08-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Number Plate Mounting Brackets

Hi Folks,

I'd been trying to reach Philip at Lakin Plates, but it looks like he has shutdown his business (for the moment, temporarily) until December.

With my car being delivered in November, I'll need to look at alternatives.

While I'd have much preferred to use the Lakin solution, it looks like I've got no choice. Anyone have any recommendations ..?

I think that Fab_R had a front mount plate that hangs off the portion of the grill below the bumper (which I strongly prefer), but beyond that ... I don't have much of a preference.

I'm intending on getting mini-Euro plates ...

All suggestions appreciated

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Shame about Philip not being available as i use one of his brackets on the back.
Pretty sure Fab is like myself now and has used 3M tape to adhere the front plate on, I'd suggest doing the same and for the rear also, atleast until Lakin is back open, unless you want to drill holes in the plate.
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf162.00
      08-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

He's not been taking orders for a few months now so I've found myself in the same situation & having custom plates I'm not going to drill holes in the middle of the back plate.
As a temp solution I bought the Kingpin backing plates (& their covers which I had planned anyway to use with the Lakin backs), unfortunately the Kingpin backs are imo too bulky, 10mm thick & extend 2-3mm beyond the covers all way around (the cover sits in a recess ontop of the back plate).
Now thinking I will make my own backing plate (at least for the rear plate) using perspex sheeting, this stuff at Bunnings https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-9...sheet_p1010492 looks like it should be OK (black as my plates are black background & car BSM), using some double sides tape in addition to the 2 screws should prevent vibrations & contact/damage to the paint finish.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

Same here, it's a shame he's shutting for for now. He's got his family to attend to, so we're on our own...
As for the bracket, I think I've come across a brand called JDM?

Edit: anyone tried this? http://secureaplate.net.au

Last edited by nick_stp; 08-10-2017 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi Prodigy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Pretty sure Fab is like myself now and has used 3M tape to adhere the front plate on
I asked the dealer about installing the plate like Fab had done (below the bumper, but covering part of the radiator), and they won't do that. I guess that Fab has moved his plates now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
3M tape to adhere the front plate on, I'd suggest doing the same and for the rear also, atleast until Lakin is back open, unless you want to drill holes in the plate.
I'm pretty new to modifying the car ... going to have a crack at a few things ... so I'm not familiar with 3M tape. Obviously its something double-sided ... but is it a special automotive type of tape..? And where do I get it ...? Bunnings..? (can't see anything on their website)

And great suggestion about using the tape until Lakin is back in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
anyone tried this? http://secureaplate.net.au
Looks like it might be possible for the rear, but not the front. I don't know the dimensions of the plates I'm getting, so I'm going to email the vplates guys and ask. I also don't know what the space is between the holes in the boot lid ... which is an important detail when figuring out which backing plate to buy.

Is there any reason that something like this wouldn't work..? Is it legal to fit a number plate via the towing hook..?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 02:02 AM   #6
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post

Looks like it might be possible for the rear, but not the front. I don't know the dimensions of the plates I'm getting, so I'm going to email the vplates guys and ask. I also don't know what the space is between the holes in the boot lid ... which is an important detail when figuring out which backing plate to buy.

Is there any reason that something like this wouldn't work..? Is it legal to fit a number plate via the towing hook..?

Cheers,
I think SECUREaPLATE has quite a few pre-drilled holes so that you can always find a set of them that will fit the pre-drilled on the car right?

I think the towing hook mounting bracket is legal. According to VicRoads:
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-number-plates, as long as it's in the front & visible, it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 03:17 AM   #7
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi Prodigy,

I asked the dealer about installing the plate like Fab had done (below the bumper, but covering part of the radiator), and they won't do that. I guess that Fab has moved his plates now...

I'm pretty new to modifying the car ... going to have a crack at a few things ... so I'm not familiar with 3M tape. Obviously its something double-sided ... but is it a special automotive type of tape..? And where do I get it ...? Bunnings..? (can't see anything on their website)

And great suggestion about using the tape until Lakin is back in business
I normally purchase it off ebay, it's a double sided automotive tape:
Like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-Genuin....c100005.m1851
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 01:13 AM   #8
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

For the front plate, what do you guys think about this https://www.autoware.com.au/shop/for...stang-bracket/
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 01:26 AM   #9
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi Nick,
Quote:
For the front plate, what do you guys think about this https://www.autoware.com.au/shop/for...stang-bracket/
I've ordered the Platypus number plate system from Cravenspeed. I've decided to purchase slimline Euro plates (which are 372mm x 100mm), so to get this mounted correctly, I'm using the Kingpin slimline number plate cover & mounting frame: the Cravenspeed guys have supplied me the European number plate backing plate, and have custom drilled some holes in it so that they line up with the Kingpin frame.

Its currently on its way here ... I'll soon find out how good (or otherwise) it is. The Cravenspeed guys were really very helpful.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that it mounts to the left and isn't centered on the car. If I don't like it, and least I've explored all the options to avoid getting the front bumper drilled

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

To those who might still be interested - Lakin Plates is now closed for good.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
I had one of these on my GT350, and it fell off while the car was in winter storage - a story I’ve heard several times. It’s not really very solid when it’s mounted either - you have to have the top of the plate flush against the bumper (with clear rubber pads) to keep it from vibrating and moving and loosening at speed, which can mar the surface of the bumper. The company never replied to my messages asking for help.

Even after all of this, I still looked at installing it on my M2 - it fits, but you need to position the mounting pad very carefully. In the end, I decided to go for the Carbonio instead: https://www.carbonio.com/BMW_s/178.htm.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
PASHN8
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2

Quote:
To those who might still be interested - Lakin Plates is now closed for good.
Shame he can't sell the tooling to someone like Kingpin so the great product can carry on. He has a loyal following in Australia across all marques.
      03-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I got the carbonio mount for my car too. Works perfectly.
Appreciate 0