BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Jalopnik Dinan M2 S2 Review

04-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #23
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Yeah. But once you have 460hp for a suspension that was designed for 360hp you have to address that too. That is if you want to turn the car. Not saying that you need every Dinan bit, but it would be good to balance the power and suspension mods.
I really disagree here. The suspension is overengineered. Hell it comes out of the M3 and we know how much power that makes. What are you hoping for exactly? Stiffer? It's fine. When the time comes, bushings and Ground Control will fix it right up. But until things wear out I have to think it's just fine. I do use the word fine, as GC and KW kits are always much better than stock but I'm not really equating "better" with "more competent" in a track scenario.

What specifically about the mild increase to cornering speeds with +100hp has you concerned in the stock suspension setup?
      04-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #24
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Yeah. But once you have 460hp for a suspension that was designed for 360hp you have to address that too. That is if you want to turn the car. Not saying that you need every Dinan bit, but it would be good to balance the power and suspension mods.
I really disagree here. The suspension is overengineered. Hell it comes out of the M3 and we know how much power that makes. What are you hoping for exactly? Stiffer? It's fine. When the time comes, bushings and Ground Control will fix it right up. But until things wear out I have to think it's just fine. I do use the word fine, as GC and KW kits are always much better than stock but I'm not really equating "better" with "more competent" in a track scenario.

What specifically about the mild increase to cornering speeds with +100hp has you concerned in the stock suspension setup?
I'm not saying the car is going to blow up, but you add a lot more stress to a suspension not made for 30% more hp and torque, you're asking for trouble. I have no idea where folks get the idea that they over engineered the suspension. What else did they overemgineer? Why just the suspension? We'll see if they put the same suspension in the CS with 400hp.

And this from a U.K. M2 owner on the new thread on the CS and GTS:

I'm running 410/420hp at the minute and il be honest, unless they sort the suspension out its not worth having the extra power. On the country roads in the UK the car fights the suspension at full tilt (tune on) and all your left with is the feeling that the suspension and chassis cannot cope with the power, tourque and surface. Even with traction off (dsc still on) you find it coming on for a second and that can also be enough to unsettle the car. On smooth roads it's great, but any bumps and it just doesn't work as one until. Switch back to stock, albeit with dp and intercooler, it's much more compliant. Basically, it's great for the track but not as great on b roads.. Just my opinion.

Once again, be sure to let us know how you like the setup in a couple months. All the best. I don't expect much love on a thread about going faster in a straight line...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #25
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not saying the car is going to blow up, but you add a lot more stress to a suspension not made for 30% more hp and torque, you're asking for trouble. I have no idea where folks get the idea that they over engineered the suspension. What else did they overemgineer? Why just the suspension? We'll see if they put the same suspension in the CS with 400hp.

I'm running 410/420hp at the minute and il be honest, unless they sort the suspension out its not worth having the extra power. On the country roads in the UK the car fights the suspension at full tilt (tune on) and all your left with is the feeling that the suspension and chassis cannot cope with the power, tourque and surface. Even with traction off (dsc still on) you find it coming on for a second and that can also be enough to unsettle the car. On smooth roads it's great, but any bumps and it just doesn't work as one until. Switch back to stock, albeit with dp and intercooler, it's much more compliant. Basically, it's great for the track but not as great on b roads.. Just my opinion.

Once again, be sure to let us know how you like the setup in a couple months. All the best. I don't expect much love on a thread about going faster in a straight line...
Can't say I understand where you're coming from. The best I can do is speak to it from a corner entry speed which.. Maybe... Just maybe is faster? Trying to understand how suspension will be noticeably different?

You're talking about the stress of components under the newfound torque. Like are you talking about acceleration squat? Are you talking about going over bumps? Are you talking about tires? As in not having enough contact patch because yes I can buy that.

Usually the car is balanced mid turn. You're not taking much advantage of that power on entry or mid turn but rather only on exit so I'm still confused as to where specifically you think day to day stresses are significantly increased.
      04-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #26
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STK
Quote:
Quote:

Can't say I understand where you're coming from. The best I can do is speak to it from a corner entry speed which.. Maybe... Just maybe is faster? Trying to understand how suspension will be noticeably different?

You're talking about the stress of components under the newfound torque. Like are you talking about acceleration squat? Are you talking about going over bumps? Are you talking about tires? As in not having enough contact patch because yes I can buy that.

Usually the car is balanced mid turn. You're not taking much advantage of that power on entry or mid turn but rather only on exit so I'm still confused as to where specifically you think day to day stresses are significantly increased.
The M240 is just as fast as a M2. It's the suspension that makes the M2 faster around a track and faster around "canyons." It seems the M2 that did the 7:22 around the ring had mostly suspension mods not engine mods. Unless you're going in a straight line the suspension will make you faster in a car made for handling not drag racing. But everyone wants to go fast in a straight line. Have at it. And good luck. Please have the last word.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #27
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:

They over-engineered the suspension because they didn't want to make a new one for the M2, so they used the f82/f84 suspension, which nobody thus far is claiming is not up to the task of handling the car to which its attached, at least in the sense of being overpowered.

And no, I don't prefer to go in a straight line. In fact, I own two other cars that will walk my little M2, with or without the Dinan kit, in a straight line. The M2 is not for dragging, at least for me.

I like to turn just fine. I just have more faith in BMW M-car engineering than you do, apparently
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52272.00
      04-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #28
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
The M240 is just as fast as a M2. It's the suspension that makes the M2 faster around a track and faster around "canyons." It seems the M2 that did the 7:22 around the ring had mostly suspension mods not engine mods. Unless you're going in a straight line the suspension will make you faster in a car made for handling not drag racing. But everyone wants to go fast in a straight line. Have at it. And good luck. Please have the last word.
Yes to most of it. But also the M2 is faster than the M240 due to the torque overboost which also comes handy
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #29
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

In Matt Farah's review he believes Dinan softened up the suspension, but if you look at Dinan's website the suspension kit is just springs/perches to allow for height adjustment and it reuses the stock dampers. The Dinan springs are also stiffer which doesn't help to soften the ride. The only other thing they changed that could affect ride comfort are the tires. I bet the Pirell's are not as harsh and being they are wider tires also helps when driving over bumpy roads. The MPSS are notoriously stiff over bumps or joints in the road. I bet changing out the stock tires to a size wider front/rear with new MP4S would go a long way without having to do anything to the stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
In Matt Farah's review he believes Dinan softened up the suspension, but if you look at Dinan's website the suspension kit is just springs/perches to allow for height adjustment and it reuses the stock dampers. The Dinan springs are also stiffer which doesn't help to soften the ride. The only other thing they changed that could affect ride comfort are the tires. I bet the Pirell's are not as harsh and being they are wider tires also helps when driving over bumpy roads. The MPSS are notoriously stiff over bumps or joints in the road. I bet changing out the stock tires to a size wider front/rear with new MP4S would go a long way without having to do anything to the stock suspension.
Actually the main reason it feels softer is because we are using linear springs versus the factory progressive springs. So, while the rate is technically stiffer then stock, it behaves quit a bit different and ultimately isn't as harsh.
Appreciate 3
Tag18135.50
DrKevM52272.00
      04-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #31
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Actually the main reason it feels softer is because we are using linear springs versus the factory progressive springs. So, while the rate is technically stiffer then stock, it behaves quit a bit different and ultimately isn't as harsh.
Interesting, good to know.
Appreciate 0