E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Had my windshield replaced, is this normal?

06-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Had my windshield replaced, is this normal?

Safelite just replaced my windshield today. Is the windshield sensor cover supposed to be flushed with the windshield? Right now there's a large gap and I can see the plugs and sensors connected if I look sideways. I don't know if this is normal but it bothers me...
Attached Images

06-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

in my car it sits flush, perhaps try wiggling the housing around to see if it will pop back in place
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

I believe that mine sits flush, but it's a 2006 325i without the auto dimming. Yours may be different. I would look up a DIY that requires removal of the mirror to see what the bottom looks like and see if it can be fixed, call Safelite and complain if that doesn't work. How much did the replacement cost you? I'm geographically close and considering a new windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost View Post
Safelite just replaced my windshield today. Is the windshield sensor cover supposed to be flushed with the windshield? Right now there's a large gap and I can see the plugs and sensors connected if I look sideways. I don't know if this is normal but it bothers me...
Tell them they f'ed up and you need it to work properly like the oem glass
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

It should sit flush with the windshield. Try popping off the cover and reseating it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
also, did you get a local guy with an inpa laptop to spend 5 seconds to reset your RLS (Rain Light Sensor) because of the new glass?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
also, did you get a local guy with an inpa laptop to spend 5 seconds to reset your RLS (Rain Light Sensor) because of the new glass?
Interesting you mention that. I did not reset and for several months the wipers basically would not engage in high-speed mode, possibly because the replacement windshield had tinting up top where the sensor is. six months later the situation seems to have rectified itself without me doing anything.
      07-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Interesting you mention that. I did not reset and for several months the wipers basically would not engage in high-speed mode, possibly because the replacement windshield had tinting up top where the sensor is. six months later the situation seems to have rectified itself without me doing anything.
The sensor will automatically adjust over time to compensate for windshield imperfections, wear, and dirt.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
No I didn't. I didn't even know about this; is this a requirement? I have a Schwaben(sp?) scan tool. I wonder if I can do it there.

Well, I'm scheduled to talk to the shop manager of Safelite tomorrow. The tech tore off a piece of my steering wheel. I was so angry. I called my insurance and gave them earful. Luckily the tech took pictures before he started the work of the steering wheel (me too) and Safelite reviewed the pics and sure enough they messed up. Going to see how we can work out repair details tomorrow. Argh. I'll let them know also the housing isn't flush and they need to fix that as well.
      07-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
bennye90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

The housing should sit flush or minimally off of the windshield. Got mine replaced as well and the installer did not put the housing on properly. Just disassemble and reassemble correctly.

As well as the rain sensor, it will be a little wacky at first but I assume it'll adjust. Mine has been "lagging" the first couple rainfalls but overtime it seems like its picking up and sensing consistently. Idk if it is all placebo but that my input.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
No I didn't. I didn't even know about this; is this a requirement? I have a Schwaben(sp?) scan tool. I wonder if I can do it there.
Yes, it will reset the windshield sensor.
Appreciate 0