheers.
Nick
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:16 AM   #13
David.m
Second Lieutenant
133
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Just for anyone waiting an LCI (as I posted in the LCI thread) picked up my car today and the rear sensors/camera now switch off immediately you disengage reverse gear (at least in the manual trans).
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf143.50

      09-22-2017, 04:33 AM   #14
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Just for anyone waiting an LCI (as I posted in the LCI thread) picked up my car today and the rear sensors/camera now switch off immediately you disengage reverse gear (at least in the manual trans).
Congrats mate!
Thanks for the update. Anyone has LCI could confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #15
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
V.Smurf's Avatar
Australia
144
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Hi David.m & nick_stp,
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Just for anyone waiting an LCI (as I posted in the LCI thread) picked up my car today and the rear sensors/camera now switch off immediately you disengage reverse gear (at least in the manual trans).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Congrats mate!
Thanks for the update. Anyone has LCI could confirm this?
I borrowed a DCT LCI today and amongst having a (minor) blast driving it and confirming that my council driveway modification has fixed the issue of the car bottoming out ... I can confirm in the DCT transmission, the reversing sensors/camera immediately switch off once you disengage reverse.

Note: I wasn't sufficiently familiar with how you move the DCT stick to go straight from R to D, so I when I disengaged R I went to N ... but I'd be surprised if that changed the behaviour.

I'm still considering whether to install the modification (I already have a new part) and I believe that I would want to control the rear sensors as I can in my X6, but it may not be quite as compelling for others

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 02:49 AM   #16
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi David.m & nick_stp,
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Just for anyone waiting an LCI (as I posted in the LCI thread) picked up my car today and the rear sensors/camera now switch off immediately you disengage reverse gear (at least in the manual trans).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Congrats mate!
Thanks for the update. Anyone has LCI could confirm this?
I borrowed a DCT LCI today and amongst having a (minor) blast driving it and confirming that my council driveway modification has fixed the issue of the car bottoming out ... I can confirm in the DCT transmission, the reversing sensors/camera immediately switch off once you disengage reverse.

Note: I wasn't sufficiently familiar with how you move the DCT stick to go straight from R to D, so I when I disengaged R I went to N ... but I'd be surprised if that changed the behaviour.

I'm still considering whether to install the modification (I already have a new part) and I believe that I would want to control the rear sensors as I can in my X6, but it may not be quite as compelling for others

Cheers!
Thank you very much for the confirmation! And glad to hear that the driveway issue has been resolved.
Regarding the switch, sorry I don?t have any experience with it, but when you turn it on even in D, it will activate the sensors and camera?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 03:16 AM   #17
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
V.Smurf's Avatar
Australia
144
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Thank you very much for the confirmation! And glad to hear that the driveway issue has been resolved.
You're welcome. I'm really stoked that the driveway problem was so easily fixed... the entry/exit from it is now super smooth: I guess I'd never realised how rough it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Regarding the switch, sorry I don?t have any experience with it, but when you turn it on even in D, it will activate the sensors and camera?
I don't know how it will behave in the M2, but in the X6, I can turn on the camera while the car is in D ... the camera will stay on (along with the front/rear sensors) until I reach a particular speed (I'd say 16Km/h), and then it all deactivates.

In the X6, I've found that the switch is useful if I'm moving forward in say a drive through parking spot (like in a carpark where there may be two rows of empty spots and I'm driving through one row so that I can park forward in the next row) ... and I want to see where the tail of the car is to confirm if I've crossed over completely into the desired spot. Or when I come home and I have driven through my gates and I've pressed close on the remote want to see that the gates are closing (the glass in the X6 is thick and the remote frequently needs a second press to get things happening).

I'd have to see how this behaves when I'm in the M2 - I suspect that the coding may be that the camera deactivates when the car is in D, so it may be useless. Or maybe I can find something inside Bimmercode to modify the speed at which the camera cuts out..?

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 05:56 AM   #18
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Or maybe I can find something inside Bimmercode to modify the speed at which the camera cuts out..?
Thank you heaps for the input! In the cases you listed, yes I think the switch would definitely help, given it's working on M2.
And yes, I think you can code the shutdown threshold (both speed and distance) in BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
Cadillac
Second Lieutenant
134
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: M2 DCT BSM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
Thank you very much for the input, appreciate it.

I fear I might have issue with my driveway as well... Yet to be tested.
My 335 E92 bottomed out far more than the M2...short wheel base on the M2 helps
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #20
atlas
Second Lieutenant
Australia
93
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

In my LCI, even once I disengage R (DCT), the beeping continues if I am near an object. I have to switch off the car to stop it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:31 AM   #21
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
52
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 10' e90 (gone), LBB M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
In my LCI, even once I disengage R (DCT), the beeping continues if I am near an object. I have to switch off the car to stop it.
Hi Atlas,
First of all, congrats on the new car!
But the camera does shut off the second you disengage R? I didn't quite pay attention if the beeping is there (maybe I never park too close to the rear)... But the camera does go off once it's out of R.
Anyone can confirm if the beeping also goes off once out of R for LCI?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #22
atlas
Second Lieutenant
Australia
93
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Yep the camera disengages
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST